Tesla Model 3 Performance

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
It tells that BEV buyers care more about range than about any other (useless) gadget. Even performance is not the most important thing, but comes easy/sufficiently with BEVs. It tells that range IS important, and cannot be dismissed, even if most don't need it daily. But nothing new, we all knew it, regardless of what carmakers/(some or many) pro BEV advocates claim.
True, and I have actual ownership experience of both versions of the Tesla Model 3 (Standard Range Plus RWD and Long Range AWD). Anybody can ask questions btw...

Even in the gas world (ICE), customers have long expected acceptable range and almost all cars deliver range over 300 miles. Acceptable highway range numbers are important for both ICE and BEV for road trips.

The automakers that claim lower range is acceptable are faking it until they can make it (or until they can profitably deliver a BEV with efficient battery technology).

mikeavelli

Reactions
It’s insane how in every city these are all over. Happened to be at GA Tech for some stuff and it’s summer and i saw like a dozen of them around.

We cannot say people don’t want sedans cause this sedan is outselling every luxury branded vehicle. They want something like this.

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
It’s insane how in every city these are all over. Happened to be at GA Tech for some stuff and it’s summer and i saw like a dozen of them around.

We cannot say people don’t want sedans cause this sedan is outselling every luxury branded vehicle. They want something like this.
Totally in agreement.

Counterpoint though, are folks buying this because its a sedan they want, or are they buying this because this its the cheapest Tesla they can afford to be part of the new fad?

Will1991

Reactions
I’m sure it happens, but it’s also the best value BEV on the market… And it’s not even close!

Even with its flaws, it’s a better BEV than other considerably more expensive options.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Totally in agreement.

Counterpoint though, are folks buying this because its a sedan they want, or are they buying this because this its the cheapest Tesla they can afford to be part of the new fad?
Good question. Model Y is best selling model in US. I’ve never met a Tesla owner that decided on 3 over Y due to price, and the price difference isn’t huge for comparable trim levels.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Totally in agreement.

Well the value leader at 35k is gone and that was still and expensive car. I just think some people still want sedans they just want one like this. Seems all the Euros and Toyota is aiming for cuvs only or super expensive sedans. Just the taycan and etron stand out as sedans but they are expensive. So is the Benz EQE and EQS. I can’t really consider Lucid in this space cause the price is ridiculous. It is a sedan. Probably would have killed it with one at 50k.

Then you got the leaf and bolt which is on the cheaper end no one wants.

LS500-18

Follower
Reactions
No one buys a Model 3 because a sedan is what they want, they buy it because it's the cheapest version of the lifestyle car they can show off to everyone in. It's a glorified iPad on wheels that looks like a frog with hit-or-miss build quality and hit-or-miss service. If the Model Y was cheaper they would sell lots more of them instead.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Lol, gibberish about Model 3 not true ^. SMFH and talk about "lifestyle car", whatever that is. Model Y (and Model 3) backlog is several months out and demand only gets stronger as price goes up. Model Y production/output cannot keep up.

btw-Model 3 $35K never really existed, it was just s special order (in store only) that was software-limited with no hardware changes from the $40K standard range version. Only a few hundred were actually sold, mostly to the cheap and poorly informed, bad choice.

Last edited:

mikeavelli

Reactions
I was in Bend Oregon with Lexus and there is a Tesla store there and Tesla’s everywhere. Shocked me. Every city I travel too this and the Model Y are everywhere. You can’t help but applaud it. They nailed what people want.

LS500-18

Follower
Reactions
I rode in a Model 3 with full self driving this weekend. The car is bare bones economy car inside, didn't ride particularly well, and when he turned FSD on it drove down the centre of the street causing oncoming traffic to get out of the way and then just turned into a parking lot not on the correct path and started accelerating into parked semi trailers. 100% joke of a car and FSD system. Some people are just so gullible they buy the cars I guess...

mikeavelli

Reactions
I rode in a Model 3 with full self driving this weekend. The car is bare bones economy car inside, didn't ride particularly well, and when he turned FSD on it drove down the centre of the street causing oncoming traffic to get out of the way and then just turned into a parking lot not on the correct path and started accelerating into parked semi trailers. 100% joke of a car and FSD system. Some people are just so gullible they buy the cars I guess...
Right most car buyers are not enthusiasts. This is EV vanilla ice cream and most of these people overlook those things. But omg look at the range lol….

For the price I don’t even think there is another full EV sedan is there? All i can remember are CUVs.

mikeavelli

Reactions
I just realized the Model 3 starts at 46k now. Didn’t it used to start at 36k?

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
I just realized the Model 3 starts at 46k now. Didn’t it used to start at 36k?
Realistically, it used to start at $40K a while back (the $35K never existed because it was a special order software limited version that nobody bought). Like every in demand automobile sold in US, prices have increased dramatically.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Realistically, it used to start at $40K a while back (the $35K never existed because it was a special order software limited version that nobody bought). Like every in demand automobile sold in US, prices have increased dramatically.

Ah makes sense. Crazy to think 4-5 years later and it still has no head on competition.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
i think people are forgetting about what the Prius really was.

These are social statement cars, of a nascent variety. They appeal to people who don’t own a car but have a room in their house for their VR setup and $10,000 gaming PC and a new cell phone each year.

Prius:
30DF6193-0930-413E-B543-F6D107158062.jpeg

Model 3:
5C4C11D1-5B44-45D8-A7EC-5F79CBA5467C.jpeg

After its first decade, this:
1660594837048.jpeg

Was still dominating. It took nearly another decade to see it drawn down.

1660594895888.png

spwolf

Expert
Reactions

If you look at it as if you want to hate it, then yes.
If you want to try to see why it is successful, then you would look at it different way.

It is definitely not bare bones economy car, it definitely does not ride bad, and its FSD is best FSD that exists.

So OMG, Tesla auto steering is so bad, I will then buy a Toyota/Mercedes/Ford/BMW with much worse auto steering.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
I was in Bend Oregon with Lexus and there is a Tesla store there and Tesla’s everywhere. Shocked me. Every city I travel too this and the Model Y are everywhere. You can’t help but applaud it. They nailed what people want.

there is simply a lot of things that Tesla does right, and that appeal to people.

Somehow everyone else is still catching up, and if you want an EV, it is really still dumb to buy anything else. It is going to have more problems than Tesla, it is going to be much, much harder to find charging, forget the range and everything else.

I think what everyone has to be afraid about in the car industry, is that kids love Tesla. I live in Croatia, we have a LOT of nice, tricked out BMWs, Audis and Mercedes running around. People do not turn after my M3P, nothing special anymore since there are also Teslas around.

Kids do. Everywhere I go, i have fingers pointing at the car and them saying it is a Tesla. Could be in the downtown, could be in the village somewhere, could be on the beach where they are Germans, Czecs, Italian kids. Kids adore the Tesla. And there are many good reasons for that - unmatched multimedia, cool features, crazy acceleration, etc. I had kids going out of AMGs and being amazed by the ride in Tesla. Couldnt give a crap about old school luxury in AMG. Amazed by cool tech stuff in Tesla.

This should be very scary to the automobile industry as a whole. Very scary.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
I don’t see that sort of thing here at all. Teslas are somewhat common but I don’t know anyone who is nuts for those cars. It’s like seeing a Camry, but ugly and poorly built.

Plus all the ones I see are white basic budget spec cars.

Like I said, it’s an image for some, but that stuff gets old quick especially given them getting beat to market on electric trucks and supercars.

The only people or kids I’ve seen who flip out over them are the ones who very clearly have nothing to compare it to, experience wise