Tesla Model 3 Performance

spwolf

Expert
Reactions

S, X, and Y could use a revamp as well. Cybertruck staying irrelevant.

S and X just got it.

3 and Y will probably be done at same or similar time, they both got mild refresh last year.

Tesla is going with TMC approach, they are giving more budget for revamp for their most sold vehicles.

LS500-18

Follower
Reactions
S and X just got it.
Not really, the 2016-2023 Model S/X look identical from the outside. Putting in a yoke and turning the screen sideways does not constitute a revamp.

99% of the population can't tell the difference between a 2012 Model S and 2023 Model S.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Not really, the 2016-2023 Model S/X look identical from the outside. Putting in a yoke and turning the screen sideways does not constitute a revamp.

99% of the population can't tell the difference between a 2012 Model S and 2023 Model S.
Yes, but it doesn't change the fact that "S and X just got it" / revamped.
And the Model S in lucrative US market outsells the S class, 7 series, LS, A8 easily in its revamped form.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Tesla slapped $7500 on the hood in December to move it. Demand is waning. Needs a substantial update and not just extending the range.
Yes, and as mentioned earlier:

"The discount on new Model 3 sedans and Model Y sport utility vehicles is double what the company was offering earlier this month. It mirrors an anticipated change in how much of a tax credit certain consumers will be eligible for early next year. Free supercharging is small potatoes for Tesla (with an expiration date), but customers lap it up.

Tesla vehicles were expected to be in line for $3,750 tax credits starting in January as part of changes that the Inflation Reduction Act made to federal incentives for electric vehicles. That changed this week when the US Treasury Department announced it was delaying guidance on new battery content requirements. Postponing those restrictions likely will make certain EV models eligible for a full $7,500 credit early next year."

In short it worked for Q4 2022, US customers took the money and took delivery. Many (upper income) customers took the discount and took delivery in December, a sure thing when compared to qualifying for possible fed incentives.

Agreed, 3 and Y due for another update soon.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
I dont see those cars with 4 and 5 figure incentives to move them for an arbitrary calendar year end.
Teslas cost of capital is skyrocketing its why theyre pushing to juice numbers despite knowing there is a pull forward effect.
Lets see how the i7 does next year. Sales at Tesla disappointed this year, as i expected.
I think 2023 will be a bellweather year for Tesla.

mikeavelli

Reactions
I believe I read too their Lithium contract has been canned. No more flat rates it will be an adjustable rate. That won’t help at all.

With demand for that mineral off the charts EV prices for everyone will continue to climb fast.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
Yes, but it doesn't change the fact that "S and X just got it" / revamped.
And the Model S in lucrative US market outsells the S class, 7 series, LS, A8 easily in its revamped form.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions

Great news. I've driven several S and X models with the yoke and consistently disliked it.
I see they have an affordable retrofit option too for those that took delivery earlier with yoke.

Will1991

Reactions
They did the same in Europe, it's a tremendous car for the value!

I'm happy they did it and I hope they manage to keep this kind of prices, it will certainly make other OEM's improve their products or lower their prices (TMC).

mikeavelli

Reactions
Oh hey look at that their "industry beating" margin outperformance disappeared to keep hitting growth targets. And strangely as cash isnt free any more and competition is trickling in.

Scaling is hard.

Imagine you have to sell a product based on tax credits. I wouldn’t mind a V-8 tax credit if you don’t drive it much. Probably better for the environment lol

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Imagine you have to sell a product based on tax credits. I wouldn’t mind a V-8 tax credit if you don’t drive it much. Probably better for the environment lol
Exactly how many Tesla EV competitors have recently attempted to "sell" EV products based on tax credits with very weak success (since Tesla tax credits in last couple years were gone).
The Tesla price cuts alone noted above are drastic and "will certainly make other OEM's improve their products or lower their prices". This is significant (troubling to many at other automakers) automotive industry news.
On top of that (to your point) and another competitive edge, the already exteremely popular M3 MY Teslas after price cuts potentially could qualify for the tax credits, assuming other criteria is met by the automaker and the buyer.

Personally, I have a V8, but my EV is actually faster and more useful as a daily driver therefore it gets driven twice as much. And my EV is better for my pocketbook and the environment.

Last edited:

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions

The price cuts aren't trivial. The seven-seat Model Y is a whopping $13,000 cheaper than it was prior to the discount. Some of these costs have been absorbed elsewhere; the price for Tesla's Full Self Driving package (which remains in beta, not to mention under investigation by federal regulators) has crept up to $15,000.

Those impacted directly by the sudden increase have started asking for consideration in some form, be it in the form of free upgrades or other incentives. Some have suggested customers try to take advantage of Tesla's no-questions-asked return policy, but that was quietly discontinued in 2020.

The price cuts also have the potential of degrading the value of used Teslas. With more car buyers taking out larger and longer loans, this could put some Tesla owners upside down on their loans.

Last edited:

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
^ Some number of Tesla customers are always irate over every price reduction and every price increase, predictabley.:cry:
Today the happy ones are those with open orders, their price will end up being the lower price on website upon delivery date.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Here we go, Ford just announced cutting prices and ramping up production on Mach-Es.