Tesla Model 3 Performance

spwolf

Expert
Reactions

I wonder how many of you drove Model 3, especially Performance?

Tesla finally arrived to my piece of Eastern Europe, so I took 1hr drive over city streets and highway with my buddy.
Previously I did not even want to take a look due to poor charging infrastructure and fact that they had no service shop locally - both of those things are changing due to EU and Tesla.

Quick Impressions on 2020 M3 Performance with 990km on the clock

Good
- Amazingly fast, like a bullet train.
- Effortless driving experience, luxurious feel to powertrain. It just goes on. My 3.0 TFSI felt like crap afterwards in every way. Slow, noisy, annoying.
- Cheap locally, M3P is cheaper than A4/3 series/C class if similar equipped with 3.0 TDI engines (much slower and worse experience).
- Intuitive - things that annoy me with my 2015 A7 are much better here, like auto hold, cameras, smoother cruise control, little things.
- Big screen and two stalks work just fine, i got used to it all in minutes. It is fine.
- Multimedia looks good, big screen is useful.
- Firm, sporty but not trashy suspension - those batteries at the bottom really do help. Feels like sports rocket.
- SC network is ok even here and CCS fast chargers are being built everywhere.
- Exterior looks OK - feels like we can make it look really nice with some dark wheels and few other bits and pieces.

Mediocre
- Interior is like a nice Toyota quality. It is not luxurious in any way comparable to Lexus, even ES. Felt like it could be more desirable.
- There were some small squeaks even on brand new car, I did not even care to look at obvious panel gaps, it is what it is.
- Powertrain did make some interesting noises at 100 mph, hopefully it is just all normal and not some issue with motors or parts of suspension. It was fine.
- Space was little bit on average side, i thought due to not have an engine and transmission, etc, you would end up having with fair amount of space at the back. Not really. Like Corolla? Def not Camry or A6.
- Seats are pretty short and my legs were hurting after 1hr drive. Obviously worse than my A7 and even more than my IS seats.
- Autopilot stuff mostly does not work in EU so it was just nothing special. Good cruise control though?

Ugly
- At 100 mph (legal here), range just goes away stupidly fast. Probably a lot less than 200 miles range at those speeds. That sucks really bad. So you have this stupidly fast bullet train but if you drive it fast you have to charge it 2x more often than regular big/fast car at those speeds, and then it takes f. long time. So unless you drive at 70 mph and under speed limit, your driving experience at 100mph highways will simply suck. SCs are not every 10 miles here, i would end up charging at 50kwh if I am being bad boy.
- Premium Sound system is awful compared to ML and B/O. It matters to me - after reading how it is better than most premium audio systems by many Tesla drivers who are apparently professional sound engineers, it is just funny. Sounds like Corolla with added few extra speakers. Settings were fine, radio station same as i always listen, it is just very mediocre. I don't understand it really.
- No Android Auto, just annoying that I will have to plugin my phone for good nav as in old car.

So drive itself is future. Every other powertrain feels slow and unrefined. There is no other way about it.

I just wish there is another hook for me, ie if ONE of these was true:
- hwy mileage was useful
- interior was not plain
- sound system was great
- autopilot was fully on

I would probably pull the plug and buy it... I dont like my A7 too much.

Just need another reason to justify it.

So who else drove it, what did you think?

Last edited:

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
I might be biased since I'm an EV enthusiast, but my suggestion has always been "if you want to experience EV today, just buy a Tesla".

The thing about the EV experience is that it's impossible to go back to ICEV! The performance and NVH are simply on two completely different levels.

The highway electric consumption problem is impossible to fix, you can't fix physics. An ICEV will suffer too at high speeds.

When you buy an EV today, it means you have to live with the good, bad, and ugly. You adapt to the new driving style around it. If you don't want the car to be intrusive to your life and just want a transport tool, don't buy and go for something more practical like PHV first.

Sulu

Expert
Reactions
Highway electricity consumption may be reduced with the use of a multi-ratio transmission for the electric motor(s), other than the single-ratio transmission that all EVs -- with the exception of the Porsche Taycan -- now use.

The use of a multi-ratio transmission, with a tall top gear ratio, is one reason why internal combustion engined vehicles use so little fuel at highway speeds (compared to their urban, stop-and-go fuel consumption).

When the Tesla Roadster was first introduced in 2008, it was supposed to have a 2-speed automatic transmission but they could not get it to work, so they switched to a single-speed, fixed-gear transmission. I wonder how different current Teslas would be if they all had multi-speed transmissions rather than the fixed-gear transmission.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Yes, I've driven the Performance variants of all new Tesla models, but the M3P is my favorite sporty Tesla by far.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
I might be biased since I'm an EV enthusiast, but my suggestion has always been "if you want to experience EV today, just buy a Tesla".

The thing about the EV experience is that it's impossible to go back to ICEV! The performance and NVH are simply on two completely different levels.

The highway electric consumption problem is impossible to fix, you can't fix physics. An ICEV will suffer too at high speeds.

When you buy an EV today, it means you have to live with the good, bad, and ugly. You adapt to the new driving style around it. If you don't want the car to be intrusive to your life and just want a transport tool, don't buy and go for something more practical like PHV first.

Difference is that my A7 3.0 TFSI can easily do >700km at 100 mph real life driving on my routes, while M3 can do... 250-270km? That is quite a difference for vehicle that is rated at 580 km under WLTP.

For city, being able to do 400-450km is great, i would have to charge is 2x per month and thats it... but for European highway driving at high speeds, it means that for less than 2hrs of driving, i have to charge for 30-40m.

PHEV actually makes less sense for many Europeans - if you live in apt building and cant charge at home, it is hard to get PHEV to make any sense at that point. BEVs are ok since you can fast charge them once for many days of city driving - even if it is not great for battery.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Very fair review. I’ve driven as well, still feels like toy to me but I get the popularity.

I just love my engine sounds.....

i never knew i disliked engine sounds until i drove M3P :).
3.0 TFSI and DSG gear changing sounded so coarse and unrefined afterwards.

Keep in mind I was able to gun it quite a lot, maybe that is the difference.
Out of all the faults i saw, sound system seems easiest to solve but that is really hard for them to do as Tesla fans adore anything Tesla does, so for things like sound system, seats, even rear space, anyone who complains is called out as hater and you end up reading how Tesla has "best sound system ever put in a car" "most comfortable seats", etc. Such a shame.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions

When you buy an EV today, it means you have to live with the good, bad, and ugly. You adapt to the new driving style around it.

yep, I am aware. It would be nice if the M3P was a little bit more posh.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Highway electricity consumption may be reduced with the use of a multi-ratio transmission for the electric motor(s), other than the single-ratio transmission that all EVs -- with the exception of the Porsche Taycan -- now use.

it is apparently crazy expensive

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Cost could be reduced if more EVs adopted multi-speed transmissions. Tesla could not make theirs work and apparently gave up on it.

i remember that for 4GS450h, they removed two gears or however they called for huge cost saving... it is just the fact that you need to be able to control huge amount of torque means that it gets cost prohibitive.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Sold 2020 Model 3 Standard Range Plus to a relative that needed it to replace their terribly low range 2016 Nissan Leaf.
I went the value route: 2021 Model 3 Long Range AWD w/Performance Upgrade for $2K (0-60 in 3.7 seconds versus 4.2 seconds).

Attachments

• 2021 M3 LR AWD_031921.jpg
    2021 M3 LR AWD_031921.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 6

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Sold 2020 Model 3 Standard Range Plus to a relative that needed it to replace their terribly low range 2016 Nissan Leaf.
I went the value route: 2021 Model 3 Long Range AWD w/Performance Upgrade for $2K (0-60 in 3.7 seconds versus 4.2 seconds).

how do you like it?

Lexucator

Fan
Reactions
i never knew i disliked engine sounds until i drove M3P :).
3.0 TFSI and DSG gear changing sounded so coarse and unrefined afterwards.

Keep in mind I was able to gun it quite a lot, maybe that is the difference.
Out of all the faults i saw, sound system seems easiest to solve but that is really hard for them to do as Tesla fans adore anything Tesla does, so for things like sound system, seats, even rear space, anyone who complains is called out as hater and you end up reading how Tesla has "best sound system ever put in a car" "most comfortable seats", etc. Such a shame.
Thank you for your review. Good critique.

I get what you mean in regards to Tesla fans calling out critics of the brand and labeling them as haters. It’s as if Elon himself pays these people to troll the critics online.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
how do you like it?
Enjoying it so far first month / 900 miles. Longest trip 300 miles in a day. Fast, smooth and comfy. Premium sound system (standard equipment) is fine, mine works like it’s supposed to. Interior changes in 2021 improve experience and were needed. Great integration of hardware/software as expected. At steady 80 mph (normal CA cruising speed on freeway) i achieve 70-75% of advertised range. EPA range is 353 miles (no separate rating for city versus highway yet, I think they need this).
Let me know If you have questions, I have significant actual experience with these cars, although I spend little time on fan boy discussions.

mikeavelli

Reactions
It’s astonishing how many of these I see daily. It’s not a cheap vehicle. Most are white. Really an astonishing feat. People clearly want sedans and Tesla has delivered.