Tesla Model 3 Performance

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
In many ways, it is best car I have ever owned.

It is not perfect though, and I can see the path where EVs can get better in the future, like with range and charging, but so far it is exceeding my expectations.

Also, while build quality is not as good as Toyota, materials are certainly premium and overall car feels in between premium and luxury.

Reactions
In many ways, it is best car I have ever owned.

It is not perfect though, and I can see the path where EVs can get better in the future, like with range and charging, but so far it is exceeding my expectations.

Also, while build quality is not as good as Toyota, materials are certainly premium and overall car feels in between premium and luxury.
my advice for you is to do a/c modification. Your ac will smelly like dirty socks after a couple of runs.

The car is quiet but road noise it the only thing you will hear because insulation on the car is very minimal.

Will1991

Reactions

Do you feel any range anxiety with it? Any SUC network around you?

I almost bought one, but I couldn’t get over some aspects of it… In my opinion it’s one of the best BEV’s right now. Efficient, fast… Hope you get lots of fun and miles with it!

How are you dealing with regen being always on (and full power) when you lift?

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Do you feel any range anxiety with it? Any SUC network around you?

I almost bought one, but I couldn’t get over some aspects of it… In my opinion it’s one of the best BEV’s right now. Efficient, fast… Hope you get lots of fun and miles with it!

How are you dealing with regen being always on (and full power) when you lift?

1. First day - a lot of range anxiety. 10th day - none.

2. Superchargers are on main highways, every 90 miles or so. Apsolutely reason why I would buy only Tesla here, as we do have a lot of chargers on highway gas stations but they are
a. Slow - 50kwh
b. Busy - shared with all the tourists.
c. Unreliable

For inside cities, it does not matter at all. Anything works. Longer trips is where it really matters.

3. You get used to regen asap. It could be even little bit stronger. It is smart so it works differently at different speeds.

Reality of life is that at our highway speeds of 90mph, full car and full A/C, there is less than 200 miles of range on highway, especially since you are usually going from 90% to 20%. That would be less than 120-130 miles until you have to charge again.

I am not going to drive super fast car at under posted limit to save little bit of fuel.

This is really minimum, LR should do a bit better. I would not buy EVs with less range than this.

There are things that can be better, for instance of they unlock faster charging after 70%, that would be great. Sunroof is too hot during the summer. Everything else is fine.

Powertrain is super luxurious and the main reason to buy this vehicle.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Regen braking is easy to get used to, especially for those of us with history with high performance manual tranny gas cars (with lots of engine braking). The regen braking becomes second nature in a day and adds a level of control and responsiveness rare in auto tranny gas cars.

The original Teslas had 2 settings for regen braking (I owned one and have driven dozens):
Low - easy to get used to, this is where most drivers left it (but efficiency and control is sacrificed)
Standard - too aggressive for most, therefore rarely used

Current Teslas (I own one and have driven dozens) have no selection toggle to adjust regen, factory setting is a nice compromise and it works very well (although we know this change was done to extend range).

Last edited:

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
No, people wanted a Tesla they could afford so they can look cool or show off, and white Tesla 3's are poverty spec.

Thanks.

Maybe we like Model 3 for miriad of things it does well?

I did save $1000 by going with pearl white on my $90k car, or maybe my previous car was also white?

Will1991

Reactions
We can't say a TM3 has any poverty spec, it's priced like some premium offers… Specially in Europe, where the base spec TM3 is more expensive than the average car sold here.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
We can't say a TM3 has any poverty spec, it's priced like some premium offers… Specially in Europe, where the base spec TM3 is more expensive than the average car sold here.
Yes, lol, sweeping generalizations/stereoptyping can be amusing but provide little that is useful in the thread. Keeping it light, not everybody wants to drive a tuna boat-sized geezer-pleaser vehicle.
In the US Model 3 mainstream trims (Standard Range Plus and Long Range AWD) are priced at $40K and $49K.
And now the Model 3 easily outsells top premium compact sedans, like the BMW 3 series, Mercedes C-class, Audi A4, Lexus IS. Model 3's often replace these imported premium sedans coming off lease.

mikeavelli

Reactions
If my memory serves me right, Tesla sold about 150k Model 3s last year. The RX usually sells about 100-110k a year.
That is nothing short of remarkable. And these are sedans, not hatches. So people do want sedans still.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
They want a Tesla not a sedan.

RXs also don't have all the incentives ZEVs do.

Tesla is operating alone in the space, effectively.
If they weren't doing those numbers given their Capital investment and head start to date, that'd be more remarkable.

mikeavelli

Reactions
They want a Tesla not a sedan.

RXs also don't have all the incentives ZEVs do.

Tesla is operating alone in the space, effectively.
If they weren't doing those numbers given their Capital investment and head start to date, that'd be more remarkable.

For sure, Tesla is propped up by incentives and government credits. Still that is a serious number of sales.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Note: Federal tax credits on Teslas ended after December 2019, they were $1875 per car for deliveries in Q4 2019.
For sure Tesla ramped in US benefiting from Federal tax credits through 2019, but record US sales in 2020/ytd2021 were achieved without any Federal tax credits.

Those that want a Tesla but don’t want a sedan order a Model Y, currently the top selling Tesla in CA. Buyers now have a choice (Model 3 and Y), and Model 3 sedan sales remain strong in US, Europe and China.