Will1991

Reactions
Both?

The charging speed is the maximum of China's standard quick charge protocol which is limited at 60kW per outlet. The EUDM variant could have faster charging using CCS.

I'm always learning here! We're a smaller crowd but Lexus Enthusiast does reach far and beyond!
Wasn't aware of it. Any planed bump on charging speed? 60kW seems a bit low regarding current tech.

flexus

Admirer
Reactions
I'm always learning here! We're a smaller crowd but Lexus Enthusiast does reach far and beyond!
Wasn't aware of it. Any planed bump on charging speed? 60kW seems a bit low regarding current tech.
I was thinking same. Why it is restricted?

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Please read carefully: "Nissan has biggest SHARE and Honda is second". Nissan sold 20280 HVs in September what accounts 63.4% of total volume (electrified vehicles accounted 70.5%). Honda sold 17577 HVs which accounted 50.4% of total volume (electrified 50.5%). Toyota instead sold 60074 HVs which only accounted only 42.8% of total volume (electrified 44%). In fact Toyta has been critisized having so low hybrid share.

Nissan has two e-power models; Serena and Note but model like Cima, Xtrail and Skyline are offered in conventional hybrid system.

yes, i read and i understand what the numbers are saying - which is why i had to add that their volume is actually lower, who cares about what the "share" is?

ie is it more meaningful to say that 18% of Toyota's worldwide will be hybrids in 2019, or that they sold over 2 million hybrids?

In any case, finally competition from Nissan and Honda in home market is good... and also good for HEVs globally since both companies will bring them to Europe, even if Honda barely sells here.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Both?

The charging speed is the maximum of China's standard quick charge protocol which is limited at 60kW per outlet. The EUDM variant could have faster charging using CCS.

lets see what they cook up... i just doubt they wont be cost conscious, although Mirai is showing that they are learning.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions

The current GB/T (Guobiao) introduced in 2015 technically allows a maximum voltage of 950V and maximum current of 250A, so up to 237.5kW max charging power. However GB/T only serves as a guideline: it does not provide true specifications. 60kW is the 'recommended limit' used by vast majority of charging poles. Private charging providers have developed charging poles with up to 90kW using the GB/T 2015 connector.

China is developing a GB/T 2020 that will unify with Japan's next-gen CHAdeMO. China was originally aligned with EU's CCS standards but that was changed after Abe's state visit last year. GB/T 2020 allows for up to 1.5kV and 600A for a whopping 900kW while next-gen CHAdeMO is rated up to 1kV and 400A for 400kW max power. Neither of these numbers will be reached in the real world due to engineering limitations, and commercial hardware currently in development are 150kW passively cooled or 350kW liquid-cooled.

This is something many people fail to realize, but GB/T 2015 is by far world's largest charging standard due to China's enormous NEV fleet. Unifying GB/T 2020 and CHAdeMO would provide huge economy of scale which will make CHAdeMO much, much more competitive out of China and Japan against CCS and Supercharge.

flexus

Admirer
Reactions
The current GB/T (Guobiao) introduced in 2015 technically allows a maximum voltage of 950V and maximum current of 250A, so up to 237.5kW max charging power. However GB/T only serves as a guideline: it does not provide true specifications. 60kW is the 'recommended limit' used by vast majority of charging poles. Private charging providers have developed charging poles with up to 90kW using the GB/T 2015 connector.

China is developing a GB/T 2020 that will unify with Japan's next-gen CHAdeMO. China was originally aligned with EU's CCS standards but that was changed after Abe's state visit last year. GB/T 2020 allows for up to 1.5kV and 600A for a whopping 900kW while next-gen CHAdeMO is rated up to 1kV and 400A for 400kW max power. Neither of these numbers will be reached in the real world due to engineering limitations, and commercial hardware currently in development are 150kW passively cooled or 350kW liquid-cooled.

This is something many people fail to realize, but GB/T 2015 is by far world's largest charging standard due to China's enormous NEV fleet. Unifying GB/T 2020 and CHAdeMO would provide huge economy of scale which will make CHAdeMO much, much more competitive out of China and Japan against CCS and Supercharge.
I like this trend of Japan and China coming together to make something good. World will benefit from it hope 2012 never comes again.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
I like this trend of Japan and China coming together to make something good. World will benefit from it hope 2012 never comes again.

I hope it's a long-term partnership as well.

Toyota the world's largest carmaker is partnering with world's largest utility company (State Grid) in building world's largest charging network and the world's largest oil company (SinoPec) in building world's largest hydrogen fueling network. Let that sink in a bit. In this day and age, alliance is more important than a single product.

I don't want to sound political or hateful towards USA. But I think many american members on this forum can agree America's infrastructure is in shambles. No major nation-wide infrastructure project has been built in, like, three decades? That's why the american media discredit hydrogen economy because of the infrastructure required. If it takes your nation three decades to build a 400km high speed rail, then a nation-wide charging network sounds like a tall order, it doesn't matter whether It's for BEV or FCV.

This is not a problem for China and Japan, world's Top 2 infrastructure builder. You already know China's obsession with mega projects, but Japan too is the world's largest exporter of infrastructure: they are basically buiding up the whole Southeast Asia.

mediumhot

Follower
Reactions
Hydrogen infrastructure is not the problem cause every gas station will turn into one if needed over time. Problem is there is no clear push from the government where this whole thing should go so it's up to market to decide on that. China was very clear the future is phev/bev.

High speed railroad is not priority in US cause of air travel, people over there fly as much as your people take a train to commute across counties. And it's also a political agenda in China to provide cheap and fast commute especially connection between areas with minority groups and majority to prevent any possible political outbreaks.

flexus

Admirer
Reactions

Toyota the world's largest carmaker is partnering with world's largest utility company (State Grid) in building world's largest charging network and the world's largest oil company (SinoPec) in building world's largest hydrogen fueling network. Let that sink in a bit. In this day and age, alliance is more important than a single product.

I don't want to sound political or hateful towards USA. But I think many american members on this forum can agree America's infrastructure is in shambles. No major nation-wide infrastructure project has been built in, like, three decades? That's why the american media discredit hydrogen economy because of the infrastructure required. If it takes your nation three decades to build a 400km high speed rail, then a nation-wide charging network sounds like a tall order, it doesn't matter whether It's for BEV or FCV.

This is not a problem for China and Japan, world's Top 2 infrastructure builder. You already know China's obsession with mega projects, but Japan too is the world's largest exporter of infrastructure: they are basically buiding up the whole Southeast Asia.
It is strange that worlds largest economy has no infra projects. All the highspeed train project in US are private or State backed. Then comes India who builds shinkansen from Delhi to Mumbai via Ahmadabad with help from Japanese gov and JREast. Of topic as this is but is the Chinese high speed trains based on technology exported by JRTokai like Korean and Taiwanese?

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
It is strange that worlds largest economy has no infra projects. All the highspeed train project in US are private or State backed. Then comes India who builds shinkansen from Delhi to Mumbai via Ahmadabad with help from Japanese gov and JREast. Of topic as this is but is the Chinese high speed trains based on technology exported by JRTokai like Korean and Taiwanese?

It was collaboration with all the international big names like Siemens, Alstom, Bombardier, Kawasaki, and Mitsubishi. Rail companies in different regions all chose different partners. Indigenously-developed trains entered service recently.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions

lets hope something comes out of it... nobody has been able to build hydrogen network right now.

I am not so sure that US is wrong in its approach, isnt it home to only real fast-charging network?

Will1991

Reactions
150kW engine with 160km/h top speed and it charges at 22kW AC? Is my interpretation correct?

And what about battery capacity, is it mentioned? Or DC charging?

CT200h

Fan
Reactions
lets hope something comes out of it... nobody has been able to build hydrogen network right now.

I am not so sure that US is wrong in its approach, isnt it home to only real fast-charging network?
The Electrify america fast charge network is huge in the USA and growing fast ,( thanks to VW and D gate) in europe Ionity fast charge has great coverage and there are others. . Hydrogen charging network is non existant outside Cali and not to good in Cali.
I think we got it right.

Last edited:

CT200h

Fan
Reactions
A car like this could be successful in other markets ( USA) as long as it has decent range and good performance . Not a huge market for this size car , but Toyota is on pace to sell 50,000 ICE CHR in the USA this year. How many CHR EV could they sell and more importantly to who and what car would that buyer have purchased otherwise?? Every BEV Toyota could build and sale is a customer retained and not given up to .... Ford, Tesla , Hyundai , Kia, Nissan etc.

Last edited:

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
Is this even true? Hoping 5 of those 10 Toyota's are landing in North America, besides China and Europe. No wonder I am so fixated with 2025 as being my drop dead cut-off to get a BEV, preferably a Lexus/Toyota, then an Acura.

Lexus
On sale now None
Coming soon pure-electric model (Nov 22)

Toyota
On sale now None
Coming soon Electric mid-sized SUV (date DBC); “more than 10” pure-electric models by 2025 (there's already the CHR and Izoa in China)

flexus

Admirer
Reactions
UX EV production starts in spring at Miyata plant. It will be available in spring in China, in summer in Europe and in winter in Japan.

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
Lexus better produce good damn BEVs by/in 2024. Thank goodness many of us are driving Toyota's or Lexus vehicles and can wait patiently.

I'm surprised they are releasing more Toyota's (10) than Lexus (3) when the propensity to spend is likely higher for those willing to spend on a Lexus product.

Simple formula - solid state battery, electric torque vectoring (on some higher trim models maybe on the RC/GS and up) and better infotainment system (maybe just a touch screen with CA/AA compatibility) and keep everything as is and we already have a winning formula.

I don't even care about the amount of hard plastics as I am not into caressing these soft plastic components every time I'm inside the car and I'm not tall and big enough to bang my knees or elbows against the car interior. :)

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
Given the announcements above the Ford Mach-E Mustang SUV, the excuses that Toyota has for dragging heels this long is disappearing quickly. We are looking at the ix3 and i4 from BMW as well with compelling figures.

Really disappointed the EV UX isn't slated for NA.