ssun30

Expert
Reaction score
https://toyota-club.net/files/faq/21-07-20_faq_f33-engine_en.htm
Recommended read on F33A-FTV diesel.

Block has same bore and stroke as 1VD. Compacted graphite iron closed deck for max durability. There is an extra arch connecting two cylinder banks for even more rigidity. Engine weight is 266kg (586lbs), 30% lighter than the very heavy 1VD (372kg/820lbs). But that's still a lot of weight to absorb all the stress.

Isn't this what Supra fans asked for in the first place? The future workhorse for F cars should be a petrol variant of F33 with shorter stroke.

Reaction score

Block has same bore and stroke as 1VD. Compacted graphite iron closed deck for max durability. There is an extra arch connecting two cylinder banks for even more rigidity. Engine weight is 266kg (586lbs), 30% lighter than the very heavy 1VD (372kg/820lbs). But that's still a lot of weight to absorb all the stress.

Isn't this what Supra fans asked for in the first place? The future workhorse for F cars should be a petrol variant of F33 with shorter stroke.

The rumor was that the new GR Supra would get a gas version of the BMW B57 diesel engine. The B57 has a CGI architecture which should make it very similar to a JZ albeit many order of magnitudes more modernized.

Alas the rumor ended up being false and we got the B58, which is in all honesty still amazing. GR Supras are now hitting 8's in the quarter mile with relative ease and with an all turbo (with supporting modifications) GR Supra with no nitrous, no port injection and very minor modifications to the engine itself is hitting well in the high 700 horsepower mark.

The only issue that has revealed itself at those numbers is the slippage of the ZF8HP51 transmission, and that is remedied with a beefier transmission upgrade as new developments start to become available. It's shocking how fast these things are and are handing supercars butts to them on a silver platter.

Levi

Expert
Reaction score
The rumor was that the new GR Supra would get a gas version of the BMW B57 diesel engine. The B57 has a CGI architecture which should make it very similar to a JZ albeit many order of magnitudes more modernized.

Alas the rumor ended up being false and we got the B58, which is in all honesty still amazing. GR Supras are now hitting 8's in the quarter mile with relative ease and with an all turbo (with supporting modifications) GR Supra with no nitrous, no port injection and very minor modifications to the engine itself is hitting well in the high 700 horsepower mark.

The only issue that has revealed itself at those numbers is the slippage of the ZF8HP51 transmission, and that is remedied with a beefier transmission upgrade as new developments start to become available. It's shocking how fast these things are and are handing supercars butts to them on a silver platter.
it will always be slower than an AWD M4

Demetrius

Founding Member
Reaction score
So is the consensus that NOW there will only be one powertrain more powerful than the 3.5 TT? And we all assume its the 3.5 TT Hybrid iForce MAX engine?
I know this diagram came out pre-COVID, so its fair to say the maybe the largest engine on here was a TTV8 that got scrapped?

Attachments

• powetrains.jpg
    powetrains.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 23

Gecko

Administrator
Reaction score
So is the consensus that NOW there will only be one powertrain more powerful than the 3.5 TT? And we all assume its the 3.5 TT Hybrid iForce MAX engine?
I know this diagram came out pre-COVID, so its fair to say the maybe the largest engine on here was a TTV8 that got scrapped?

Yes and no. I get the sense a hybrid V8 could happen down the line, but it would need to meet Lexus' new, stricter internal emissions targets and I'm not sure a V8 can do that, even with electrification. It's too premature to say.

So, I think 3.5L TT V6 + hybrid will be the top of the pecking order for quite some time. With IS 500, LC 500, GX 460 and RC F, I think the UR V8 will be in production through the 2024MY, so that slots in somewhere too.

Reaction score
Yes and no. I get the sense a hybrid V8 could happen down the line, but it would need to meet Lexus' new, stricter internal emissions targets and I'm not sure a V8 can do that, even with electrification. It's too premature to say.

So, I think 3.5L TT V6 + hybrid will be the top of the pecking order for quite some time. With IS 500, LC 500, GX 460 and RC F, I think the UR V8 will be in production through the 2024MY, so that slots in somewhere too.

But isn't the chart about new engines only? It has to be a V8 or something.

ssun30

Expert
Reaction score
TTV8 going hydrogen? That's the only way it could survive regulations.

For GR Corolla H2 they likely went for AdBlue injection to reduce NOx so they don't have to run ultra lean and lose half the specific output. But that also makes it a non-zero emissions engine (urea turns into CO2 in SCR).

The TTV8 could also be downsized to 3L V6 but keeping the layout. They already did that going from 1VD to F33. The serial twin-turbo system could be used directly to make very high specific output.

The iForce Max was not included in this chart as an ICE or HV system. In P2 hybrid the MGU is part of the transmission so Toyota probably included it as a variant of the 10AT. In P0/P1 hybrid the MGU is part of the ICE (bISG/cISG).

Last edited:

maiaramdan

Expert
Reaction score
V8 is dead let's face it
Even for one like me, but maybe V6 hybrid with more powerful electric motors will do it's job

Levi

Expert
Reaction score

Is any other Toyota getting the F33A or will this engine be exclusively for the Landcruiser/LX as was the 1VD?

Would not a Hilux or Fortuner or Prado with this engine hurt Landcruiser sales? While many buy a Landcruiser for its "go-anywhere-and-back-in-comfort" ability, a fair number must buy them for their towing capacity/facility due to the more powerful engine. These might buy a cheaper truck with same power if available, this will hurt sales of Landcruiser.

Will1991

Reaction score
The other day I read some rumors that are pointing for a hybrid 4 cylinder Diesel engine for the Hillux/Prado.

Will1991

Reaction score
It will be a 8AT with a P2 MGU... Toyota decided 15 years ago that P2 CVT doesn't work.

If Toyota still raced in F1, they could sell it saying things like "F1 derived technology" :ROFLMAO:

They seem to be in the right path:

(Link to the official presentation)