Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
So no Yaris based SUV/CUV, yet? :)
I don't see why Corolla Cross and a future Yaris-based CUV should be mutually exclusive. Like the AutoGuide article said, Corolla Cross would probably be nothing more than a Corolla Hatchback and/or Touring Sports wagon with a lifted suspension, faux skid plates and black plastic baby cladding to compete with Subaru Crosstrek, VW Golf Alltrak and Ford Focus Active (the sole surviving Focus for North America), among others.

As spwolf noted earlier in this thread:
Toyota France announced new factory expansion for next-gen Yaris and new model. I assume it is smaller than C-HR SUV, based on next gen Yaris platform.
Rumors of a Yaris-based "baby RAV4 or C-HR" to be built in the Valenciennes plant France have been around for years. What better time to announce (or reemphasize) this than the upcoming Paris Motor Show?

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
I don't see why Corolla Cross and a future Yaris-based CUV should be mutually exclusive.

They are not, but they specifically noted how it is going to revealed in next few days... so that will likely be Corolla Cross.

While Yaris CUV will be revealed in December or closer to new Yaris launch.

They already mentioned that plant will build another model next to Yaris.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
I have a gut feeling that the Paris Show will unveil something related to the TNGA-B platform, which is almost as overdue and delayed as the body-on-frame TNGA-F. It may be a concept foreshadowing either the next-gen Yaris or the new B-segment CUV.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
I have a gut feeling that the Paris Show will unveil something related to the TNGA-B platform, which is almost as overdue and delayed as the body-on-frame TNGA-F. It may be a concept foreshadowing either the next-gen Yaris or the new B-segment CUV.

maybe in Geneva? They just facelifted Yaris again last year. So late 2019 is something possible.

But keep in mind that for Toyota Europe, Yaris is the best selling vehicle. They will not want to announce it year early like what Toyota USA does. For Europe, it would kill the sales.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
maybe in Geneva? They just facelifted Yaris again last year. So late 2019 is something possible.

But keep in mind that for Toyota Europe, Yaris is the best selling vehicle. They will not want to announce it year early like what Toyota USA does. For Europe, it would kill the sales.
You're right, given the early 2017 second facelift for Yaris3, the Paris show would be too soon for unveiling the production version of Yaris4. That's why I said "something" and "a concept", not necessarily the production version.

Another, more remote possibility just occurred to me: with the Verso gone and the Prius+/v ancient and outdated, will a successor to the 3-row Prius be in the cards? Or will Toyota simply walk away from this segment?

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
You're right, given the early 2017 second facelift for Yaris3, the Paris show would be too soon for unveiling the production version of Yaris4. That's why I said "something" and "a concept", not necessarily the production version.

Another, more remote possibility just occurred to me: with the Verso gone and the Prius+/v ancient and outdated, will a successor to the 3-row Prius be in the cards? Or will Toyota simply walk away from this segment?

It seems they are pushing Prius+ in Europe still on purpose so I would guess new one is coming. And that one can be sold worldwide, vs old Verso.

There were also those pics of Prius SUV... quite possibly Prius SUV could have 3 rows, like Verso had in the past. With lower ground clearance than Rav4, it makes more sense.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Their 1.5L engine has stayed at 80kW since 2002 with only minor efficiency gains and I guess better torque curve. I know 80kW is still plenty for EU, Japan, and SEA. China is the only market where the 1.5 has become underpowered. But competitors have all moved to the 100kW class for subcompacts. Hope the 1.6DF for subcompacts is true. After all the 8NR can be expensive with that turbo and this segment needs NA to be competitive in price.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Their 1.5L engine has stayed at 80kW since 2002 with only minor efficiency gains and I guess better torque curve. I know 80kW is still plenty for EU, Japan, and SEA. China is the only market where the 1.5 has become underpowered. But competitors have all moved to the 100kW class for subcompacts. Hope the 1.6DF for subcompacts is true. After all the 8NR can be expensive with that turbo and this segment needs NA to be competitive in price.

it is new 1.5 NR that first appeared in Toyota India's vehicles and then got ESTEC version in 2017. Torque distribution is all that matters, high output NA engines are usually not that good at all... like their 1.6l Valvematic with 132hp was not significantly faster than old 110hp 1.6l.

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions

On the street, my 1996 Corolla sedan with the 1.6l 4A-FE still pulls harder than my 2006 Vios with the 1.5l 1NZ-FE, both automatics. I find it strange that the Japanese car manufacturers move away from 1.6l engines in their subcompacts and use 1.5l engines instead. It's not like there's a huge difference in price and fuel economy but the extra performance is definitely a nice upgrade.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
On the street, my 1996 Corolla sedan with the 1.6l 4A-FE still pulls harder than my 2006 Vios with the 1.5l 1NZ-FE, both automatics. I find it strange that the Japanese car manufacturers move away from 1.6l engines in their subcompacts and use 1.5l engines instead. It's not like there's a huge difference in price and fuel economy but the extra performance is definitely a nice upgrade.

Tax reasons. In fact it's a surprise rumor says new motor is 1.6 not 1.5.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Tax reasons. In fact it's a surprise rumor says new motor is 1.6 not 1.5.

they always had different engine for Corolla... i guess different priorities? Otherwise by itself 1.5 vs 1.6l there is no large difference in torque/hp.

I guess 1.6l will be base engine for many future vehicles, and have that turbo version as well. I dont think we will get new 1.8l anymore.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions

that likely has to do with many other things, not 1.5l vs 1.6l.. like engine series itself, transmission, tuning, etc.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
Lexus Vehicle Lineup to be Fully Electrified by 2025

18-09-04-lexus-lf-1-limitless.jpg

Equation includes hybrids.
View the original article post

Last edited:
Reactions: Den

GSCT

Founding Member
Reactions
Good to know - Lexus was in real danger of over reliance on hybrids (IMO) and ceding leadership to other luxury brands. Bring on the all electric IS please.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Good to know - Lexus was in real danger of over reliance on hybrids (IMO) and ceding leadership to other luxury brands. Bring on the all electric IS please.

^Did you read the article? This seems to be another marketing/PR spin as Lexus thinks of their hybrids as plugless electric cars.

Last edited:

TheNerdyPotato

Follower
Reactions
I have a gut feeling that the Paris Show will unveil something related to the TNGA-B platform

I hadn't heard of that version before. I'm guessing you made it up based it off of the old B platform that underpins various subcompact models? It makes sense that they would use that nomenclature.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
I hadn't heard of that version before. I'm guessing you made it up based it off of the old B platform that underpins various subcompact models? It makes sense that they would use that nomenclature.
The second-smallest TNGA architecture has been referred to as TNGA-B. Like TNGA-F (for body-on-frame trucks and SUVs), TNGA-B appears to be behind schedule. Its main/lead vehicle is the 4th-gen successor to the present "Euro" Yaris / Japanese Vitz. The second facelift it received for the 2018 model year is ample evidence of the 3rd-gen's extended/overstretched life cycle. The Vios sedan and Sienta mini-minivan are the only other current Toyotas that share the outgoing "B" platform.