spwolf

Expert
Reactions
What else could be done to the 8NR though? The calibration engineers don't like it because the efficiency and torque just don't match the benchmark. The mechanical team doesn't like it because the cylinders are just too small to work with. But it ended up being one of the most important engines in their entire lineup (in China it was what made the Corolla the king of the compacts). That engine really needs a power bump to at least 100kW and over 200N.m, all the while not losing any efficiency.

Small changes to output, responsiveness and efficiency are always possible for turbo engines, and were often done for Toyota turbo diesels.

For significantly bigger output, i expect that 1.6l turbo... depending on the market of course.

Reactions
futurepowertrains.png

here is the list of "new" powertrains. Keep in mind - 9 new engines and 17 variations. What we know is that there will be V8TT for F models, then 2.4 or 2.5l turbo for GR replacement (non us?) and that is about it... Missing from the list:
- One V8 engine - between 420hp of V6tt and 620hp of V8tt
- 2.4/2.5l turbo replacement for GR
- between 2.5l and 2.0l engine - 1.6 turbo?
- 2 smaller than 2.0l engines.

- hybrid between 215hp 4cly and V6
- small hybrid - replacement for 1.5l

Powertrains that are just updated are not on that list.
But they will most likely release updated engines that aren't on the list, correct?

Reactions: Den

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
But they will most likely release updated engines that aren't on the list, correct?

Updated engines list so far:
- 1.0 3cly updated this year in Aygo MMC
- 1.5l ESTEC new engine last year in Yaris MMC
- 1.2t updated this year in Auris FMC
- 2.0t ?
- 3.5l GR ?

Keep in mind that the whole point of new powertrains is less different engines, more production efficiency and transferring those savings into more expensive engines going into the smaller vehicles.

For instance old Corolla 1.8l vs new Corolla 2.0l - both engine and cvt should be considerably more expensive to produce compared to the ones they replaced yet price of the vehicle did not increase accordingly.

Reactions
Updated engines list so far:
- 1.0 3cly updated this year in Aygo MMC
- 1.5l ESTEC new engine last year in Yaris MMC
- 1.2t updated this year in Auris FMC
- 2.0t ?
- 3.5l GR ?

Keep in mind that the whole point of new powertrains is less different engines, more production efficiency and transferring those savings into more expensive engines going into the smaller vehicles.

For instance old Corolla 1.8l vs new Corolla 2.0l - both engine and cvt should be considerably more expensive to produce compared to the ones they replaced yet price of the vehicle did not increase accordingly.
Right. Honestly, I am just super nervous about what their V8 plans are. I don't care about having the most ponies or pound feet, I just want something reliable. I love the 3UR-FE and am hoping they can improve on that without the need for forced induction.

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions
Small changes to output, responsiveness and efficiency are always possible for turbo engines, and were often done for Toyota turbo diesels.

For significantly bigger output, i expect that 1.6l turbo... depending on the market of course.

I would like to have that 1.6l turbo. Probably around 180 hp?

Reactions
Off topic question, but are TNGA cars heavier than their previous generation?

No. Generally they're lighter because they did some cost sharing of high quality and expensive materials throughout the lineup. Notably, they were able to reduce weight in the Toyota and Lexus lineup by using more composite materials.

TheNerdyPotato

Follower
Reactions
No. Generally they're lighter because they did some cost sharing of high quality and expensive materials throughout the lineup. Notably, they were able to reduce weight in the Toyota and Lexus lineup by using more composite materials.

Not always. A quick trip through Google says the 2019 Corolla hatchback (TNGA-C) should be 30-60lb heavier than the 2017 iM hatchback. They're the same external dimensions, give or take an inch. I also have no idea about the quality of the interior.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Toyota has released some info to the media in Ireland...
- 2019 Corolla will have 1.6l petrol engine for Europe, together with hybrid from Prius of course. This is first time I have heard of 1.6l in TNGA vehicles, so it is likely to be all new?
- New hybrid vehicle unveil on September 3rd for Europe. Toyota France announced new factory expansion for next-gen Yaris and new model. I assume it is smaller than C-HR SUV, based on next gen Yaris platform. It might also introduce new smaller hybrid system as well as that new 1.6l?

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Toyota has released some info to the media in Ireland...
- 2019 Corolla will have 1.6l petrol engine for Europe, together with hybrid from Prius of course. This is first time I have heard of 1.6l in TNGA vehicles, so it is likely to be all new?
- New hybrid vehicle unveil on September 3rd for Europe. Toyota France announced new factory expansion for next-gen Yaris and new model. I assume it is smaller than C-HR SUV, based on next gen Yaris platform. It might also introduce new smaller hybrid system as well as that new 1.6l?

Great info, and it makes sense. There are two mystery engines on the current TNGA diagram that are smaller in displacement than the M20A. So it is certainly quite possible that one of those engines might be an all new 1.6L Dynamic Force engine. There is also one mystery hybrid system on the diagram that is smaller that the current Prius 1.8L hybrid system.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Great info, and it makes sense. There are two mystery engines on the current TNGA diagram that are smaller in displacement than the M20A. So it certainly quite possible that one of those engines might be an all new 1.6L Dynamic Force engine. There is also one mystery hybrid system on the diagram that is smaller that the current Prius 1.8L hybrid system.

yeah, also remember rumors about 1.6l turbo? It might be based on same engine design.

As to the smaller hybrid, they talked about it many times before. Their current 1.5l is only old hybrid engine left, so obviously it will be renewed.

But that 1.6l is interesting in Corolla. It might end up being smaller version of that new M20A. Corolla in Europe is sold to fleets, currently it had 1.33l and 1.4 D4D engines. So cheapest ones.

And looking at that, I am pretty sure it wont be some crazy 1.6t high output engine.

Also - Auris Touring Sports will now have 100m longer wheelbase than Auris... basically like Avensis of old. I would guess that means that Corolla's wheelbase is growing too.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
yeah, also remember rumors about 1.6l turbo? It might be based on same engine design.

As to the smaller hybrid, they talked about it many times before. Their current 1.5l is only old hybrid engine left, so obviously it will be renewed.

But that 1.6l is interesting in Corolla. It might end up being smaller version of that new M20A. Corolla in Europe is sold to fleets, currently it had 1.33l and 1.4 D4D engines. So cheapest ones.

And looking at that, I am pretty sure it wont be some crazy 1.6t high output engine.

Also - Auris Touring Sports will now have 100m longer wheelbase than Auris... basically like Avensis of old. I would guess that means that Corolla's wheelbase is growing too.

Agreed, all of that makes sense. If you go through Toyota's TNGA technical documents and statements from engineers, Toyota will be reducing the base engine architectures to a bare minimum for TNGA and Dynamic Force. From there, the modular nature of TNGA and Dynamic Force will allow for different add-on technologies or different "seasoning" on the engines as Toyota puts it. So add-on technologies like turbos for instance.

Edit: I would also like to mention as a reminder that the current 1.8L hybrid system is also technically not a Dynamic Force system as it uses a ZR engine. The inclusion of it on the diagram continues to be puzzling.

Last edited:

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
I've just come across today some interesting information I overheard from a distant source.

Supposedly:

- By 2021, all of the engines on the new TNGA/Dynamic Force family diagram will be revealed
- the entire Dynamic Force engine family will comprise of 6 inline engines and 3 V engines

If true, there are some revelations here. That would mean the mystery engine between the A25A and V35A on the diagram will be an inline engine, and not a V engine. Will it be an inline 4, or could (shockingly) the BMW collaboration inline 6 engine end up appearing on the TNGA/Dynamic Force diagram? That would truly be shocking if that ended up being the case, as that would mean the supposed BMW collaboration inline 6 is almost entirely a Toyota design.

Also if true this would confirm the two mystery engines above the V35A are certainly V engines.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
I've just come across today some interesting information I overheard from a distant source.

Supposedly:

- By 2021, all of the engines on the new TNGA/Dynamic Force family diagram will be revealed
- the entire Dynamic Force engine family will comprise of 6 inline engines and 3 V engines

If true, there are some revelations here. That would mean the mystery engine between the A25A and V35A on the diagram will be an inline engine, and not a V engine. Will it be an inline 4, or could (shockingly) the BMW collaboration inline 6 engine end up appearing on the TNGA/Dynamic Force diagram? That would truly be shocking if that ended up being the case, as that would mean the supposed BMW collaboration inline 6 is almost entirely a Toyota design.

Also if true this would confirm the two mystery engines above the V35A are certainly V engines.

it is going to be that rumored 2.4/2.5l turbo engine... and those 2 others are V8's.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
From what I've read:
  • the new "JZ" I6 that's being developed with BMW is exclusive to the Supra and won't be shared with any other Toyota applications.
  • BMW turned over the basic architecture of their I6 and then Toyota has tweaked it to their liking, and it was agreed to be produced from cast iron.
  • It sounds like BMW has done/provided the lion's share of the work with Toyota doing tuning tweaks.