MKV Toyota Supra Master Thread

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Toyota Supra, Nissan 390Z, Mazda RX-9 Rumored For Tokyo Debut

Doors open to the Tokyo Motor Show on October 27.

If we’re to believe the rumors, the long-awaited Toyota Supra may not be the only high-profile sports car on display at the 2017 Tokyo Motor Show. Mazda and Nissan will reportedly be joining the rival Japanese marque with tantalizing sports car offerings all their own.

According to AutoBild, a new Nissan 390Z sports car, and a Wankel-powered Mazda RX-9 will both make their long-awaited debut in Tokyo. Naturally, we take this report with a grain of salt. Out of the three vehicles mentioned, we’ve only seen the Supra testing, and though rumors of an RX-9 have been plenty in recent weeks, it remains to be seen if the company will indeed bring the car to Tokyo.

The Supra, of course, will use the same platform as the upcoming BMW Z4. Power will reportedly come courtesy of a four- and six-cylinder engine, with a standard automatic gearbox and no option for a manual. Horsepower will be rated at 248 (185 kilowatts) and 335 (250 kilowatts), respectively.

Source: https://www.motor1.com/news/177021/toyota-supra-mazda-rx9-tokyo/

I'm virtually certain this car will debut in Tokyo. Toyota debuting a German car in the homeland - the world is whack.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I'm really curious where Toyota is headed here. In the past the GT-R/Supra/NSX were on par with one another performance wise even though they did it very differently. The GT-R has been around 10 years and has exotic performance for still a much lower price, even over 100k now. The NSX has moved upmarket in price and tech with the hybrid.

What will Toyota bring with the Supra? In the past there was always the N/A model and the twin turbo model. Will they have this apply this strategy again?

Toyota is super light lipped about the car. Most all I've heard is "it looks like the concept" which makes sense considering the success of the LC...

As for pricing this could get interesting for the RC F which is a 65-85k car before discounting. The Supra has always been a 4 seater and surely will drive amazing considering recent Toyota/Lexus success. Pricing will likely be around that range. No way this is a 50k car when a loaded Sienna/4-runner is 50k.

The other thing to consider here is the Mustang and Camaro. In the 90s, the Supra fairly crushed those cars and was most often compared against the Corvette and 300ZX. Today, the Z is more of a Mustang and Camaro competitor and with those two, you can get ~420 horsepower for under $40k. If Toyota is showing up with a 335hp I6 at $50k, I really hope it's sold with a highly addictive batch of Mexican meth because thats about the only way they'll move them off the lot.

This car needs to either cost $29-$42k with the 2.0T I4 and 3.0TT I6 engines, or $42-65k packing a range of next gen Dynamic Force engines ranging from ~340 to 550 horsepower.

Like I said a few posts earlier, I'm fair certain that Toyota is about to F#*$ this all the way up and has been resting on the laurels of the "Supra" name.

oem_is300

Founding Member
Reactions
I'm really curious where Toyota is headed here. In the past the GT-R/Supra/NSX were on par with one another performance wise even though they did it very differently. The GT-R has been around 10 years and has exotic performance for still a much lower price, even over 100k now. The NSX has moved upmarket in price and tech with the hybrid.

As for pricing this could get interesting for the RC F which is a 65-85k car before discounting. The Supra has always been a 4 seater and surely will drive amazing considering recent Toyota/Lexus success. Pricing will likely be around that range. No way this is a 50k car when a loaded Sienna/4-runner is 50k.

The other thing to consider here is the Mustang and Camaro. In the 90s, the Supra fairly crushed those cars and was most often compared against the Corvette and 300ZX. Today, the Z is more of a Mustang and Camaro competitor and with those two, you can get ~420 horsepower for under $40k. If Toyota is showing up with a 335hp I6 at $50k, I really hope it's sold with a highly addictive batch of Mexican meth because thats about the only way they'll move them off the lot.

This car needs to either cost $29-$42k with the 2.0T I4 and 3.0TT I6 engines, or $42-65k packing a range of next gen Dynamic Force engines ranging from ~340 to 550 horsepower.

Really good points here. The Supra was on Skyline/NSX scale - both of those cars now have incredible performance numbers and have moved upmarket. This class was also much higher performing than the Mustangs/Camaros of the time which are actually really good bargains for the numbers they put out. I believe the Camaro even won a shootout against the M4 on MotorTrend.

Price will be really important because this will probably be an excellent drivers car. I don't see it in the $29k-$42k range just because the 86 can get up to $31k right now. My guess is that it will be mid-$50k because I don't think they'll want to step on the RC-F too much either. There is going to be a lot of criticism if the highest engine output is 335hp at this price point, but Toyota doesn't typically have the most horsepower in class and really shine in overall chassis dynamics and driving feel (RCF/GSF/LFA, etc).

Overall, I think my biggest complaint is that Toyota has chosen to partner with BMW for their sports car (I'm personally just not a big BMW fan) and even more so that it's the Supra.

oem_is300

Founding Member
Reactions
Should be interesting to see how Mazda approaches the RX-9. The RX-8, although seen as a great drivers car, was more of a competitor with the Genesis/S2000/350Z. The miata kind of slots in with that group too, so perhaps Mazda will move upscale with the new RX9 - rumors seem to point towards higher performance with the new model.

supra93

Expert
Reactions
Another rendering

ytH2wJC.png

Last edited:

supra93

Expert
Reactions
Dave From Toyota - What We Learned In Breck About The 200...

I wanted to get this thread up before I forget a lot of what the Toyota rep, Dave, told us last night at dinner.

First, I'll do my best to recap his credibility. This guy was involved with product development of the 200 Series Land Cruiser about 10 years ago. He worked with the Toyota engineers in Japan and in many other countries on various continents, testing every aspect of the 200.

Interestingly, he also is involved with product development for just about every other North American market Toyota as well, so he had some interesting insight into Toyota product planning, development, and execution.

This guy was great - the real deal - and he patiently answered a LOT of our questions. Here's some of the info we gathered from him:

- Any info on the upcoming Toyota Supra?
-- Release date early 2019; should have north of 400hp, expect a manual option. Dave would not comment on powertrain other than to indicate it was a joint build with BMW and it will NOT be using BMW's ubiquitous 3.0 twin turbo inline 6. He said it may have a 3.5 v6 turbo and there may be a hybrid variant.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/dave-from-toyota-what-we-learned-in-breck-about-the-200.1003052/

Last edited:

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
A bit off topic, but some overall fascinating insights if true. I wonder if this post deserves a separate thread. Mods?

I knew the bean counters had big sway at Toyota, but I am surprised to hear the lawyers have such sway as well. Regarding the lawyers and off-road enthusiast vehicles, that has me puzzled. What about high-performance cars like F cars? I mean if you drive them recklessly, you can get into dangerous situations. I wonder how the lawyers fit into the F cars, and the general love of performance vehicles that Akio Toyoda has. Does Akio supersede the lawyers in these situations? Lots of things to think about.

I am thrilled to hear though Toyota's continued commitment to making tough vehicles that last.

Reactions
A bit off topic, but some overall fascinating insights if true. I wonder if this post deserves a separate thread. Mods?

I knew the bean counters had big sway at Toyota, but I am surprised to hear the lawyers have such sway as well. Regarding the lawyers and off-road enthusiast vehicles, that has me puzzled. What about high-performance cars like F cars? I mean if you drive them recklessly, you can get into dangerous situations. I wonder how the lawyers fit into the F cars, and the general love of performance vehicles that Akio Toyoda has. Does Akio supersede the lawyers in these situations? Lots of things to think about.
At this point, nobody driving Toyota vehicles are getting into really bad accidents that blows up on social media (ahem, Mustang), even Supra owners for the most part haven't done anything that bad (cough Nick Hogan), but I suppose the boring image has kept it that way (I have my own thoughts on Camry drivers, but they've done nothing in pattern that could be viral material other than the past fiasco of pedals).
I am thrilled to hear though Toyota's continued commitment to making tough vehicles that last.
That's company stalwart, and part of their legacy, can't lose that commitment at all.

Reactions: CIF

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
What the hell is going on at ToMoCo? Are the bean counters fighting back where they don't want to spend more of their budget on R&D? It seems like they have to partner up with so many companies nowadays....the 86 is half Subaru, the iA is half Mazda. They seemingly want to outsource more of their performance cars. Do they not trust their in-house companies to do this? TRD?

Simple. You scratch my back......I scratch yours. We all save money.

33050363963_7c2f76b9c1.jpg

Recently, a good example of this was GM and Ford both developing a new line of 9-speed automatics (9T50/9T65) for transverse-engines, and a 10-speed automatic for longitudinal-mount powerplants. Both corporations will share all of these transmissions in their vehicles as applicable. Some 60 different patents were filed on the new 9-speed....that's how complex and/or ingenious it is. I would have cost either corporation an arm and a leg to do it on their own.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Another thing I just realized regarding that insider info post....the 4Runner TRD Pro, would that not be prone to rollover? It is fairly narrow, and taller than a regular 4Runner. So how did the lawyers sign off on that one? I feel like there is more to this than just liability concerns. I don't buy it that the reason Toyota won't directly compete with Jeep is only due to liability concerns.

Also regarding the FJ Cruiser, it was taken off the market right as the current CUV/SUV craze took off. Toyota may claim there wasn't enough of a market, but currently used FJ Cruisers command astronomical prices. Used FJ Cruisers are barely depreciating at all. Some in immaculate condition have actually appreciated in value.

Reactions
Also regarding the FJ Cruiser, it was taken off the market right as the current CUV/SUV craze took off. Toyota may claim there wasn't enough of a market, but currently used FJ Cruisers command astronomical prices. Used FJ Cruisers are barely depreciating at all. Some in immaculate condition have actually appreciated in value.
When the FJ was first released in '06, folks were lining up to buy them; then came 2008, that should've been the time to buy them all up.

Reactions: CIF