MKV Toyota Supra Master Thread

mikeavelli

Reactions
I've hung out with Tada-San a couple of times and he's a great guy. He nailed the FR-S for anyone who has driven it. I'm not talking about power, the driving position the way it feels and handles, it is special and for under 30k. To think he is developing the Supra bodes very well. He is also a Porsche fan and that is a big target of his.

When I helped have a FRS/BRZ Roundtable here in Miami a couple of years ago with Tada-San one of the biggest pieces of feedback was "more power". And we know the next GT 86 is coming. Perhaps the next car will became a Celica? I just can't see TOyota having 3 sports cars in its lineup.

supra93

Expert
Reactions
An insider has hinted this is the closest rendering out there.

vw2BOdf.png

supra93

Expert
Reactions
Sadly our insider has contradicted MT. He is said around $50k-$60k, just north of 3,000lbs, 8 speed auto & DCT, BMW I6, and looking at mid 300hp. His guess would be +/-380hp, but nothing is set in stone yet.

Last edited:

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I think $50-60k is a tad rich for mid 300s for horsepower. Mustang GT and Camaro 2SS are well above that and much less expensive, but I'm excited to see what Toyota comes up with.

supra93

Expert
Reactions
I just hope there is not a 4 banger version. IMO, they will have a hard time selling a 248hp 4 cylinder for $50k. :joy:

supra93

Expert
Reactions
The Toyota Supra will Drive way Different Than the BMW Z4

The 2019 Toyota Supra and BMW Z4 are being developed alongside one another, but BMW promises the two sports cars won’t feel alike from the behind the steering wheel.

Speaking to CarAdvice, BMW Australia CEO Marc Werner said BMW and Toyota decided to develop the new Z4 and Supra together to save on development costs, but that doesn’t mean they will be the same car. Whereas the BMW will put a focus on comfort and luxury, the Supra will be a bit more bare bones and performance minded.

“Product development of each and every car costs you a couple of billion dollars, and the roadster segment is unfortunately declining over the last couple of years — not only for [BMW], but each and every manufacturer,” Werner said.

“So we decided to join forces with Toyota, as far as the development process is concerned. As far as the design is concerned, it will be absolutely unique. Not only in terms of design, but how they drive and how they handle.”

Spy photos show the Supra and Z4 will have similar proportions, but very different styling. The Z4 will be a soft-top convertible, while the Supra will be a hardtop coupe. The two cars are rumored to share powertrains, with a leaked document pointing to BMW-sourced 2.0-liter turbo four and a 3.0-liter turbo inline-six engines being used. They should also share a transmission (manual on the Supra, please!) and certain interior components.

We’re expecting to see a concept version of the 2019 Supra arrive at the Tokyo Motor Show later this month before the production car arrives sometime in 2018. Stay tuned for more info as we have it.

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2017/10/toyota-supra-will-drive-way-different-bmw-z4.html

supra93

Expert
Reactions
I thought the roof-line looked odd. So I did a chop with the concept's roof. Made the roof-line taller/thicker. Try to put some more realistic mirrors on, but it was too much work so I just left the one from the concept one. Lower the belt line and moved the rear wheel forward.

5Ij0p6T.png

Last edited:

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
A dedicated Tokyo Motor Show 2017 page on the Toyota Global Newsroom:
http://newsroom.toyota.co.jp/en/tms2017/
hints at 9 global debuts at the show, though it is unclear whether that includes or excludes the already-announced Lexus concept. Regardless, and with only the Toyota Crown Concept confirmed thus far, there's plenty of room for the hoped-for Supra Mk5 Concept debut.

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
I am not convinced it will appear there, but I appreciate a good surprise.

A dedicated Tokyo Motor Show 2017 page on the Toyota Global Newsroom:
http://newsroom.toyota.co.jp/en/tms2017/
hints at 9 global debuts at the show, though it is unclear whether that includes or excludes the already-announced Lexus concept. Regardless, and with only the Toyota Crown Concept confirmed thus far, there's plenty of room for the hoped-for Supra Mk5 Concept debut.

Where does it say that?

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
Where does it say that? (hints at 9 global debuts)
The link on my post goes to the official Toyota Global Newsroom's dedicated 2017 Tokyo Motor Show page (again, http://newsroom.toyota.co.jp/en/tms2017/ ). Said page, at the time I wrote that contained 9 boxes along the left and center columns. One of them had a picture of the Toyota Crown Concept and the other 8 were black with white lettering that reads "STAY TUNED FOR MORE...". At present, 4 of the boxes are filled in (with photos of the Tj Cruiser, GR HV Sports concept, Century and Crown) while the other 5 boxes still remain blank. Hence, my comment that the page hints at 9 global debuts.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
When I helped have a FRS/BRZ Roundtable here in Miami a couple of years ago with Tada-San... I just can't see Toyota having 3 sports cars in its lineup.
I can, bearing in mind that each one would involve a collaboration with another carmaker. Here are my thoughts:

MR2
This is the iffiest of the trio, but not totally out of the question. Don't, however, expect a rear-mid-engined sports car like the previous 3 generations. With Toyota now owning a 5% stake in Mazda, and the two broadening their alliance and joint projects, it isn't much of a stretch to picture a production version of the S-FR sports coupe sitting on the latest ND Mazda MX-5 Miata platform. Said platform is front-mid-engined (yes, every bit of the engine sits behind the front axle line, unlike pseudo-front-mid-engine architectures such as Nissan FM or Toyota/Lexus GA-L), so the MR2 badge would be justified.

Arguments against this scenario? For one, Toyota hasn't (as of this writing) renewed the MR2 trademark. Also, I was at that "FRS/BRZ Roundtable here in Miami a couple of years ago with Tada-San" and, even then, the "S-FR as Miata derivative" rumors were around. I asked him about that, but he denied any connection between the two, and at least one other published report echoed the denial Tada-san told me face-to-face. In fact, some published reports have suggested that the production S-FR project is dead.

Then again, the original 86/FR-S/BRZ was such an on-again/off-again project subject to numerous false rumors and off-base renderings (not to mention conflicting reports of how similar or dissimilar the Toyota and Subaru versions would turn out to be). My point? I wouldn't rule out a production S-FR/MR2 yet. There are still 5 unrevealed Toyota debuts for the 2017 Tokyo Motor Show. Whether or not one of those 5 is a new S-FR or MR2 concept will be telling...

Celica
Toyota just renewed this trademark. My suspicion (or personal hope?): that this badge will be applied to the second generation of the joint Toyota/Subaru "middle" sports car. Though some feared that this would be a one-generation wonder, numerous reports suggest that there will be a second generation, and not a denial in sight. I always felt that Celica was the most appropriate badge for this, even ahead of the original's launch, and here's hoping it happens for its successor.

Supra
Obviously, Toyota's top-of-the-line sports car, a fraternal twin to BMW's 3rd-gen Z4 roadster. My fear here is that too much BMWness in the mechanicals would mean that Toyota's vaunted reputation for bulletproof reliability would take a hit.

Ultimately, though, the Supra test mules I've seen look closer than expected in size to the current 86. And a production S-FR/MR2 couldn't be too much smaller than the 86. Maybe it is overkill to make such a trio of closely-spaced/sized sports cars in a crossover SUV-mad world.