(2025MY+) 380D Camry Discussion

mikeavelli

Reactions
Crown sedan (RWD) in the US isn't happening and I don't know why anyone continues to torture themselves over it.

One of the reveal videos said that the TRD was yet to be announced. I highly doubt that they will try to make a TRD with 232hp, so we can assume they have something else coming. Maybe PHEV the same way they positioned the Prius Prime as the sportier of the two drivetrains (Prius gets LE, XLE, and Limited trims, Prime gets SE and XSE trims)?

I haven't been in a Crown, so I can't comment on space from experience, but it sounds like they are practically the same size inside with Camry winning a few dimensions and Crown winning others.

I know, just staying i don’t understand moving someone from a sedan into a raised sedan.

I’ve driven and been in both many times and as press cars. Crown interior is much better but Camry is roomier. Crown isn’t cramped by any means.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Screenshot 2023-11-15 at 8.34.50 PM.pngScreenshot 2023-11-15 at 8.35.29 PM.pngScreenshot 2023-11-15 at 8.37.31 PM.pngScreenshot 2023-11-15 at 8.37.46 PM.png

The design sketches make me wish they'd done more to update the body outside of the front and rear. The stronger character line through the body and squaring off of the curves in the front and rear fenders work much better together in conjunction with the new front end and rear end designs.

Sulu

Expert
Reactions
Toyota Unveils the Powerful and Purely Hybrid Next Generation Camry

Seeing these minimal exterior body panel changes reminds me of the 7th-generation Camry's great mid-generation refresh. The square-lined 7th-generation Camry did not go over well here in North American so in the refresh, all body panels -- except the roof -- were changed; the much more-rounded shape sold much better.

Toyota-Camry-2012-800-06.jpg
2012 Camry (courtesy of NetCarShow.com)

Toyota-Camry-2015-800-01.jpg
2015 Camry (courtesy of NetCarShow.com)

In the switch from the 8th- to 9th-generation Camrys, it seems that much more than just one body panel remained the same.

The driver side of the dashboard seems to be the same, only changing from the centre stack to the passenger side. The lower centre console only had minimal styling changes. The gear shifter remains a cable-operated one, I see, rather than the electronic one in the Crown.

Development and Manufacturing led by U.S.

The 2025 Toyota Camry is expected to arrive at Toyota Dealerships in the Spring of 2024.
Will there be a Camry Prime (or Crown Signia Prime)? I am waiting for a Prime or an ES h+ model.

The Camry will also have enhanced seat comfortability. Toyota engineers achieved this by changing the shape and density of the seat cushion and by increasing the cushion length. The headrest was also softened and moved rearward to enhance seat and ride comfort. That comfort can be extended on the XLE and XSE grades with available front heated and ventilated seats that can be adjusted to three levels. These higher-end grades will also have a quieter cabin thanks to the standard front-side acoustic laminated glass to help reduce wind noise and harshness.
Some changes no doubt due to American influence:
  • Increasing the cushion length will be good for thigh support.
  • Moving the headrest rearward is probably another American influence, who like their headrests (much) further back. I wonder, though, how it will affect IIHS safety ratings.
I have not seen any pictures of the back seat, so I can only assume that there are no changes back there. I was at least hoping for the return to adjustable and removable rear (outboard) headrests. Those tall, fixed rear headrests must get in the way of parents trying to install a car seat tether over them.

I am not so happy with the rest of the interior; there is still too much black for my taste. Changing that front seat centre armrest / storage bin cover to match the seat colour (as it does in the Crown Signia) would have been a minimal but nice change.

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions
Toyota has been on a roll lately so I expected another hit with the Camry but... this ain't it.

The exterior design is a downgrade for sure. The curvy body lines from the 2018-2024 don't match up at all with the new squared off rear end or the new insect front end (which is awkward looking).

Interior is a mixed bag. New screen and Crown steering wheel are nice, but the huge black plastic arm across the dash is horrible.

Specs and hybrid-only are wins, but the design...... yikes, fam.
That's one of the things that bug me the most about Toyota, they are just so inconsistent with what they do to their products. Sometimes, they can bang out really good cars, like the new Prius, but then other times they'll release a “new” model that's actually the old model that looks like it had went through 2 failed plastic surgery attempts.

Levi

Expert
Reactions

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions
Friendly advice, I wouldn't hold my hopes up for a “GR Camry” if I were you, the majority of consumers and car manufacturers have made it loud and clear that the writing is on the wall for mid-size sedans.

Sulu

Expert
Reactions
I believe that this is the last Camry, as we know it. The next-generation model, assuming it is still named "Camry", is likely a BEV on the dedicated EV platform.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Likely there won't be a Camry PHV because too any higher margin products are sharing that battery production capacity.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I believe that this is the last Camry, as we know it. The next-generation model, assuming it is still named "Camry", is likely a BEV on the dedicated EV platform.

I don't think so for two reasons:

1. Price: Unless there are massive improvements around scale and price of EVs compared to what we see today, I wouldn't expect a BEV-only Camry anytime soon. This is Toyota's bread and butter sedan, and it needs to be affordable to buy, own and repair.

2. Charging infrastructure: Most Camry buyers are looking for "go anywhere, do anything, never worry about it" basic appliance utility, and the charging network and infrastructure we currently have are very much at odds with that type of ownership.

Sulu

Expert
Reactions
I don't think so for two reasons:

1. Price: Unless there are massive improvements around scale and price of EVs compared to what we see today, I wouldn't expect a BEV-only Camry anytime soon. This is Toyota's bread and butter sedan, and it needs to be affordable to buy, own and repair.

2. Charging infrastructure: Most Camry buyers are looking for "go anywhere, do anything, never worry about it" basic appliance utility, and the charging network and infrastructure we currently have are very much at odds with that type of ownership.
I based my thought on the idea behind the current IS, which is also a refinement of the previous-generation rather than an "all new" model. As we expect, this IS is an extension of the IS-as-we-know-it before a truly new, likely BEV model is introduced.

I agree with your 2nd point about Camry's go anywhere, anytime reputation. That seems like a good argument for a stop-gap EREV (extended-range EV) model (i.e. PHEV) of the Camry, if not for the battery shortage.

larryren

Follower
Reactions
ChDM exclusive 2L hybrid. It same with US/Euro Corolla Cross output. Engine 112kW with PB10 ECVT(hi-output 1VM)
w1200_yichecar_202311153949004059886946363.jpg.webp

Sulu

Expert
Reactions
This is much nicer - I wish the US Camry had this interior.
I am going to reserve judgment based upon seeing just one dark photo but I do want to say that I am NOT impressed with the North American Camry interior. I don't know if that is because of poor or limited suppliers, or cost suppression (or both); the interior is too dark, dour and gloomy, and just feels cheap.

larryren

Follower
Reactions
This is much nicer - I wish the US Camry had this interior.
Chinese netizens had quite different comments about the interior design. Most said they liked the physical buttons on the dashboard and accused GAC-Toyota of changing the original design. In fact, as you can see from the pictures on the booth site, the air conditioning panel is made with a textured material, which I personally think looks a bit like Nissan's Ariya. The overall look is also more premium.

ChxkmmVXesGAQnp1ACK6CvHOeak462.jpg

w0_m82_yichecar_202311177651020428348732879.jpg.webp

w0_m82_yichecar_202311176100020087817758864.jpg.webp

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I like the physical buttons under the screen on the USDM Camry, but I like pretty much everything about this more... mostly that the Chinese market Camry doesn't have that big black plastic arm across the passenger side of the dash over to the screen. I wonder if that comes off - it's that bad!