(2025MY+) 380D Camry Discussion

Sulu

Expert
Reactions
IMO, the compromises that come along with a GR-Four style 4WD system are not appropriate for what are effectively commuter cars. Those compromises include a bunch of additional mechanical drag that impacts performance and fuel efficiency while requiring space for a prop shaft to run through the cabin hurting space efficiency. The separate rear motor also gives the vehicle some opportunity to efficiently change the front rear bias without using a heavy, costly, inefficient center coupler. The AWD in a Camry just needs to be able to help the car get going in the snow and maintain momentum in slow speed bad weather driving. The eAWD does a good job of this despite not passing the 3 roller test (which, TBH, isn't relevant at all to normal driving).

Anecdotally, the eAWD on my wife's UX300h has been really impressive so far. It doesn't have an obvious FWD feeling and the more powerful rear motor that came with the 300h is shown as contributing up to 60mph. So, it is effective where AWD is really useful. That's a big improvement over the previous model that had very limited input from the rear motor. For cars that are neither rock crawlers or track machines, this is a very balanced system.
Because the eAWD is electronic means it should be much more easily integrated with other electronics systems like traction and stability control, and much more easily configurable. I would not be surprised if Toyota is tweaking parameters right now to make the eAWD system work better -- as well as the mechanical system.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Isn't that basically the SE grille? I'm undecided on which I like overall. I think the black grille is more conventionally attractive, but I think the body color grille definitely looks more futuristic. It's a good at illustrating the transition to what we'll more likely see on BEVs.

oh mahn i didn’t know lol