(2025MY+) 380D Camry Discussion

Sulu

Expert
Reactions
And the Accord is way behind on fuel efficiency. Honda is about two generations behind Toyota in hybrid tech despite using a theoretically superior architecture.
One of the reviews I watched said that the difference between the Accord Hybrid and the Camry Hybrid is that the Accord engine was constantly on but the Camry engine switched on and off.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
One of the reviews I watched said that the difference between the Accord Hybrid and the Camry Hybrid is that the Accord engine was constantly on but the Camry engine switched on and off.
i-MMD uses a clutch to engage and disengage the ICE so frequent ons and offs increase wear and tear and NVH. They are probably not as good at keeping the catalytic converter at operating temperature for emissions (which is the biggest challenge with any hybrid system design period). The best thing about THS is smoothness which also allows them to do ICE start/stop much more frequently. Many TNGA hybrids can drive 80%+ in EV mode in daily commute scenarios.

Flagship1

Follower
Reactions
I could switch the emblems on these vehicles, and no buyer would notice. Folks in this category just want an appliance that never breakdowns.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I saw two new Camrys yesterday (a black SE/XSE and a white LE) and was surprised with how similar they look to the "last gen" model. Even the front and rear don't look all that different in passing.

A lot of the press photos of the new front end are from 8" off the ground, and sure, that view looks very different. But standing up like a normal person and seeing the car in the sheetmetal... it doesn't feel like as much of a change as I anticipated.

The design does look nice but I wish they'd done a little more to change the sides of the car to further distinguish it from the last model.

qtb007

Follower
Reactions
I saw two new Camrys yesterday (a black SE/XSE and a white LE) and was surprised with how similar they look to the "last gen" model. Even the front and rear don't look all that different in passing.

A lot of the press photos of the new front end are from 8" off the ground, and sure, that view looks very different. But standing up like a normal person and seeing the car in the sheetmetal... it doesn't feel like as much of a change as I anticipated.

The design does look nice but I wish they'd done a little more to change the sides of the car to further distinguish it from the last model.
In person, I think the hammerhead headlights really stand out on the new Camry. That definitely helps distinguish. But I agree about the sides and the rear quarter. Changing the line through the door handles to something more crisp would have really tied the design together. TBH, in a shrinking segment, I understand why they did what they did and the previous gen Camry aged pretty gracefully anyway, so no harm no foul... but I don't think it would have taken a lot more work to change the door skin stamping.

Flagship1

Follower
Reactions
Brought the Tacoma over for service this morning and this new Camry SE was parked outside. Heavy Metal is beautiful in person - almost like Toyota’s version of Atomic Silver, just a shade more gray.
how is the paint quality?

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
how is the paint quality?

I didn't go over the car in depth, but it seemed very nice, basically like Lexus quality.

I feel like some of Toyota's/Lexus' paint quality has been not-so-great lately and this seemed very well done.