2018 LS Master Thread (Debuts 1/9/17 8:30am -2017 NAIAS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reactions
A nomenclature change for the turbo engines IMO would also be a foolish idea; it would simply be following the Germans instead of Lexus doing it their own way. I find the German approach to turbo nomenclature confusing and counter-intuitive.

A nomenclature change for the turbo engine is unexpected and yes, foolish but considering the fact that Lexus has already trademarked GS300, RX300 and NX300 namaplates, it all makes sense. Indeed, detuned 3.5 liter V6 in IS300/RC300 (255hp) for GS/RX/NX300 is possible, but that NA 3.5 L V6 is now outdated and as krew mentioned, it adds only 20 hp to NX/GS200t. In short, introducing low power NA 3.5 liter as a new engine option is simply odd and very out of date IMAO. So my guess is that GS/RX/NX300 nameplate will replace 200t nameplate at the future refresh with same 2 liter turbo engine getting slight power increase. If this is the case, it is only natural that LS500 nameplate is used for 3.5 liter twin turbo version.

If this new information is true, there is a lot of disappointment IMHO. I also can't imagine the LS dropping the V8. That would be very disappointing. That would mean the LC gets a V8 and the LS doesn't? It only increases the anticipation to see the full reveal and specs. Also if we compare to the S Class, there are a huge number of engine options available on the S Class in different world markets. A turbo 4 I think would be a terrible idea for the LS IMO, but then again the S Class does offer a 4 cyl in select markets, so let's hope if a turbo 4 does appear it is only for select markets.

.....But LC500 gets 5 liter V8 and LS500 doesn't.....this is still a mystery and confusing. But anyways, introducing L4 turbo is a good idea IMO. It helps Lexus to gain larger market share especially in emerging market like China and India or perhaps in Europe where there is a kind of obsession with engine downsizing.

Last edited:

Levi

Expert
Reactions
A nomenclature change for the turbo engine is unexpected and yes, foolish but considering the fact that Lexus has already trademarked GS300, RX300 and NX300 namaplates, it all makes sense. Indeed, detuned 3.5 liter V6 in IS300/RC300 (255hp) for GS/RX/NX300 is possible, but that NA 3.5 L V6 is now outdated and as krew mentioned, it adds only 20 hp to NX/GS200t. In short, introducing low power NA 3.5 liter as a new engine option is simply odd and very out of date IMAO. So my guess is that GS/RX/NX300 nameplate will replace 200t nameplate at the future refresh with same 2 liter turbo engine with slight power increase. If this is the case, it is only natural that LS500 nameplate is used for 3.5 liter twin turbo version.

.....But LC500 gets 5 liter V8 and LS500 doesn't.....this is still a mystery and confusing. But anyways, introducing L4 turbo is a good idea IMO. It helps Lexus to gain larger market share especially in emerging market like China and India or perhaps in Europe where there is a kind of obsession with engine downsizing.

LC uses RC F tech, so see the the LC 500 as an exception. More than that the next IS F is to get V6 Turbo engine. While 500 PS V8 and 600 PS V12 is nice for image and marketing, there is no business case. The fact that there is no V8, is on the contrary a possible sign of a true performance V8 F version.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I assume LS might still have a V8... you'll just have to step up to LS F to get it!

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
LC uses RC F tech, so see the the LC 500 as an exception. More than that the next IS F is to get V6 Turbo engine. While 500 PS V8 and 600 PS V12 is nice for image and marketing, there is no business case. The fact that there is no V8, is on the contrary a possible sign of a true performance V8 F version.
The next IS F should have a V6 IMO even if the engine sound isn't as good, there are people who will want a performance car that doesn't guzzle so much gas. Right now, the IS F used is at good prices, but it has a V8, which doesn't work with my budget.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
If Lexus is going to design a TT V6 and pair it with their new 10AT and there is some type of weight or packaging savings by doing so, I do not have a problem with this type of thinking at all.

Do I wish the LS had a V8? Yes.

However, times are changing - rapidly.

I don't think the CT6 is any type of target for the LS, but that car also weighs about 3,800lbs which is about a thousand pounds less than an S Class or 7 Series. If Lexus has a plan to build and package an LS like this - a car that's low on weight and high on power/tech, then I am all for it.

If this new engine is 420hp, we're probably also looking at something like 400+ lb-ft of torque. Lexus engines have been short on torque for a long time, so I'm pretty excited about it. This would be the first new or updated V6 engine we've seen in 12 years.

I also have faith that LS F will happen, and will be a V8.

This is all good news to me.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
krew
16-11-28-lexus-ls-200b-v6.jpg

Japanese magazine Mag-X has new information on the upcoming flagship sedan.
View the original article post

Reactions: Den

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
So we are looking at some naming changes, another interesting point.

This seems to clear up the random "300" trademarks we had earlier this year that nobody understood.

NX 200t --> NX 300
IS 200t --> IS 300 (already trademarked for V6 AWD version)
RC 200t --> RC 300 (already trademarked for V6 AWD version)
GS 200t --> GS 300

I like the simplification, personally. Too many letters and numbers and it become's difficult to keep up with. If it's an ICE, drop the "t." I like hybrids still being "h." We still have F and F Sport, AWD, etc.

It does raise questions about other things though. Is Lexus phasing out the 2GR-FSE? If so, what do we expect in the next gen GS?

GS 300 (2.0T), GS 500 (3.0T), GS 300h and GS 500h?

I wonder what engine options Lexus is planning for the 4IS? I assume there will be a 2.0T base engine, but maybe a detuned version of this new 3.0T for an "IS 400" or something similar? Or would they just plug the 3.0T into it and give us "IS 500"? That seems like overkill.

Some exciting things are happening with Lexus --- FINALLY!

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
For CAFE as it stood earlier this year, no V8 in the LS makes good regulatory sense. If CAFE gets scaled back at all as people are expecting, I think we'll see the swift return of a V8.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I don't even know that I think the repeal or dumbing-down of CAFE will have much of an impact at this point. Automakers planned for these changes years ago and I think there's a general consensus that we need to do what we can to reduce Co2 emissions across the globe (both on behalf of OEMs and the consumer public). There have been billions of dollars invested into alternative powertrains, charging infrastructure, hydrogen, electrification, forced induction, lightweight materials and platforms, CVTs, etc.

I think auto makers are staying the course at this point, but if some part of CAFE is scaled back, it will be a "nice to have" for performance models and trucks/SUVs.

Just my .02.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
i don't think they will remove the V8 completely
maybe this for Japan or Europe
a complete delete for the V8 which is the definition of the LS from 1989 and only depending on the V6 will mean that Lexus killed there own and the last Japanese flagship

Levi

Expert
Reactions
When you look at all the S Classes, 7 Series and A8 (in Europe) they are usually powered by diesel 6 cylinder engines.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
@Levi
yeah that's what i said
i think it will be mainly for Asia & Europe but the V8 5.0L will be around also
the V8 is here in the LS for stay
no V8 even as option = no LS

Reactions
I don't believe in the radical nomenclature change. I can believe they'll remove the "t" from the name but to call the 3.5L TT the LS500 is just too much. You guys are forgetting that lexus trademarked the LS350 name in japan. My take on this is the LS350 will be the 3.5L TT 421HP while they'll still offer a 5.0 liter 2UR-FSE LS500 467HP engine at the top end.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
the V8 is here in the LS for stay
no V8 even as option = no LS

As possibly the only poster on here who will admit to liking the 4.6 V8, I sympathize. But you're going to see pretty much all the prestige luxury sedans go turbo 6 in their next major refresh.

Status
Not open for further replies.