2018 LS Master Thread (Debuts 1/9/17 8:30am -2017 NAIAS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Black Dynamite

Follower
Reactions
I put some credence into this rumor because the 5.0 V8 has a clear torque gap that needs to be filled. The BEST solution is to add a turbo to the V8 to fill that gap. The problem with this strategy is Americans will look down on it not just because its a V6 against twin-turbo V8s, but it is down on power against the 7 and S. If it had the same power and torque, not a huge problem, when you get 25% better fuel economy, but smaller and weaker is......smaller and weaker.

That said, I don't think this is THE LS engine. This may be an entry level engine, like if they keep the SWB, that car might get that engine, and the 5.0 goes to the LWB. I could see that happening. It would be a mistake to o without a V8 and depend on a smaller and weaker engine to fight the big dogs.

The ONLY way that MIGHT work is if the car comes in close to 4000 lbs, and is just as fast as any German while being more efficient. Even then, I would advise against it.....

I can see three engines offered, Turbo six, V8 and hybrid, and the LSFwill need the turbo V8, but the V8 stays, at least one more generation.
BD

Reactions
That said, I don't think this is THE LS engine. This may be an entry level engine, like if they keep the SWB, that car might get that engine, and the 5.0 goes to the LWB. I could see that happening. It would be a mistake to o without a V8 and depend on a smaller and weaker engine to fight the big dogs.

I'm repeatedly hearing the rumor from several reliable information providers that 5LS will be offered in single wheelbase, which I think will be somewhat inbetween SWL and LWB of S class, 7 series, etc. And maybe it is LWB leaned.

James

Founding Member
Reactions
Looks really good! Also seems like we will get a V-8 in the LS. I mean come on how can it not have a V-8 as one of its options...

Black Dynamite

Follower
Reactions
Maybe the smaller engine will be for foreign markets, like japan, but the U.S. will still get the V8 it needs to repeat.
I can see this being aded in the refresh as an option, but Lexus USA will not sell the LS around a V6
BD

Levi

Expert
Reactions
It better, it's a little bit small compared to its competition

I somehow like that Lexus models a smaller than their rivals. Cars are just getting too big without reason. There are almost no sports cars that are not as long as compact sedans.

Reactions
I believe this too....LWB only....I'm hearing the next GS will grow quite a bit...

Talking about GS is off the topic in this thread so I'm not going to dig deep into it, but I heard the rumor from again reliable information provider that either GS or ES (he wouldn't tell me what it specifically is) will disappear from Lexus lineup. Considering its sales slump and difficulty in positioning itself in the lineup, I suspect it will be GS. But this is JUST a rumor and uncertain, so for now I strongly hope this is never gonna happen.

Last edited:

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Talking about GS is off the topic in this thread so I'm not going to dig deep into it, but I heard the rumor from again reliable information provider that either GS or ES (he wouldn't tell me what it specifically is) will disappear from Lexus lineup. Considering its sales slump and difficulty in positioning itself in the lineup, I suspect it will be GS. But this is JUST a rumor and uncertain, so for now I strongly hope this is never gonna happen.

The ES is not sold in Western Europe, only the GS, but it can't make a dent in 5 Series, E Class and A6 sales. So that is quite possible. But are not the Toyota Mark X and Lexus GS on the same platform? The Mark X is a JDM model only I think.

Den

Fan
Reactions
The future.... Before the premiere of the new Lexus LS in Detroit, where 28 years ago the first time was represented the first generation of the flagship model remains the month :cool:

15384551_1443620029001515_1195358376044625860_o.jpg

Reactions
Apparently the LC500 shares the same platform as the new LS so the way the LC drives and handles might be an indication of what to expect from the LS.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Official announcement of the debut is finally here! The wait is almost over. This day has been eagerly awaited by many for quite a few years now.

Now, 28 years later, the all-new LS sedan will be a world-class car for more than 90 countries around the globe, boasting a bold new look with a coupe-like silhouette. Built on the company’s all-new global architecture for luxury vehicles (GA–L), the premium rear-wheel drive platform—an extended version of that used in the LC 500—will offer a more dynamic experience on the road. Inside the spacious cabin, luxurious appointments and visionary technology will provide drivers with the luxury experience they expect from a global flagship sedan.

Well Lexus, many have VERY high expectations of the new LS, seeing as it's so overdue, and should have debuted years ago on the market. We'll see soon enough if expectations are met. Confirming the 5LS as a global car for many markets means many direct comparisons with the S Class. Let's see what you got Lexus.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I'm really starting to wonder if the horizontal grille bars are dead. They are absent from the LC, which I was ok with because it's a sporty product, but for an LS to debut with only a mesh grille.... I'm surprised.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
krew
16-12-08-lexus-ls-teaser-image.jpg

A new teaser image was also released, showing parts of the fifth-generation flagship.
View the original article post

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
Yup! Looks like the renderings we have been seeing were quite accurate. And it looks like the two Lexus Flagships are abandoning the horizontal slat Spindle Grille entirely for the mesh grille, even on the non-F Sport, which I remember someone predicting. It honestly looks incredible, and Lexus is saying that it will have a "coupe-like silhouette" which is exactly what I remember reading in an old BEYOND by Lexus article on the LF-FC lol. Unlike the LC, this seems to have a chrome bar on the top of the grille too.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
I'm really starting to wonder if the horizontal grille bars are dead. They are absent from the LC, which I was ok with because it's a sporty product, but for an LS to debut with only a mesh grille.... I'm surprised.

I really hope Lexus does not abandon the horizontal grille bars/slats on the 5LS. Currently you can get the horizontal grille slats on almost every main Lexus model, save the RC and full F models. The RC though is kind of a black sheep styling-wise in the Lexus lineup.

The LC now also breaks from tradition. What's really concerning to me is that the LC, as a base main model looks like an F-Sport model. From the grille design, to the tires (run flat only), to the complete lack of wood trim in the interior, to the sporty seats, to the LFA-style instrument panel, and so on...it all makes it look like an F-Sport model, even though it is not classed as such. Further muddying things is the fact that the LC has the RC F and GS F engine....but it's not an F model. Quite a few things IMHO don't make sense regarding the LC, and I really hope that it's an exception like the RC (and LFA), and not the start of some trend that carries on to the 5LS and other future models.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the LS teaser image is of an F-Sport model.

Also we can now officially say that since the 4LS debuted in January 2006, and the 5LS is now debuting in January 2017, it will be a full 11 years between generations. That is just ridiculous. Lexus should be ashamed of themselves for letting it come to this, to have such a MASSIVE time gap between generations.

Last edited:

Rydo

Follower
Reactions
I just had to join up the forums guys and offer my two cents. I'm Ryan from Scotland by the way.

Been watching the developments of the LF-FC to reality for the past year and been enjoying each little tidbit of information, but today have been totally disappointed.

There are two things that don't give me hope that the new LS is going to be 'LF-FC to LC500' levels of concept to reality. First of all, the grille looks a solid 30%-40% smaller than the concept. Although the concept was outlandish, the grill being so huge and menacing was what gave it the almighty presence.

Next, the tall vertical air intakes have been axed for small meek rounded things. Again, not the concept.

So after a year of being hyped that Lexus would pull another LC for us all, it now looks like the car I have been absolutely in love with won't come to market in the form I am used to obsessing over.

When I was reading the thread the one thing I did note was that where you guys seeemed happy with the tame renderings, I was really disappointed each time to see essentially a facelift of what exists now rather than a radical re-think.

Wonder what you guys think...

Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.