2018 LS Master Thread (Debuts 1/9/17 8:30am -2017 NAIAS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
Now that we can see the headlights better, there is a shocking similarity between the renderings and spy shots:
731150e2-s.jpg
16-10-31-lexus-ls-best-car-rendering.jpg

Lexus-LS-Erlkoenig-fotoshowBig-6e597548-989379.jpg

And also the Altezza-style taillights from the second rendering also seems to be in the spy shots of the rear which is disappointing because it would not look luxurious at all and too sporty just like the GS.

Reactions: Den

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Most excellent finds White Beach, thanks!

I agree that the steering wheel in the spy shot does not befit the prestige of the LS. It may be an F-Sport LS, but overall I agree that the steering wheel should be nicer. The paddle shifters make it seem like it is an F Sport model.

As well, I also agree with Gecko in that it could simply be a dummy steering wheel being used to throw people off. There is very heavy camo being used even in the interior, so at this point we just don't know regarding the steering wheel.

To me, what's more interesting than the steering wheel is right around the gauge cluster. Despite the heavy interior camo, I am confident that photo shows us a glimpse at the level of quality and craftsmanship the LS interior will have. Look at the area right in front of the gauge cluster lens, there is stitching and what looks to be some soft touch material right around the gauge cluster. This has me very excited, as that level of craftsmanship simply isn't seen in this class. The only vehicles I've seen with similar levels of craftsmanship right around the gauge cluster are really high end Brabus Mercedes models. I'm pretty sure that stitching around the gauge cluster we see on that LS shot is part of the production interior, and not any camo. I can't wait to see the interior fully unveiled, as this little glimpse of craftsmanship around the gauge cluster hints at a big leap forward in terms of quality and craftsmanship for the 5LS interior, and it needs nothing less to go head to head with the S Class, not to mention help entice Tesla Model S buyers.

The German shots finally give us a glimpse of the full production body with front and rear lights. Definitely looking very sleek and modern in the German shots.

Lexus Cohen

Follower
Reactions
Well as you stated sales are great so can assume core buyers have moved into the new striking styled Lexus and they have gotten more conquest buyers. Contrarily there are those Lexus loyalists that do not like the new styling and are waiting for something more calm or have moved on. Many here have posted they are not buying a new one. You also have some people that don't want a 4 cylinder and prefer a 6 cylinder so they are sticking to older models.

In my field I've never heard so much interest and comments about Lexus before and it has been the styling that has been the catalyst. The majority of commentary are from people who never owned a Lexus or ever considered one. Now I hear comments like "wow I would rock a NX" or "the RC F looks great". I would think my experience is echoed by many here.

I believe it was ten years ago when wheels were being set in motion when I remember an article from a Lexus executive stating something to the effect "we will try our best to appease current loyal Lexus owners while reaching out to new ones but we cannot be held back anymore into just being safe and appealing to the same people".

autowp.ru_lexus_ls400_us-spec_32.jpg

35130781997-Lexus-LS400-front.jpg

1998056_2001_LS430_front-prv.jpg

440px-Lexus_LS_460_front_fascia_profile.jpg

12-07-25-2013-lexus-ls-front.jpg

16-02-15-lexus-lf-fc-front.jpg

As I just searched and posted these pics, I am stunned at the transformation of the front end of the LS from harmless to wants to eat your baby :D
That's exactly what she's saying.

GuoxJason

Fan
Reactions
It looks like there is more leather around the instrument cluster than there is in the LC 500! Of course, most automakers nowadays do not use real leather for the top of the dash, but I still appreciate the contrasting stitching.

GuoxJason

Fan
Reactions
I know you have the first version of every generation shown, but let us not forget the gorgeous, facelifted second generation LS 400 with the clear lens headlights!

Well as you stated sales are great so can assume core buyers have moved into the new striking styled Lexus and they have gotten more conquest buyers. Contrarily there are those Lexus loyalists that do not like the new styling and are waiting for something more calm or have moved on. Many here have posted they are not buying a new one. You also have some people that don't want a 4 cylinder and prefer a 6 cylinder so they are sticking to older models.

In my field I've never heard so much interest and comments about Lexus before and it has been the styling that has been the catalyst. The majority of commentary are from people who never owned a Lexus or ever considered one. Now I hear comments like "wow I would rock a NX" or "the RC F looks great". I would think my experience is echoed by many here.

I believe it was ten years ago when wheels were being set in motion when I remember an article from a Lexus executive stating something to the effect "we will try our best to appease current loyal Lexus owners while reaching out to new ones but we cannot be held back anymore into just being safe and appealing to the same people".

autowp.ru_lexus_ls400_us-spec_32.jpg

35130781997-Lexus-LS400-front.jpg

1998056_2001_LS430_front-prv.jpg

440px-Lexus_LS_460_front_fascia_profile.jpg

12-07-25-2013-lexus-ls-front.jpg

16-02-15-lexus-lf-fc-front.jpg

As I just searched and posted these pics, I am stunned at the transformation of the front end of the LS from harmless to wants to eat your baby :D

oem_is300

Founding Member
Reactions
I know you have the first version of every generation shown, but let us not forget the gorgeous, facelifted second generation LS 400 with the clear lens headlights!

I saw one of those the other day, owned by a couple older folk, in incredible shape. The facelifted LS400 really has a timeless design that even almost 20 years later looks good when kept up.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Excellent observation Hakop Fetulagian. Those rear seats definitely look encapsulated upon close inspection of the rear seat area in those shots. They definitely are encapsulated in a similar way as the LF-FC concept.

Also I noticed the USA shots of the car with fake headlights and taillights...that prototype has a twin exhaust. In the German shots with production lights, I don't see any visible exhaust, so I think we're looking at a hybrid, fuel cell, or EV model in the German shots.

Regarding the discussion around the side mirrors, I don't think the production 5LS will lack side mirrors in most world markets, due to the current laws in most markets. I can possibly see the 5LS being mirrorless in a select few markets worldwide where the laws will allow it.

I also totally forgot, but regarding the spy shots of the 5LS in Death Valley...unless my eyes are deceiving me, it looks like that 5LS prototype has a staggered tire setup. If so, I can logically see a staggered setup being on an F-Sport model.

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
Well if the German spy shots are LWB and also hybrid, does that mean the LS 500hL will be a direct successor to the 600hL and the hybrid won't be available on SWB?

mordecai

Follower
Reactions
I really really hope the steering wheel design is not final. Totally agree with the post comparing it to the S-class.

With that said, I do like that it's keeping the same instrument cluster "hood" design just like in the LC500 and the LFA with the knobs coming out of on either side. It's a direct genetic tie to Lexus' most exciting car ever-- the LFA.

Lexus-LF-FX-interior-01.jpg

Anyone else think they're going to outdo the S-class by making the entire dashboard essentially all screen?

it seems like it would be super expensive, but I'd love Lexus even more if they tried! They need us excited again as the brand's halo car.

Edit: Also, please don't let the LS' steering wheel be like the concept car's wheel -- I'd rather have the LC's steering wheel than THAT monstrous thing. It looks like a fat saucer from the 1970s.

Last edited:

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
I really really hope the steering wheel design is not final. Totally agree with the post comparing it to the S-class.

With that said, I do like that it's keeping the same instrument cluster "hood" design just like in the LC500 and the LFA with the knobs coming out of on either side. It's a direct genetic tie to Lexus' most exciting car ever-- the LFA.

Lexus-LF-FX-interior-01.jpg

Anyone else think they're going to outdo the S-class by making the entire dashboard essentially all screen?

it seems like it would be super expensive, but I'd love Lexus even more if they tried! They need us excited again as the brand's halo car.

Edit: Also, please don't let the LS' steering wheel be like the concept car's wheel -- I'd rather have the LC's steering wheel than THAT monstrous thing. It looks like a fat saucer from the 1970s.
I thihk the steeringw wheel on the LF-FC is not too bad. It's just the fat spokes on the left and right, which will probably not make it into the production LS because it is not very safe to steer. Also at least it has some luxurious dark wood trim.

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
I wouldn't mind the whole top dash being a screen as long as they finally make it touch screen and still keep physical knob. If the hologram controller thing makes it into production, at least make it less gimmicky than the 7-Series virtual volume control knob.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
The whole top dash being screen would be absolutely terrible in direct sunlight or bright days. I certainly hope that does not happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.