internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
With this lack of products, even with a high sticker price, it would be beneficial to Lexus in every country to have it... To get more people talking about Lexus, to get more costumers into dealers...

I really think Toyota/Lexus is waiting for next gen battery to mature. Heck, a new article just popped up about newer HEV batteries. :)

CT200h

Fan
Reactions
With this lack of products, even with a high sticker price, it would be beneficial to Lexus in every country to have it... To get more people talking about Lexus, to get more costumers into dealers...
agree completely , They had a fresher product line up with an EV or PHEV currently in showrooms , then the UX300e would make no sense. Clearly that is not the case , An EV offering , any EV offered by Lexus in the USA would be very popular. They have underestimated the power of the brand and the pent up demand among current Lexus Hybrid owners for a full EV.........

Last edited:

Sulu

Admirer
Reactions
Twenty years ago, Toyota was much more open to risk when it introduced the Prius to the world, without knowing how it would be accepted, and then selling it at a loss for years.

And now, it is so risk averse. The German / European and the Korean automakers are all building and selling PHEVs merely by adding larger batteries to their simple HEVs, which is not an ideal platform for range-extended EVs.

“Right place, right timing, right price” sums it up so clearly how risk averse Toyota and Lexus are now.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
There are very few well-engineered PHVs out there.

Toyota Prius Prime and Hyundai Ioniq PHV are the only two engineered from the ground-up to be proper PHVs.

You need to own and drive a PHV to know what I'm saying.

corradoMR2

Founding Member
Reactions
No Canada either I'm assuming?

Same question I have. Canada does have a stronger BEV market/interest, though I'm not holding my breath.

This news is disappointing. Lexus/Toyota are becoming way too conservative and resistant to change in a time where consumers/society are embracing change and technology advances despite some shortcomings.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
In fairness to the e-tron (the dash is important, apparently!), Teslas can require coolant top-offs except you have to disassemble a significant amount of the front end to get at the filler.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
In fairness to the e-tron (the dash is important, apparently!), Teslas can require coolant top-offs except you have to disassemble a significant amount of the front end to get at the filler.

it is just inspection warning, not modified for EV :)

Otherwise, electrics have inspections just like every other vehicles, another story is why Tesla stopped doing mandatory yearly inspections (lack of service centers).

shizhi

Follower
Reactions
The Izoa EV will be upgraded soon. The latest documents show that the new model will use 18650 batteries and the batteries will be placed behind the rear seats.
B1A6B412-31F7-4C15-9C07-92AD87B31543.jpeg

Will1991

Reactions
Upgraded soon? They haven’t even started deliveries as far as I know... Will prismatic cells be a one MY affair?
Wasn’t expecting this one to be honest... It’s quite a big change... Even more from Toyota.

Is it possible to get any more translation from this picture? 🙂

shizhi

Follower
Reactions
this “soon” means one or two years later…
This file is just a preview of the start of the project ...
The other text just explains the appearance, headlights, interior differences ...
not include the most important thing —powertrain
Upgraded soon? They haven’t even started deliveries as far as I know... Will prismatic cells be a one MY affair?
Wasn’t expecting this one to be honest... It’s quite a big change... Even more from Toyota.

Is it possible to get any more translation from this picture? 🙂

Last edited:

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Did they say explicitly the 18650 cells are upgrades?

Thing is, just like Tesla, Toyota sources from more than one battery supplier (Pana/CALT/BYD), so the 18650 Izoa EV could just be a risk-reduction program with no specs upgrade.

It's interesting to see Toyota bucking the trend to go from prismatic to cylindrical. Tesla's future move to prismatic basically ended the cylindrical vs. prismatic debate (although I still believe cylindrical's advantages are still too strong to dismiss). However if Toyota stayed with cylindrical, they should move to a superior format like 2170.

Last edited:

shizhi

Follower
Reactions
Did they say explicitly the 18650 cells are upgrades?

Thing is, just like Tesla, Toyota sources from more than one battery supplier (Pana/CALT/BYD), so the 18650 Izoa EV could just be a risk-reduction program with no specs upgrade.

It's interesting to see Toyota bucking the trend to go from prismatic to cylindrical. Tesla's future move to prismatic basically ended the cylindrical vs. prismatic debate (although I still believe cylindrical's advantages are still too strong to dismiss). However if Toyota stayed with cylindrical, they should move to a superior format like 2170.
Because in the report, they turned all the current izoa-ev production to the new ev ...
产能是对等变化,直接替换…

Last edited:

shizhi

Follower
Reactions
What is the Izoa ? Upcoming car ?
Because Toyota has two partners in China, FAW Toyota and GAC Toyota.
They have the same car, or similar cars, but different names.
For example, FAW Toyota has Corolla, RAV4, Avalon, Izoa,Vios,Vellfire
and GAC Toyota has Levin, Wildlander, Camry, CHR,Yaris L,Alaphard,Highlander ...
And soon FAW Toyota will also have a Highlander, but the name will be different ...

Last edited: