Updated Lexus IS Debuts at Beijing Auto Show

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
I don’t know if they actually revealed it in real life, but they put it up on the Lexus International Website. The engine for the IS 350 hasn't upgraded to the 3.5 liter V6 of the GS yet, still 306 hp.

IS-hero.jpg

IS-exterior-l01.jpg
IS-interior-l01.jpg

Last edited:

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions

Larger multimedia screen - now 10.3" up from 7" is great. Disappointed that there wasn't more done to the interior though.

I like the new front bumper, but am not sure about the new headlights. They're a bit busy.

Gray and tan interiors have been replaced by a color that allegedly blends both.

IS-fsport-l01.jpg

New exhaust pipes look nice.

New tail lights are straight off the LF-CC and look HOT.

IS-gallery-photo03.jpg

IS-gallery-btn-photo01.jpg

Last edited:
D

DDas

I love the full grille on the base! Everything looks pretty good! I won't lie: the front vents next to the grille make it a little too boxy/bulky but not too bad. I still want one in USB please! Headlights also make it look meaner :thumbsup:

Andyl

Founding Member
Reactions
At the first glance of the pictures (not the video), I didn't like the front end especially the F-Sport model as the bigger front vents look boxy and the headlights are weird. The regular one looks great as it resembles the refreshed non F Sport GS. The rear bumper look wacky as well but the taillights are interesting and sharp.

However, at the 2nd glance, the front start to glow on me and the rear bumper start to make sense. This was also the reaction when 3IS was first launched a few years ago. Lexus has been getting bolder in design, especially the exterior.

For the interior -- all the changes are welcome. 10.3" screen is definitely the most welcome improvement and honestly it is expected as its competitors have bigger screens so it is a catching up for IS. The material inside and the way the upper and lower console are constructed are also improved. The side bolsters are now sticking out and hugging the climate control panel which have improved the perception of quality. Just a small change and it is noticeable. Interestingly the buttons for heated and ventilated seats, as well as the heated steering wheels are gone. Wonder if they have to chosen from the infotainment interface.

Hope to see more details about the inside of the cup holders as the existing pictures are not clear. If there are claws inside, then it is an improvement.

corradoMR2

Founding Member
Reactions
Interestingly the buttons for heated and ventilated seats, as well as the heated steering wheels are gone. Wonder if they have to chosen from the infotainment interface.

Nice catch AndyL. Although the console looks cleaner and more refined, it will be a pain going through menus to engage something commonly daily. I don't see it on the lower left side of the dash which further indicates it will likely be through the menus. :(

corradoMR2

Founding Member
Reactions
As for my impressions of the refreshed IS:

Exterior:
Base IS - Front end is aggressive and a step up over the last. Rear valence is nicely sculpted with the subtle fins. With the new rectangular exhaust tips, the overall rear end reminds me of the LS. :thumbsup:

F Sport
- Headlights look too busy and the flat face into the bumper and fenders make them look more mainstream at a glance now. Night time, however looks stunning with some LC DNA poking through. :thumbsup: As for the rear lower valence, I prefer the base IS' fins over the rectangular mesh. Overall, front-end has gained in more bumper sculpting but has lost in headlight sculpting. Reminds me of the refresh the CT F Sport got (nice for the CT but not sure on the IS). I'll have to reserve judgment once I see it in person.

Overall exterior - The case to get the base model increased significantly. ;) Jury's still out for the F Sport.

2017-Lexus-IS-8FL.jpg

lexus-is-200-t-f-sport-2016-01.jpg

upload_2016-4-25_7-43-20.png

Interior:
+ F Sport trim appears to be the same aluminum trim found in the refreshed GS?
Improved console materials and look.
Huge infotainment screen! :waving::thumbsup:

- Cup holders still poorly placed. Was expecting a more forward/similar arrangement to the RC's. Lexus obviously wants to maintain some distinction between the two.
Convenient physical heated/ventilated and steering wheel buttons gone?

Overall interior - Welcome improvements give a more upscale look, but at the sacrifice of ergonomics. :no_mouth:

2017-Lexus-IS-12FL.jpg

upload_2016-4-25_7-41-10.png

Powertrain:
A little disappointed but not surprised they are carry over. :confused: Lexus is still very conservative in this area. Was hoping the recent trademarked NX 300 moniker was a sign of a new "3L V6" to be possibly introduced with the '17 "IS 300" but now my hopes are down also for the NX. Instead, it may likely remain the thirsty detuned 3.5L V6. We'll see.

OVERALL: The overall styling and interior enhancements might make for a case to trade in my '14 IS but the lack of any new (and efficient) powertrains is holding me back. For now will keep my current IS. Waiting to hear more on the next CT or UX.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Nice job with pics, @corradoMR2. Looking at the front end of the current car vs. the new car, I actually much prefer the current front end. It's significantly cleaner and less cluttered in my eyes.

If I was in the market for one of these cars, I'd try to snag a good deal on a 2016 and live with the smaller screen :)

Reactions
Nice job with pics, @corradoMR2. Looking at the front end of the current car vs. the new car, I actually much prefer the current front end. It's significantly cleaner and less cluttered in my eyes.

If I was in the market for one of these cars, I'd try to snag a good deal on a 2016 and live with the smaller screen :)

I 100% agree ....other than the bigger screen and the cooler tail lights, this refresh is not blowing my mind lol

RAL

Reactions

Ditto

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I hate to be a hater, but to me, this is the ugliest Lexus front end since the HS:

640_480_20160425172721624822038418069.jpg

The headlights are terrible and this new thing Lexus is doing where they stylize the inside of the spindle with additional vents and creases... it has to stop. Spindle is busy enough already, without adding more creases and lines.

Fail.

Reactions
I hate to be a hater, but to me, this is the ugliest Lexus front end since the HS:

640_480_20160425172721624822038418069.jpg

The headlights are terrible and this new thing Lexus is doing where they stylize the inside of the spindle with additional vents and creases... it has to stop. Spindle is busy enough already, without adding more creases and lines.

Fail.
You have a fair point.

Reactions: RAL

Andyl

Founding Member
Reactions
As for my impressions of the refreshed IS:

Exterior:
Base IS
- Front end is aggressive and a step up over the last. Rear valence is nicely sculpted with the subtle fins. With the new rectangular exhaust tips, the overall rear end reminds me of the LS. :thumbsup:

F Sport
- Headlights look too busy and the flat face into the bumper and fenders make them look more mainstream at a glance now. Night time, however looks stunning with some LC DNA poking through. :thumbsup: As for the rear lower valence, I prefer the base IS' fins over the rectangular mesh. Overall, front-end has gained in more bumper sculpting but has lost in headlight sculpting. Reminds me of the refresh the CT F Sport got (nice for the CT but not sure on the IS). I'll have to reserve judgment once I see it in person.

Overall exterior - The case to get the base model increased significantly. ;) Jury's still out for the F Sport.

2017-Lexus-IS-8FL.jpg

lexus-is-200-t-f-sport-2016-01.jpg

View attachment 1476

Interior:
+ F Sport trim appears to be the same aluminum trim found in the refreshed GS?
Improved console materials and look.
Huge infotainment screen! :waving::thumbsup:

- Cup holders still poorly placed. Was expecting a more forward/similar arrangement to the RC's. Lexus obviously wants to maintain some distinction between the two.
Convenient physical heated/ventilated and steering wheel buttons gone?

Overall interior - Welcome improvements give a more upscale look, but at the sacrifice of ergonomics. :no_mouth:

2017-Lexus-IS-12FL.jpg

View attachment 1475

Powertrain:
A little disappointed but not surprised they are carry over. :confused: Lexus is still very conservative in this area. Was hoping the recent trademarked NX 300 moniker was a sign of a new "3L V6" to be possibly introduced with the '17 "IS 300" but now my hopes are down also for the NX. Instead, it may likely remain the thirsty detuned 3.5L V6. We'll see.

OVERALL: The overall styling and interior enhancements might make for a case to trade in my '14 IS but the lack of any new (and efficient) powertrains is holding me back. For now will keep my current IS. Waiting to hear more on the next CT or UX.

Great analysis and view points, CorradoMR2. :)

I also have the same sentiment towards the carry-over of the power trains. They are still too conservative in this area.

Besides, I find the revised IS is still lacking in 2-3 areas where competitors shine --- (1) choice of more powerful and fuel efficient power train, (2) transmission and (3) usability and connectivity of the infotainment system.

#1 and #2 are obvious and no explanation is necessary.

#3 -- no Apple Car Play or Android Auto --- competitors or even some lower end models have it. It hurts Lexus especially their navigation for North America still sucks in resolution and robustness. Canada is even worse as there is no Lexus Enform. On the bright side, Lexus seems to settle on the optimal form factor of the remote touch controller. The ergonomics of using the interface should improve as the palm rest and the buttons are revised, although I find no faults of using the current one. I look forward to seeing the change in the actual interface. Probably Lexus will put some new elements that are already in the 4Gen RX such as the shortcuts on the side.

For North America, the current IS also is weak in the packaging of the features for F-Sport trim --- The decision of NOT making memory seats, leather seats, auto reverse tilt, park sensors, auto-power folding mirrors, auto high beam, and LDA available in F-Sport turns off some non hardcore Lexus fans to own IS. The new A4 even offers the equivalent of Lexus surround view monitor. Even the all-new 2016 Civic has a camera below the passenger side mirror to provide the feature what they call Honda LaneWatch. Audi, BMW, Mercedes allows for interior LED colour customization. The list goes on...

RAL

Reactions
I was hoping for a little less 'gotcha' and a lot more L-Finesse ... like the LF-CC. All the busyness of the F-Sport fascia looks contrived. Simple is better ... An aggressive stance is one thing, but I don't feel the need to look like a Tasmanian Devil in your rearview mirror.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I was hoping for a little less 'gotcha' and a lot more L-Finesse ... like the LF-CC. All the busyness of the F-Sport fascia looks contrived. Simple is better ... An aggressive stance is one thing, but I don't feel the need to look like a Tasmanian Devil in your rearview mirror.

Quoted for truth. I had friends and watched people on the internet say the same thing: Lexus is "trying too hard" with design. I didn't see that with 4GS, 3IS, LC, but to me, 3.5IS, 4.5GS and 4RX are very big steps in the wrong direction.

Less is more and Lexus' styling is unnecessarily busy and chaotic lately.