Updated Lexus IS Debuts at Beijing Auto Show

OlFius

Founding Member
Reactions
I hate to be a hater, but to me, this is the ugliest Lexus front end since the HS:

640_480_20160425172721624822038418069.jpg

The headlights are terrible and this new thing Lexus is doing where they stylize the inside of the spindle with additional vents and creases... it has to stop. Spindle is busy enough already, without adding more creases and lines.

Fail.

I'm also not so a fan. It's a little bit too much of different lines and shapes. No unity.

Tinhinnh

Follower
Reactions
I like the revised fascia, the current one doesn't really mesh with the rest of the lineup. Not really suprised with the carryover powertrain since they don't typically introduce a brand new engine with the facelift.

RAL

Reactions
hmmm ... so this is the refreshed IS ...

I accept the fact the spindle grille is polarizing. It definitely took a while for it to grow on me. And who can argue with the sales numbers. We have friends who either really love it on our NX ... or friends who are just politely quiet. But, a couple days ago a good friend said he wanted a new car. I encouraged him to consider Lexus especially since he has ridden in all of ours over the years and complimented them (he is not one to offer compliments ... ever!). He can be painfully candid though! ... he responded to my suggestion with the following: "I gotta tell ya ... Lexus have become ****-ugly!" ... At that moment I reminded myself ... wisdom is silent more than she isn't.

So what's my point to sharing this little blurb? ... I think it is time for the design pendulum to begin to swing back toward L-Finesse. I thought we were seeing the beginning of this trend in the LC and the LF-FC. But now I am perplexed. I don't understand why the designers have pushed the envelope even farther with this IS front fascia refresh since the design was already sufficiently pleasing to those looking for the aggressive stance. Other brands have proven that an aggressive stance can be even more forcefully achieved with a healthy blend of simplicity and refinement. To me this is the key to the universal appeal of the LC. With all due respect to Lexus Designers, follow your heartbeat when you created the LC.

I look forward to the Denny Clements interview since he was in charge at the inception of L-Finesse.

Dreski

Fan
Reactions
I can't really tell from the pics... The Day Time Running Lights LED's still dotted?

James

Founding Member
Reactions
I agree to some extent the overall exterior design isn't bothering me I liked the IS anyway I like the rear better now and the lights still deciding if I like those more or the triple lights which I do like a lot. Glad we have a bigger nav it is much needed. I can't say I disapprove of the look of the IS and glad we are aggressive but this should probably be as aggressive as they get because they are close to the point of alienation current IS and Lexus owners and they need to be careful of that. Any idea how long this mid fresh is going to be? I'm sure it depends on sales somewhat but another 2-3 years with this?

RAL

Reactions
I agree to some extent the overall exterior design isn't bothering me I liked the IS anyway I like the rear better now and the lights still deciding if I like those more or the triple lights which I do like a lot. Glad we have a bigger nav it is much needed. I can't say I disapprove of the look of the IS and glad we are aggressive but this should probably be as aggressive as they get because they are close to the point of alienation current IS and Lexus owners and they need to be careful of that. Any idea how long this mid fresh is going to be? I'm sure it depends on sales somewhat but another 2-3 years with this?

We have members who are far more knowledgeable than I, but I would say probably at least 3 years. I am not certain about the first generation's run, model years 1998/99-2005? However, I believe the 2nd generation's run was model years 2006-2012.

Last edited:
Reactions
Still, the best looking Lexus car so far, and my favorite in its class.
The LCD is finally getting the right size.
The update of rear lights are quite nice.
However, the new headlights are not for me. The single lens base type is just so last century. And, the upgrade version is a little too busy, not so good looking as GS (F) or SUVs. I still like the front look of pre-facelift, especially the F-Sport.
Surprised by that they didn't upgrade the materials toughed by the driver often inside.

Last edited:

Andyl

Founding Member
Reactions
We have members who are far more knowledgeable than I, but I would say probably at least 3 years. I am not certain about the first generation's run, model years 1998/99-2005? However, I believe the 2nd generation's run was model years 2006-2012.
The duration for 1st gen (also as a Toyota Altezza) is correct as MY06 was the first year of the 2nd generation IS. The last year model of 2nd gen was MY13. The 3rd gen IS was available sometime in 2013 as a MY14.

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
Guys, remember this is only a mid-cycle refresh! I really like the spindle design in the rear of the F Sport! The headlights look uglier without the triple-LEDs

Last edited:

isanatori

Follower
Reactions
Powertrain:
A little disappointed but not surprised they are carry over. :confused: Lexus is still very conservative in this area. Was hoping the recent trademarked NX 300 moniker was a sign of a new "3L V6" to be possibly introduced with the '17 "IS 300" but now my hopes are down also for the NX. Instead, it may likely remain the thirsty detuned 3.5L V6. We'll see.
Lexus had already introduced the IS300 AWD, so it was obvious to everyone what the 300 moniker would stand for. Also, the manufacturer of the LFA dislikes turbo engines, so maybe they use a detuned 2GR-FSE instead of the more expensive 2GR-FKS, because they want IS300 to compete with IS200t. Also it is known that big things on Lexus come with hybrids. LC500h will be the next big thing (50hp battery source + naturally aspirated 3.5L V6) and after that the hydrogen hybrid car.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Recall the LF-CC's front fascia ...
and for comparison ...
View attachment 1480

i really like new lights when they are on... they look good. Overall design is more coherent now.

Old one were good for LED but only ok for standard lights, in any case nothing special anymore. Rear lights are nice.

Interior changes - more leather, i like it. Obviously 10.3" screen is nice and it should have nice graphics with better resolution like RX.

It is not a huge update but IS looked good as it is. I expected 3.5l to get new revision but i guess not... 2.0t is new anyway.

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
They wanted the GS to be superior to the IS in every way, so of course they didn't upgrade the engine. And what difference does 5 horsepower make anyway?

Black Dynamite

Follower
Reactions
I like the refresh. Very tastefully done. Should continue to do its job, attracting a younger, more sporting buyer to the Lexus brand.
That said the strengths of the Lexus two-car approach in the entry-level luxury class underline a weakness of the approach as well.

Lexus, for some reason, has not bothered to create an M3 competitor in this generation. And the new C-Class has raised the bar for interior luxury, making this interior seem cut-rate, in comparison. This is a fine sports sedan next to the 340i, but it is clearly a step down to a C450 AMG, which is $50-60k, or the M3/S63. Lexus needs to get the next IS, in 2018, to that level. The next 3-series will lose weight, and hopefully this IS will too, as one of the heaviest cars in this class.

In luxury, power and weight/efficiency, the IS has been left behind by the C-Class and 3-series. This may explain the drop in sales for the IS, even after the new engines came out last fall. Hopefully, lexus is paying attention to the competition, and is working on a strong follow-up to this solid sports sedan.
BD

mikeavelli

Reactions
I haven't read all the comments yet but from what I've seen not a fan of the front end, it looks like it has 600hp and it doesn't.

I do like the new 10" screen and the rear exhaust that more closely resembles other Lexus models.

Also really odd release....we have been struggling to get pics and info.

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
I like the refresh. Very tastefully done. Should continue to do its job, attracting a younger, more sporting buyer to the Lexus brand.
That said the strengths of the Lexus two-car approach in the entry-level luxury class underline a weakness of the approach as well.

Lexus, for some reason, has not bothered to create an M3 competitor in this generation. And the new C-Class has raised the bar for interior luxury, making this interior seem cut-rate, in comparison. This is a fine sports sedan next to the 340i, but it is clearly a step down to a C450 AMG, which is $50-60k, or the M3/S63. Lexus needs to get the next IS, in 2018, to that level. The next 3-series will lose weight, and hopefully this IS will too, as one of the heaviest cars in this class.

In luxury, power and weight/efficiency, the IS has been left behind by the C-Class and 3-series. This may explain the drop in sales for the IS, even after the new engines came out last fall. Hopefully, lexus is paying attention to the competition, and is working on a strong follow-up to this solid sports sedan.
BD
The C450 AMG is now called the C43 by the way. And, did you mean M3/C63? You said S63. I remember the days when the 1st gen IS F was lighter than the C63 and M3.