Updated Lexus IS Debuts at Beijing Auto Show

Faisal Sheikh

Admirer
Reactions
389hp IS F wouldn't be any match for the M3 or C63, and from what I heard, a V8 won't fit in that engine bay anyways. Hell, they'd need to be up over the original 416hp at least.

I don't think we'll have another IS F until the fourth generation car with all new powertrains, probably packing something like a TT V6 under the hood.

I don't think that is true. The 3IS is longer than the 2IS. The 2IS was able to fit the 2GR-USE V8 engine. I cannot see why it cannot fit in the 3IS, which has a bigger engine bay and a longer wheelbase. ISF could be identical to RCF mechanically, but the chassis could be based on just the 3IS platform rather than the dedicated "frankenstein" chassis of the RCF. I am sure, it will handle well enough.

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
Could they use the old 4.6L in the ISF and LS? Probably unlikely but your probably right we would have the trademark of the engine...could they detune the 5.0 to make it different from GSF and RCF?
I would expect the RC F and IS F to have the same powertrain. And doesn't the 4.6L V8 in the LS only make 383hp? That's less than the last gen, IS F. And These days cars in the segment have sub 4-second 0-60 times, so 383hp is definitely not enough for the IS F, and even the old IS F engine.

Reactions
As much as I want an next-gen IS F, I actually don't want it to come out because it wouldn't be too different from the RC F or GS F in performance and spec. Lexus doesn't need to flood it's line up with 2UR-GSE variants all over the place. 3 cars using that engine is enough. I personally think the LC shouldn't use the motor, but I get it. I'm okay with the GS F being low on power, because I love that chassis, but it's time to step up the total package and silence all the haters once and for all. [Seriously, if you look at what Cadillac, hell, Chevy, and especially Ford are doing with their performance cars, to compete for buyers, it's insane. The Camaro SS pulls the same performance numbers as the M4 and costs a lot less. The Mustang GT 350R is REDICULOUSLY amazing for the money.]

Requirements for the 2nd Gen IS F: (A.K.A. Lexus has no business building a new IS F unless it intends to do the following)

1.) Must outperform the M3 and C63 in all comparisons.
2.) GA-L platform with hallmark Lexus Reliability.
3.) Must outperform the M3 and C63 in all comparisons.
4.) 5.0 L NA V8 or 4.0-4.5 L TT V8 that makes 500+ HP. (Sorry I just do not like V6's in a performance car of any sort, I don't care how many blowers you put on a V6, it's still missing 2 cylinders in the end of the day.)
5.) Must outperform the M3 and C63 in all comparisons.
6.) Use lots of Carbon Fiber and other lightweight materials in the production versions. Hood, driveshaft, wheels, brakes, roof, rear diffuser.
7.) Must outperform the M3 and C63 in all comparisons.
8.) Give us a DUAL-CLUTCH GEARBOX for the F MODELS, unless the 10-speed is proven to be better.
9.) Must outperform the M3 and C63 in all comparisons.

I am tired of seeing the Lexus F cars get slandered and degraded in the media. The only negative thing I want to hear from critics of the next generation IS F, is that it's ugly. We've all come to expect that one because haters need to have something negative to say.

James

Founding Member
Reactions
As much as I want an next-gen IS F, I actually don't want it to come out because it wouldn't be too different from the RC F or GS F in performance and spec. Lexus doesn't need to flood it's line up with 2UR-GSE variants all over the place. 3 cars using that engine is enough. I personally think the LC shouldn't use the motor, but I get it. I'm okay with the GS F being low on power, because I love that chassis, but it's time to step up the total package and silence all the haters once and for all. [Seriously, if you look at what Cadillac, hell, Chevy, and especially Ford are doing with their performance cars, to compete for buyers, it's insane. The Camaro SS pulls the same performance numbers as the M4 and costs a lot less. The Mustang GT 350R is REDICULOUSLY amazing for the money.]

Requirements for the 2nd Gen IS F: (A.K.A. Lexus has no business building a new IS F unless it intends to do the following)

1.) Must outperform the M3 and C63 in all comparisons.
2.) GA-L platform with hallmark Lexus Reliability.
3.) Must outperform the M3 and C63 in all comparisons.
4.) 5.0 L NA V8 or 4.0-4.5 L TT V8 that makes 500+ HP. (Sorry I just do not like V6's in a performance car of any sort, I don't care how many blowers you put on a V6, it's still missing 2 cylinders in the end of the day.)
5.) Must outperform the M3 and C63 in all comparisons.
6.) Use lots of Carbon Fiber and other lightweight materials in the production versions. Hood, driveshaft, wheels, brakes, roof, rear diffuser.
7.) Must outperform the M3 and C63 in all comparisons.
8.) Give us a DUAL-CLUTCH GEARBOX for the F MODELS, unless the 10-speed is proven to be better.
9.) Must outperform the M3 and C63 in all comparisons.

I am tired of seeing the Lexus F cars get slandered and degraded in the media. The only negative thing I want to hear from critics of the next generation IS F, is that it's ugly. We've all come to expect that one because haters need to have something negative to say.
What were requirements 1,3,5,7,9? Lol

Tinhinnh

Follower
Reactions
First they need to fix the weight issue in the RC (wont be easy) or give it more power in the RCF (current owners will be p****d)

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I don't think that is true. The 3IS is longer than the 2IS. The 2IS was able to fit the 2GR-USE V8 engine. I cannot see why it cannot fit in the 3IS, which has a bigger engine bay and a longer wheelbase. ISF could be identical to RCF mechanically, but the chassis could be based on just the 3IS platform rather than the dedicated "frankenstein" chassis of the RCF. I am sure, it will handle well enough.

While I agree with your thinking in theory - especially with the commonalities with the RC/RC F - from what I have heard, the 3IS was not engineered to accommodate a V8 from the very beginning.

Consider that the front end of the RC was lifted from the GS - which can accommodate a V8 - and not the IS, which allegedly cannot. I think that is pretty telling.

Wicus Kriel

Premium Member
Reactions
The pity for us in South Africa is that no F models (neither RC F nor GS F) are for sale in our market. Since the previous IS F was sold here, there is some faint hope that a new IS F would make its way onto our dealership floors. That said, as much as I'm hoping for an IS F, it probably wouldn't make sense for Lexus to add it to the current line-up due to fear of revenue cannibalisation.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
No one thought about it, but could there be a new generation ISF on the horizon? I really hope a 2nd gen ISF is revealed.

Maybe it is the ISF...

Really though, I believe the GS F and RC F fill 90% of the market that an IS F would occupy -- either you want a high-performance coupe or a sedan. The IS F straddled that line with the small back seat.

Beyond that, there's no way Lexus would announce an IS F in China. It would be an incredibly bad fit for that region.

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
Really though, I believe the GS F and RC F fill 90% of the market that an IS F would occupy -- either you want a high-performance coupe or a sedan. The IS F straddled that line with the small back seat.

Beyond that, there's no way Lexus would announce an IS F in China. It would be an incredibly bad fit for that region.
But M3 and M4?

James

Founding Member
Reactions

Krew I'm sure you are right it's more just wishful thinking and that the an ISF would be 20-30k cheaper than a GSF and I don't like coupes as much just like 4 doors more!

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
I don't know if this is because of the image lighting, but the car seems to be an F or F Sport since the grille doesn't seem to have the horizontal lines like on other non-F Sport models. It looks dark, telling me that it has the Spindle Design on it, meaning it is probably either an F or F Sport model used in the teaser image.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
Krew I'm sure you are right it's more just wishful thinking and that the an ISF would be 20-30k cheaper than a GSF and I don't like coupes as much just like 4 doors more!

Fair enough! I personally think there's a market for the IS F, I just don't think Lexus sees the value.

But M3 and M4?

It's impossible to compare the strategy BMW is taking with their M division and compare it to the Lexus F line. There's an M version of most BMWs, and Lexus only has two across the whole lineup. Different scales, different expectations.

James

Founding Member
Reactions
Any idea when the news will break tmr? I'm in the Central US time zone and could not find online when Lexus will come out with the updated IS in China.

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
I was thinking about the taillights when I thought it would be cool if there were Altezza(1st gen IS) lights like in the GS that looks cool, but doesn't look like an aftermarket upgrade to the stock headlights. The GS taillights look really sporty but don't look like it was purchased from Ebay (Probably because of the Black Accents in it).
2016-lexus-gs-f-rear-taillight.jpg
But I have to admit Lexus should have stuck with the taillights of the old GS for the new one, and only put the Altezzas on the GS F. Altezza lights on a new IS F would be cool looking while paying homage to the original IS 300.
Toyota_Altezza_001.jpg

Reactions: Den

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
Any idea when the news will break tmr? I'm in the Central US time zone and could not find online when Lexus will come out with the updated IS in China.

The reveal happens tonight at 10:45pm ET -- some early photos have leaked today from Chinese website XCAR:

20160422121358997719571375943.jpg 20160422121400190552525204294.jpg 20160422121403018891153058251.jpg

If it had happened before today, I would have wrote a front page story, but with only a couple hours before the reveal it's better to just wait for the official images.

Reactions: Den

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
The reveal happens tonight at 10:45pm ET -- some early photos have leaked today from Chinese website XCAR:

View attachment 1472 View attachment 1473 View attachment 1474

If it had happened before today, I would have wrote a front page story, but with only a couple hours before the reveal it's better to just wait for the official images.
drool...
47598f1b44cc4f6890329733939d4f97.png
already
The taillights appear to be the same shape, and the show car is an F Sport because it has a Spindle Grille design, but double exhausts and not quad, so it's not an IS F (yet). Wheels in my eyes don't seem to be any bigger. Aggressive bumper vents with spindle grille, a feature that has only been on the GS F and RC F... The side skirts are identical to those on the current IS F Sport. The rear fenders seem to be pretty darn wide in image 2 as the cloth is bulging out. And, is that an RX in the background of image 2? Why is it as short as the IS though? Is it a next-gen CT?