Updated Lexus IS Debuts at Beijing Auto Show

Hemi

Premium Member
Reactions
Mid cycle facelift I think
I would say so, it is way too soon for a new generation. I would say that IS actually does not need any facelift. Its design still looks modern and updated. Except the navigation system update and one thing I cant stand is the small screen. You can definitelly fit a bigger one in there so I just dont get it Lexus.

James

Founding Member
Reactions
I would say so, it is way too soon for a new generation. I would say that IS actually does not need any facelift. Its design still looks modern and updated. Except the navigation system update and one thing I cant stand is the small screen. You can definitelly fit a bigger one in there so I just dont get it Lexus.
I agree the IS still does look really good but a new nav and triple lights would help a lot!

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Hoping for a significant interior refresh - reshaped dash without the "hump," larger screen, more premium materials, maybe new trim options.

I assume the 350 will get the same V6 as the new GS 350 - 311hp.

James

Founding Member
Reactions
This might be wishful thinking any chance they bring the F with it...I mean the GSF came out later than the GS didn't it?

Hemi

Premium Member
Reactions
I agree the IS still does look really good but a new nav and triple lights would help a lot!
I would also add another motorization. Lexus as a hybrid pioneer could have more powerful hybrid powertrain for IS.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Not surprising to see triple headlights appearing in facelifted IS as its competitors also have more exquisite, uniquely shaped premium headlights available. And to make triple LED headlights the standard across various Lexus vehicles, it also can reduce some cost due to use of common components and it increases visibility on the road. .

it is not going to be cheaper as they are unique to each car, but sure it looks nicer... so far so good.

As to increasing visibility, "old" IS LEDs are better than new C class and A4 lights as tested by IIHS few weeks ago. So the shape does not mean it will light up better.

Tinhinnh

Follower
Reactions
it def needs a facelift. a lot of people dont like the weird headlights.

OlFius

Founding Member
Reactions
If there is any changes in interior --- I would think the following makes sense as it has an improved premium feel, cost reduction by using common elements, etc.

1. Change the front overhead to LED with touch sensing, just like what is available in NX, new RX, ES, etc
2. Remote Touch controller is replaced with a remote pad. The positions of cupholders, remote pad and the drive selector will be like what are in RC/RC-F.[/QUOTE]

And my addition (also missing in the RC):
3. An electronic break, done with the pedal.
4. A HOLD function: slightly harder pressing the brakes to switch to a "hold" state (can I finally give my right foot a little rest).

Rob Grieveson

Follower
Reactions
Do not know if it is possible in a midlife update but the cockpit is cramped by the large centre tunnel hopefully Lexus are aware and will reduce the size to give more space.

Bulldog 1

Follower
Reactions
This is going to be tough. No Matador Red Mica. No normally aspirated base engine. What's a five time IS owner to do? :p

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Plus any changes made to the IS interior would be applicable to the RC interior -- it would make sense to invest in an upgraded cabin.

Good point! RC needs many of the same changes too, as their cabins are pretty similar.

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
I'm surprised no one mentioned any resemblance to the GS. If I wasn't told this was an IS teaser image, I would have said it was a GS without giving it a second thought. Anyways, it still looks very nice, and I'm happy that the front end looks nicer. Not because of the spindle grille unlike other peoples opinions, but I didn't really like the IS headlights because they looked like the old IS with an unnecessary space between the LEDs and actual headlights. I preferred the older IS headlights (with the LED). I loved the sporty taillights, but I didn't really like the black thingy the exhausts are on (is that what they call the diffuser?). I like the exhaust thingy on the new C-Class since it looks more luxurious or sporty and is silver. Speaking of silver, some more chrome trim would be nice since I know that a lot of people prefer the C-Class to the IS because it looks grander (I mean, it's literally a downsized S-Class!) and the IS looks a little too sporty for older customers, even without F Sport. Also, I'm surprised no one brought up their desire for an F model! IMO, and IS F would be a no-brainer for Lexus, with the RC and the GS having full F models. The only problem might be that Lexus may have to create a better engine for the GS F before, or the IS F would outsell the GS F by too much since it would be faster, and cheaper. But seeing so many F Sports out there, Lexus needs to introduce an IS F after the IS is brought to dealerships. I also think the interior needs a refresh.Lexus may have to create a better engine for the GS F before, or the IS F would outsell the GS F by too much since it would be faster, and cheaper. But seeing so many F Sports out there, Lexus needs to introduce an IS F after the IS is brought to dealerships. I also think the interior needs a refresh. People are saying this is a mid-cycle refresh, but the teaser image doesn't look anything like the current model, but it is still possible that it’s only the front end that has been modified, like the upcoming MKZ mid-cycle refresh. And when they are referring to the IS as a mid-size sedan, I guess they mean the segment that the CT is in and HS used to be in is the “small” segment. In North America, that segment is called the “Entry-Level Luxury Vehicles” segment while the IS is in the “Compact Luxury Cars segment.” segment. If the IS is going to be another mid-sized luxury sedan, it would make zero sense since there would be three cars in the same segment. Oh, and also a Sportcross(model name of the first generation IS wagon) model would be awesome...wait, but there won’t even be a point trying to sell it in North America. Even if most of my wishes don’t come true, I’m still excited for the new IS!

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
I was thinking about IS 300h for USA too, but with sedan AND hybrid sales being down here, I wonder if Lexus would see the business case for it...

i would guess the main problem is cost of gas... but who knows, why not. By all accounts seems like a good option, with D4S it is better powertrain than in NX300h or ES300h.

corradoMR2

Founding Member
Reactions
Very promising! Hopefully the interior gets some needed upgrades like what was done to the '16 ES. :)

Interesting - what appears to be a mini-mesh grill beside the headlight, when you brighten up the pic!

upload_2016-4-19_18-58-31.png