Updated Lexus IS Debuts at Beijing Auto Show

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
That site is only indicative of course, but I've found it to be mostly accurate in the past. It was accurate for the IS refresh that we just witnessed on Monday :) I don't see an LS reference in 2019 in the screenshot. Is there one on the site now?
Sorry, I was referring to the LS at first, the source said the new LS will be for the 2017 year, but someone said in an interview that we will have to wait another two years for it, and then I was talking about the IS afterward. So this is the refresh, and 2019 is when the redesigned IS model will release according to your source.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
From a US sales standpoint, I'm not convinced this refresh alone will move the needle.

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
One clearly expected that a facelift would be introduced for 2017 model year, despite how some sources claimed MY2018. I have to wonder when they managed to do this, but can only guess it was all done for by early last year.

Lexus product planners are more focused for once on moving to the modular GA-L architecture, that they probably have been working on a new IS (XE40) since last summer.

I guess they'll know what the next IS looks like by the summer of 2017, whether it's a product of Calty, ED2 France, Tokyo, or HQ Toyota Technical Centre Aichi.

I have learned that the next LS design was a product of Toyota's Tokyo design centre, not so much Calty, so one can observe what that means.

hmmm ... so this is the refreshed IS ...

I accept the fact the spindle grille is polarizing. It definitely took a while for it to grow on me. And who can argue with the sales numbers. We have friends who either really love it on our NX ... or friends who are just politely quiet. But, a couple days ago a good friend said he wanted a new car. I encouraged him to consider Lexus especially since he has ridden in all of ours over the years and complimented them (he is not one to offer compliments ... ever!). He can be painfully candid though! ... he responded to my suggestion with the following: "I gotta tell ya ... Lexus have become ****-ugly!" ... At that moment I reminded myself ... wisdom is silent more than she isn't.

So what's my point to sharing this little blurb? ... I think it is time for the design pendulum to begin to swing back toward L-Finesse. I thought we were seeing the beginning of this trend in the LC and the LF-FC. But now I am perplexed. I don't understand why the designers have pushed the envelope even farther with this IS front fascia refresh since the design was already sufficiently pleasing to those looking for the aggressive stance. Other brands have proven that an aggressive stance can be even more forcefully achieved with a healthy blend of simplicity and refinement. To me this is the key to the universal appeal of the LC. With all due respect to Lexus Designers, follow your heartbeat when you created the LC.

I look forward to the Denny Clements interview since he was in charge at the inception of L-Finesse.

The LC does not entirely have universal appeal, as much as one wish it did. There are plenty of critics, including many of them that didn't like the LF-LC Concept either (for stupid, unfair reasons in my opinion).

The XE30 (3IS) facelift decision making had to have been established little over a year ago for engineering deadlines, so you do have a point in regards to the LC and LS (LF-FC) being more graceful.

I believe we need to remember that this is an entry level offering, while those are flagship/ultraluxury offerings (5LS V8 will ascend). Aggressive, sportier design would be expected for a RWD sports saloon targeted towards young people.

I agree to some extent the overall exterior design isn't bothering me I liked the IS anyway I like the rear better now and the lights still deciding if I like those more or the triple lights which I do like a lot. Glad we have a bigger nav it is much needed. I can't say I disapprove of the look of the IS and glad we are aggressive but this should probably be as aggressive as they get because they are close to the point of alienation current IS and Lexus owners and they need to be careful of that. Any idea how long this mid fresh is going to be? I'm sure it depends on sales somewhat but another 2-3 years with this?

I believe it's a 3 year run through Q4 2019 or Q1 2020 for the 2020 model year. A 4 year run for a facelift usually isn't sensible against a shorter initial run (3 years), without another update in between.

Toyota seems like they might be in a rush to move to the GA-L architecture ASAP. Usually a model is paid for by 2/3 of its life-cycle, which itself parallels formal approval of a successor.

We have members who are far more knowledgeable than I, but I would say probably at least 3 years. I am not certain about the first generation's run, model years 1998/99-2005? However, I believe the 2nd generation's run was model years 2006-2012.

I believe new IS for the 2020 model year is a given, since a new modular architecture is highly involved and then "New N" needs to be phased out sooner, than later.

At the same I wouldn't put it past Toyota, to try stretch out its life-cycle for higher ROI out of pure greed to late 2020 or 2021. The lack of new top tier engines, is that the LS programme is taking too long and they are waiting for that.

Regarding the life-cycles, you are correct. The IS200 was introduced in the first quarter of 1999 (March '99), following introduction of the Altezza in October 1998.

These are photos in 1996 of a master model (prototype) provided by a Tokyo law firm of the XE10 (aka 1IS), some months after Toyota signed off on the design in late 1995 and final design freeze.

1996 1IS/Altezza 1:1 Styling Prototype
JPS4001030135_000005.jpg

JPS4001030135_000006.jpg
Everyone thinks "Altezza" lights date back to 1998-99, but Toyota already was at this point in 1995. This car was always meant to be a Lexus, but needed some finessing (as seen with IS300).

These were meant to somewhat echo that of the A80 Supra MKIV taillights, which were from 1990.

The IS300 was already underway by 1997, arriving in June 2000. A minor refresh arrived for MY2004, because of 2IS formal approval in late 2003. Its life-cycle was all over the place.

The XE20 aka 2IS ran from September 2005 to August 2008, then was facelifted for MY2009, and facelifted again in August 2010, timed with formal approval of the 3IS.

It was 6 1/2 to 7 years for the XE10 and 7 1/2 years for the XE20 sedan, which the platform is still in production even.

Attachments

• JPS4001030135_000007.jpg
    JPS4001030135_000007.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 1

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
Recall the LF-CC's front fascia ...
View attachment 1481
and for comparison ...
View attachment 1480

This isn't surpising, because as seen with the GS facelift and 2011 LF-Gh, this is usually the reality. The facelift assignment basically becomes a do-over to become more related to the show-stopping concept that was used to tease the public.

The original 4GS was never "toned down" like some people claim, as the designer's task in 2007-08 was to create a production design proposal, not some out-there concept like the LF-LC' case. Why this fact continues to fly over our heads, I don't know really.

The LF-CC was meant to hint at an incoming Lexus coupe, taking bits of the RC's front design and chopping the two rear doors from the XE30 IS.

The ideation sketches from 2009-2010 for the XE30 IS are so identical to 2012 LF-CC sketches it's ridiculous.

I think we will see this with the NX facelift next year, in that it becomes more aligned with the LF-NX Concept of 2013.

i really like new lights when they are on... they look good. Overall design is more coherent now.

Old one were good for LED but only ok for standard lights, in any case nothing special anymore. Rear lights are nice.

Interior changes - more leather, i like it. Obviously 10.3" screen is nice and it should have nice graphics with better resolution like RX.

It is not a huge update but IS looked good as it is. I expected 3.5l to get new revision but i guess not... 2.0t is new anyway.

It sounds to me as they are waiting for the 2018 LS to introduce new 6-cylinder power plants. If that car is delayed due to recent earthquakes, it just makes things worse for the Toyota Motor Corporation overall.

Toyota used to improve engines much more in the past, than they have been doing now. The UZ V8 was updated quite competitively compared to the UR.

I like the refresh. Very tastefully done. Should continue to do its job, attracting a younger, more sporting buyer to the Lexus brand.
That said the strengths of the Lexus two-car approach in the entry-level luxury class underline a weakness of the approach as well.

Lexus, for some reason, has not bothered to create an M3 competitor in this generation. And the new C-Class has raised the bar for interior luxury, making this interior seem cut-rate, in comparison. This is a fine sports sedan next to the 340i, but it is clearly a step down to a C450 AMG, which is $50-60k, or the M3/S63. Lexus needs to get the next IS, in 2018, to that level. The next 3-series will lose weight, and hopefully this IS will too, as one of the heaviest cars in this class.

In luxury, power and weight/efficiency, the IS has been left behind by the C-Class and 3-series. This may explain the drop in sales for the IS, even after the new engines came out last fall. Hopefully, lexus is paying attention to the competition, and is working on a strong follow-up to this solid sports sedan.
BD

The next IS is not coming any sooner than August 2019, so 2018 not in the question. That year will likely be a new GS, which should be released (to my pref.) in December 2018 for proper ROI from an 84-month 4GS life cycle.

Thanks for the clarification. :)

MY2001 is the first year for 1st gen IS300 sold in North America and it debuted in early summer of 2000. IS200 was also sold since 1998 in Europe, Australia, etc. Basically that was a rebadged Altezza.

When IS300 was introduced to North America, Lexus has improved some minor details in the interior to make it more a Lexus than a Toyota. In fact, they continued to add some plastic coverings for the bottom of the seat in the 2nd year of North American 1st gen IS300. And they added HID to IS300 as well.

Best info is here: :p
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lexus_IS#1998.E2.80.932000

Yes, I contribute greatly to that Wikipedia page (and more) when I can, along with another individual from Australia. I have gotten lazy though (compared to my uni days), due to pressing matters like work and personal business.

Please take things with a grain of salt though, as there are plenty of vandals making spurious edits that go unnoticed.

As for the IS, it was intended to be a BMW E36 competitor in many ways, thus a Lexus. Development started in early 1994, with styling approval in late 1995 after an 18-month design process.

The IS300 trademark was first filed in 1997, with the Lexus-badged IS200 going into production in January 1999, for March release in Europe. Very excellent write-up BTW.

According to the attachment from the following site, the new IS may be announced in 2018 as a 2019 model: http://www.autonews.com/section/fproductguide

Automotive News is credible, but not always credible. They fall victim to the very thing that I do, change in product plans or conflicting rumours, that are sometimes deliberate or borne out of ignorance.

Please also understand that there is a difference in model year and production year. People tend to mix these up, screwing up the timeline.

I could say the "LC500 is coming out 2018", but one wouldn't know what to concretely make of that statement since it's laden with poor grammar and vague in some ways.

The truth of that would be is, pilot production starts in June 2016, series production in December, and market launch in March 2017 for the 2018 model year. Quite earlier than 2018 in fact.

Japanese magazines pointed towards November 2016 for a new SC/LC for 3 years now and always referred to the 950A programme. See how close they are?

The next IS aka XE40 or 4IS will arrive no sooner than August 2019 and no later than Q1 2021.

The LS will be coming in two years, and 2019 is when a complete redesign is coming according to your reference.

Not particularly true in the least, where did you garner that from? If it is not based on recent developments and decision making in the last 4 weeks, I am not convinced.

Unless Lexus wants be pulling an Infiniti and leaving it to rot out on the vine. Keeping the car unchanged for 6-7 years is laughable.

The current LS was last updated in September 2012 and has received no changes like was seen between the MY2007-09 and MY2010-12. It was introduced in 2006.

If Lexus pulls out an updated LS for MY2017, I won't be amused, but at least they are doing something in the interim. The real problem here is that some people hear a numerical year and think it refers to January-December.

Mark Templin was misquoted in an interview recently, where the lazy writer put down 2018 as the launch year. He likely meant MY instead.

Japanese publications only care about launch year, they could give a bloody damn about model years that Americans use.

May 2017 is likely a start of production date. May 1989 was that for the MY1990 LS400, which arrived in September 1989. Lead time has since shortened, that it could mean July-August 2017 for MY2018.

The LS430 to be honest entered production in July/August 2000, the LS460 in July-August 2006. Auto News has pointed towards a Summer 2017 launch for the past 2 years and have never changed their stance.

Even in the face of stupid rumours regarding Tokyo 2015, which I summarily dismissed as being a concept.

I really do not know where people are getting 2018-2019 from for the 5LS. It is coming next year, that I can bet you will see prototypes in the next few months for U.S. hot weather or high altitude testing.

Only the recent earthquake could have set them back. The last thing they need to be doing is clustering redesigns of the LS, GS, ES and IS with UX, GX. Get it done for no later than Jan. 2018 sales launch. A 12-year life cycle is pitiful, when even the NX has more tech than the LS already.

I'm confident we'll have a new LS next year.

If we don't, I'm jumping ship for Acura.

DON'T MAKE ME DO IT, LEXUS!

I know I am not the best source, but I would dismiss such rumours and brush up on your Japanese. There is so much information in the form of spy shots, corresponding literature, and forum traffic we are missing from Japan.

I do find it weird how the LC was caught 16 months before production starts last summer, yet if the LS starts production around May 2017, all we have seen was a mule 11 months ago and nothing else. It is being cleverly hidden, we have missed something, or truly delayed.

I learned recently that back in March 2012, when all of us were pretty much expecting a standard redesign for MY2014, the MY2013 LS facelift was not only teased officially at Geneva, but also leaked in the form of these spy shots of an RHD prototype in Japan.
LS 2012.png
untitled.png
untitled2.png
US spy shots didn't surface until May-June 2012.

The new 12.3 inch screen and interior were leaked, without any of us knowing until its debut 4 months later in late July 2012 about such changes.

The 4RX design was pretty much given away by a Japanese magazine in April 2014, yet none of us (non-insiders) had a clue until January 2015 what it looked like.
6fyAwew.jpg

Look at this early shot of the LC.
untitled21.png
Start ignoring "Western media" (lol) in regards to Lexus Future product and turn your focus to Japanese news. The C&Ds, Motor Trend, and Auto Blog seem that they couldn't care less, if it's not about an M, RS, or AMG. So many tidbits are missed by them or reported belatedly.

Even Australia is better and just as credible. Auto Express leaked the MY2007 LS in its entirety back in September 2005, even before the LF-Sh was shown!

If it doesn't have Alain Uyetthoven behind it from Europe, I wouldn't bother listening. I figure he's been reined in by HQ lately, as he used to be such a blabbermouth regarding future product.

Some sources reported that, the ALL-NEW LS will be launched in May 2017 ....

It will be 2018 or 2019 model year ...

Summer 2017 has been quoted for quite awhile now, especially by Automotive News. It was really not so reputable American and lower tier European sources that kept throwing out random dates, such as Tokyo 2015 debut or in 2016.

That never really was the case. The May 2015 mule spy shots and consistent Japanese sources, have confirmed May 2017 for me solidly. Only recent decision-making could result in a delayed car.

It may seem inappropriate to talk about that in the IS facelift thread, but 5LS is partly responsible for the fact the IS uses the same engine it had 11 years ago. They are waiting to debut a new 3.0 litre unit in the flagship.

2019 model year is not applicable, unless it had been delayed again.

Sorry, I was referring to the LS at first, the source said the new LS will be for the 2017 year, but someone said in an interview that we will have to wait another two years for it, and then I was talking about the IS afterward. So this is the refresh, and 2019 is when the redesigned IS model will release according to your source.

Based on what interview? The only interview that dared to claim anything past December 2017 for the world market was the lazy writings of an indifferent individual, who took her source's statements out of context.

Some of us in the industry will refer to model years in a manner that can be miscontrued to the receiving party as an actual date. Templin was likely referring to the 2018 model year, not a release in 2018. We'll see anyway and if I'm wrong, I'm wrong.

At this point, I just feel it was a bad idea to save the new TTV6 for the LS and not updated versions of the GS and IS.

The RC facelift comes next year too, so maybe that could mean a cabriolet.

Last edited:

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Yeah personally not really a fan of the update. I feel like the 3IS exterior didn't need an update as it looks radical enough. The interior could have used more of an update.

What's also mind boggling to me is Lexus announcing this, and STILL nothing regarding the next LS. How about a press release Lexus? Maybe some hints at a debut at the end of the year, or early next year? At this point this is beating a dead horse, but it is beyond sad just how long we have been waiting for the next LS. I truly hope that it has not been further delayed. Even if it has, Lexus, debut the car on schedule anyways. With each passing day, expectations and pressure only keeps increasing.

It's quite clear Lexus has kept secrecy extremely tight around the new LS, but the lack of any news is way past sad, and just downright depressing at this point for Lexus enthusiasts.

Hemi

Premium Member
Reactions
I'm confident we'll have a new LS next year.

If we don't, I'm jumping ship for Acura.

DON'T MAKE ME DO IT, LEXUS!
Why do you want to switch to Acura? What I have seen so far from Acura, their system and quality cannot compare to the Lexus, Bmw, Mercedes and Audi yet. Except the reliability though.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Why do you want to switch to Acura? What I have seen so far from Acura, their system and quality cannot compare to the Lexus, Bmw, Mercedes and Audi yet. Except the reliability though.

It was a joke :D

mikeavelli

Reactions
Sadly their reliability is now worse than the Germans :(

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
Based on what interview? The only interview that dared to claim anything past December 2017 for the world market was the lazy writings of an indifferent individual, who took her source's statements out of context.

Some of us in the industry will refer to model years in a manner that can be miscontrued to the receiving party as an actual date. Templin was likely referring to the 2018 model year, not a release in 2018. We'll see anyway and if I'm wrong, I'm wrong.

I'm not sure who was being interviewed, but I remember it being here on LE as well and the guy said that we will have to wait at least two more years for a new LS as Lexus is developing the LS to be groundbreaking in comparison to other cars in its segment. @krew maybe you can recall? It might have even been you who did the interview. I remember people whining in the comments about how they can't wait for ANOTHER two years.

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
Yeah personally not really a fan of the update. I feel like the 3IS exterior didn't need an update as it looks radical enough. The interior could have used more of an update.

What's also mind boggling to me is Lexus announcing this, and STILL nothing regarding the next LS. How about a press release Lexus? Maybe some hints at a debut at the end of the year, or early next year? At this point this is beating a dead horse, but it is beyond sad just how long we have been waiting for the next LS. I truly hope that it has not been further delayed. Even if it has, Lexus, debut the car on schedule anyways. With each passing day, expectations and pressure only keeps increasing.

It's quite clear Lexus has kept secrecy extremely tight around the new LS, but the lack of any news is way past sad, and just downright depressing at this point for Lexus enthusiasts.

I know we had talked about this very long ago, on another website. At this point, I really have no choice but to believe, that this car barely entered development around 2012-13.

I would not believe that Toyota spent 8-9 years on this from 2008-09.

Back in the fall of 2009, they introduced the moderate and regressive MY2010 facelift of cost-cutting proportions. Soon after, MB took the lead in U.S. flagship sales with their W221 facelift and then BMW with an expanded new 7-Series range.

It has never been the same since, as seen with the decreasing overall brand sales around 2010-11 and S-Class redesign in 2013. The Hyundai Equus possibly stole a few sales away from about 2010.

The 2013-2017 model year LS was the corrective handiwork of Akio Toyoda, likely seeing the disappointment the 2009-2012 LS versions were upon taking charge. He probably saw them in 2008, but had no full control.

Remembering that press release for the 2013 model, it seems that they were referring to the amount of engineering resources put into the updated LS, thus meaning it was possible Toyota's sole focus from 2009-2012. What has chief LS engineer Hideki Watanabe been doing since that ended?

Did the 5LS actually get put into development in 2008, then become consolidated into the updated MY2013 car post-June 2009 by Akio Toyoda is my question?

What muddles this, is that there were U.S. media rumours in October 2010, that the LS would be redesigned in 2014 and have longer than a 6-year life-cycle, plus introduce a new SC successor on the same platform.

Contrary to that, the current Mk.III version had to have been entering critical stages of development in late 2010 to be ready in time for July 2012 introduction and August start of production.

By the spring of 2011 (after LF-GH debut), Japanese reports and renderings were coming that the final design was a Spindle Grille LS. Slowly one eventually understood why.

Just about 8 months later in January 2012, teasers were released of a MY2013 LS prototype in silhouette. That car made its formal debut that July, going on sale by Sept.-Oct.

The amount of efforts poured into it, warranted some good lead time in the form of a 18-24 month sign-off before Summer 2012 production.

That 2013 LS was definitely designed before the March 2011 disasters. Question is still, why did they opt for that again? Economic crisis? 2009-10 recalls? LFA costs? Spreading out product cycles?

Did they wait until 2012 to start the 200B LS programme, hence maybe why some believe are struggling (with just 5 years) on a revolutionary programme and feel they need 6-7 years instead?

The LS400 programme began in early 1984, styling approval in 1986, freeze in May 1987, and then production began in May 1989 for September launch.

The '95 model was in development by 1990, styling approved in late 1991, and out by November 1994.

The LS430 project began in 1995, styling approval by December 1997 and launched by October 2000.

The 250L programme began in 2001, had a design reached in late 2003, frozen in early 2004, and launched in September 2006 for JDM (U.S. in Oct.).

As you can see a pattern of 4 1/2 to 5 years. I am always particular to mention styling/design timelines, because it is very critical to a model programme and ensures other targets can be reached on. I work on the engineering side of that. It is basically the mid-point of development.

One thing is for certain, if they knew what this car looked like back in October 2014, it is no more than 42 months out on any level. The LF-FC is that car, the same way the LF-NX was the NX. Apply the same concepts to how different LF-NX was, then you have the new LS.

I believe both you (CIF) and I just happened upon new spy shots of the 2018 LS, after waiting 10 1/2 years since the last set were first seen in 2005. Mag X has them, as the text gives me such an impression.

Just wait a few days/weeks, or maybe I might just subscribe to Mag X to speed this up

I'm not sure who was being interviewed, but I remember it being here on LE as well and the guy said that we will have to wait at least two more years for a new LS as Lexus is developing the LS to be groundbreaking in comparison to other cars in its segment. @krew maybe you can recall? It might have even been you who did the interview. I remember people whining in the comments about how they can't wait for ANOTHER two years.

It was Mark Templin and the person whining the most was me :rolleyes:. Mark Templin wasn't quoted word-for-word on such a statement. If I may correct my recent comments, that was actually from Wards Auto, not Automotive News. Automotive News still claim "Summer 2017 launch for MY2018", as they have since 2013-14 and are in line with Japanese sources.

The Wards Auto author Christie Schweinsberg just threw in her own theories in taking him out of context, a woman who could give a damn about Lexus products.

People have ran with that, claiming it is due in 2 years by putting words in Templin's mouth, solely based off of her writing piece.

This is what he said in red:

The 3-row ute may face regulatory pressure long-term, being a body-on-frame SUV, he says. (NOT even in quotes)

“But, in the mid-term I still see (large SUVs) being a really important product for us that will stay the course.”

For the next-generation LS, expected in 2018, Templin promises “some cool interior stuff for us. We’re really focused on technology; we’re really focused on craftsmanship. We’re going to do some things with the next-generation LS interior that we’ve never done with interiors before,” he says.

As you can see, he never explicitly stated that it was coming out in 2018. For all we know, in some side comment he said to her, "It will all be for 2018."

And then for all we know, she just assumed he meant calendar year instead and thus wrote that down, without a direct quote stating that from Templin.

I get this kind of thing all the time, which is why I am very particular in being elaborate so that my commentary is fully understood.

A new GS is slowly being confirmed for late 2018 by Japanese sources as of late. Two new top tier sedans in one year is a bad idea.

Sorry krew for the once again lenghty, off-topic post.

Last edited:

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
I know we had talked about this very long ago, on another website. At this point, I really have no choice but to believe, that this car barely entered development around 2012-13.

I would not believe that Toyota spent 8-9 years on this from 2008-09.

Back in the fall of 2009, they introduced the moderate and regressive MY2010 facelift of cost-cutting proportions. Soon after, MB took the lead in U.S. flagship sales with their W221 facelift and then BMW with an expanded new 7-Series range.

It has never been the same since, as seen with the decreasing overall brand sales around 2010-11 and S-Class redesign in 2013. The Hyundai Equus possibly stole a few sales away from about 2010.

The 2013-2017 model year LS was the corrective handiwork of Akio Toyoda, likely seeing the disappointment the 2009-2012 LS versions were upon taking charge. He probably saw them in 2008, but had no full control.

Remembering that press release for the 2013 model, it seems that they were referring to the amount of engineering resources put into the updated LS, thus meaning it was possible Toyota's sole focus from 2009-2012. What has chief LS engineer Hideki Watanabe been doing since that ended?

Did the 5LS actually get put into development in 2008, then become consolidated into the updated MY2013 car post-June 2009 by Akio Toyoda is my question?

What muddles this, is that there were U.S. media rumours in October 2010, that the LS would be redesigned in 2014 and have longer than a 6-year life-cycle, plus introduce a new SC successor on the same platform.

Contrary to that, the current Mk.III version had to have been entering critical stages of development in late 2010 to be ready in time for July 2012 introduction and August start of production.

By the spring of 2011 (after LF-GH debut), Japanese reports and renderings were coming that the final design was a Spindle Grille LS. Slowly one eventually understood why.

Just about 8 months later in January 2012, teasers were released of a MY2013 LS prototype in silhouette. That car made its formal debut that July, going on sale by Sept.-Oct.

The amount of efforts poured into it, warranted some good lead time in the form of a 18-24 month sign-off before Summer 2012 production.

That 2013 LS was definitely designed before the March 2011 disasters. Question is still, why did they opt for that again? Economic crisis? 2009-10 recalls? LFA costs? Spreading out product cycles?

Did they wait until 2012 to start the 200B LS programme, hence maybe why some believe are struggling (with just 5 years) on a revolutionary programme and feel they need 6-7 years instead?

The LS400 programme began in early 1984, styling approval in 1986, freeze in May 1987, and then production began in May 1989 for September launch.

The '95 model was in development by 1990, styling approved in late 1991, and out by November 1994.

The LS430 project began in 1995, styling approval by December 1997 and launched by October 2000.

The 250L programme began in 2001, had a design reached in late 2003, frozen in early 2004, and launched in September 2006 for JDM (U.S. in Oct.).

As you can see a pattern of 4 1/2 to 5 years. I am always particular to mention styling/design timelines, because it is very critical to a model programme and ensures other targets can be reached on. I work on the engineering side of that. It is basically the mid-point of development.

One thing is for certain, if they knew what this car looked like back in October 2014, it is no more than 42 months out on any level. The LF-FC is that car, the same way the LF-NX was the NX. Apply the same concepts to how different LF-NX was, then you have the new LS.

I believe both you (CIF) and I just happened upon new spy shots of the 2018 LS, after waiting 10 1/2 years since the last set were first seen in 2005. Mag X has them, as the text gives me such an impression.

Just wait a few days/weeks, or maybe I might just subscribe to Mag X to speed this up

I still hold to my view, that the 5LS development has been a mixed, muddy, and extended affair. I believe initial work did start in 2008-2009, and Akio Toyoda was unsatisfied, and either told the team to start over, consolidated their efforts into the 2013 refresh, or both. So yes in 2009/2010 - 2012/2013 they were busy on the refresh, and I'm sure the earthquake affected their timeline as well. On the other hand, sometimes there are two concurrent teams working, one on a refresh of an existing generation, and one on the next-generation. It's possible there were no concurrent teams here. Or it's also possible that since 2008/2009 all the way up to possibly 2011/2012, Akio Toyoda had changed the development of the LS, and maybe extended it from that point.

To me the timeline at this point is less important, than actually getting details on it. I'm amazed that Japanese sources have extremely little, given the car is supposed to arrive next year. This seems like the most secret Lexus project in modern times.

I am simply waiting now with each passing day for some news on the LS, official or otherwise. Yes it's possible Mag-X has some spy shots.

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
I still hold to my view, that the 5LS development has been a mixed, muddy, and extended affair. I believe initial work did start in 2008-2009, and Akio Toyoda was unsatisfied, and either told the team to start over, consolidated their efforts into the 2013 refresh, or both. So yes in 2009/2010 - 2012/2013 they were busy on the refresh, and I'm sure the earthquake affected their timeline as well. On the other hand, sometimes there are two concurrent teams working, one on a refresh of an existing generation, and one on the next-generation. It's possible there were no concurrent teams here. Or it's also possible that since 2008/2009 all the way up to possibly 2011/2012, Akio Toyoda had changed the development of the LS, and maybe extended it from that point.

To me the timeline at this point is less important, than actually getting details on it. I'm amazed that Japanese sources have extremely little, given the car is supposed to arrive next year. This seems like the most secret Lexus project in modern times.

I am simply waiting now with each passing day for some news on the LS, official or otherwise. Yes it's possible Mag-X has some spy shots.

Very true, as concurrent development teams are quite critical to flagship offerings. Both Jaguar XJ X351 and X360 were in development at the same time, through early 2015. Mostly X360 now.

The facelift was very far along by spring 2011, but the 5LS not so. Whether it was dormant and restarted in 2012. We'll see I guess.

I understand that Japanese firms tend to avoid this as much they can in being lean, only allowing some overlap during late stages of MMC work and early/mid-point with redesign programmes.

When I did say "42 months out", I was referring to October 2014, meaning nothing should go beyond April 2018 as a launch date.

I don't see them privately showing that advanced a prototype, then taking an nearly 4 years to launch it in 2018.

I am concerned that a Tokyo 2017 debut is an unfortunate reality. Rather than NAIAS 2017 for the LS500 and LS300t, then maybe LS500h in Geneva 2017, and then LS250t in Shanghai.

We have heard about turbo I4, TTV6, TTV8, and LS500 (2UR from LC) and hybrid in LC500h. Only LS500 and LS500h have been trademarked. Where is confirmation of the others?

LS430 trademarks were purposely filed belatedly after its debut in January 2000, as likely a measure to guard LS development plans in 1998-99 from the public. The 4.3 was decided on in 1996-97, yet not official until LS430 debut.

I am confident that we will see something in the coming weeks. I tried to subscribe to Mag X, but you must be a Japanese resident.:mad: Quite infuriating.

Someone will catch that LS article on page 12 of the June 2016 Mag X issue and hopefully post it online in the coming weeks. We might see something like this.
untitled21.png

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
I hope the RC refresh due next year doesn't follow the IS in regard to the front.