Update: Lexus Confirms Three Row RX Crossover [Formerly RX Trademark Talk]

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
krew
15-08-30-lexus-rx-prototype-three-row-1.jpg

Lexus has trademarked the RX 350L nameplate in Europe, suggesting that a three-row version of the crossover could be in the works.
View the original article post

ydooby

Follower
Reactions
It's dumbfounding how for so many years Lexus had turned a blind eye on a market that is so painfully obviously in high demand to everyone with half a sense. Extending the wheelbase of the RX would require very little effort and yet the potential return of investment is so apparently huge if one simply looks at the sales volume of other three-row crossovers from all Lexus' rivals. Glad Lexus has finally come to their senses to grab this low-hanging fruit.

Last edited:

James

Founding Member
Reactions
When the RX 7 seater comes, the Enclave, MDX, JX/QX are going to immediately get impacted. The RX interior alone is so superior to those others its not even funny.
How many inches are we guessing here? Similar to the LS L?

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Fascinating, given all the mixed remarks from Toyota executives and engineers regarding a long-wheelbase RX. Then again, Toyota trademarks often don't result in an actual production model. Will be interesting to see if indeed we get a long-wheelbase RX or a new model.

krew said:
This trademark registration would explain the heavily camouflaged RX prototypes

I don't mean to be picky here, but just wanted to say that here on this forum, those shots of the camo RX prototypes were proven to have virtually identical rear ends to the current RX. It's just not physically possible for them to have crammed a third row into that camouflaged body. They were obviously testing something though.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
Fascinating, given all the mixed remarks from Toyota executives and engineers regarding a long-wheelbase RX. Then again, Toyota trademarks often don't result in an actual production model. Will be interesting to see if indeed we get a long-wheelbase RX or a new model.
Indeed, this begs the question of what happens to the TX trademark thought to be earmarked for the 3-row crossover. Does it die, just like VX and JX did before it? Or is TX a future larger-than-RX 350L 3-row crossover? And why no RX 450h L trademark? Is that one being filed later? Or do the hybrid batteries preclude a third row even with a stretched wheelbase?

Joe

Premium Member
Reactions
Whatever this trademark means, the pictures of this camouflaged RX have been discussed earlier. I don't know what this camouflage is meant to be, but it surely has nothing to do with the upcoming 7 seater. ;)

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
I don't mean to be picky here, but just wanted to say that here on this forum, those shots of the camo RX prototypes were proven to have virtually identical rear ends to the current RX. It's just not physically possible for them to have crammed a third row into that camouflaged body. They were obviously testing something though.

Whatever this trademark means, the pictures of this camouflaged RX have been discussed earlier. I don't know what this camouflage is meant to be, but it surely has nothing to do with the upcoming 7 seater. ;)

Are you two ganging up on me? Fine, I've edited the post as such:

This trademark registration might explain the camouflaged RX prototypes that were spotted multiple times last year, though most analysis of those mules would suggest otherwise.

o_O;)

James

Founding Member
Reactions
The 350L will be for the Russian market only. There is no market for the standard 350 in western Europe. An L would sell even less. In most countries the 350 isn't even sold.
That may be true in Europe. But in the US a 7 seater RX has been begged for. Curious if the US is getting that trade mark as well here soon...

Reactions
The whole time this 7 seat RX has been rumored I have said that it would be cool to name it RX350L, just to add another vehicle with the "long" option. Love the name structure. I do also think there is a market for this vehicle that Lexus is missing out on, but Lexus also needs a convertible. They should make convertible LC and RC/RC-F

Andyl

Founding Member
Reactions
It is amazing to see the black covers could really make a vehicle such as the new RX to be that ugly with the camouflage. :sob:

Yes, I am with CIF, there is no way to squeeze a row from the camouflaged picture in the normal sense. ;)

RAL

Reactions
All of this is very curious, but my money is still on a distant but forthcoming up-market TX based upon all the surveying of the Lexus Advisory Board several years ago. A 3-row RX may be used to fill the gap (in light of all the dealer clamoring) if such an addition is as easy as some have maintained.

D

DDas

I still believe that those camo shots were mules for the 7 seater RX (obviously some people have never heard of a mule); we'll probably see more "stretched" camo RXs now that the trademark is official. Also, for the people saying it could die like the TX, VX, and JX trademarks did, I don't think VX and JX were actual trademarks (especially since JX belonged to Infiniti before their Q/QX fiasco), and I also don't think the TX is dead yet. They're probably waiting for the GX to die or see if its sales improve.

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
RX with five seats and seven seats
without cancel GX
Exactly what I was thinking, the RX 350 L will be competing with the Q7, MDX and QX60, but that's also the same segment as the GX. The GX will hopefully be discontinued as soon as the 350 L comes out.

Or maybe the RX 350L won't actually be competing with the MDX and Q7 segment and just competing with the X5, since it also comes in 5 seats and 7 seats, while still being smaller than the MDX and Q7.

Last edited by a moderator:

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
Also, for the people saying it could die like the TX, VX, and JX trademarks did, I don't think VX and JX were actual trademarks (especially since JX belonged to Infiniti before their Q/QX fiasco), and I also don't think the TX is dead yet.
I never said that TX was dead. It's still very much alive. I just said it could die if the RX L becomes Lexus' largest (or only) 3-row crossover.

Also, VX and JX were actual trademarks registered by Toyota, presumably for Lexus' use, but the company let them die unused. This happens all the time. Nissan/Infiniti was only able to pick up and use JX after Toyota/Lexus let it lapse and die. Toyota had it first. This is, perhaps, Nissan's backhanded way of getting back at Toyota for using NX for Lexus. Nissan had a Pulsar NX in its lineup decades before the Lexus small crossover used those initials.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Also, for the people saying it could die like the TX, VX, and JX trademarks did, I don't think VX and JX were actual trademarks (especially since JX belonged to Infiniti before their Q/QX fiasco), and I also don't think the TX is dead yet. They're probably waiting for the GX to die or see if its sales improve.

Lexus actually did hold the JX trademark for a few years... it wasn't 3 months after they let it expire that Infiniti picked it up, and then killed it later for QX60. "JX" has had an interesting run so far.

Exactly what I was thinking, the RX 350 L will be competing with the Q7, MDX and QX60, but that's also the same segment as the GX. The GX will hopefully be discontinued as soon as the 350 L comes out.

Or maybe the RX 350L won't actually be competing with the MDX and Q7 segment and just competing with the X5, since it also comes in 5 seats and 7 seats, while still being smaller than the MDX and Q7.

What makes you say that "hopefully" the GX will die if the RX-L comes along? Dropping a BOF, off-road capable SUV with a V8 is not something I'd celebrate if it's replaced with a FWD-based V6 crossover.

For the record, the MDX, Q7 and X5 are very much competitors - along with QX60, XC90, etc. Different flavors, but competitors none the less.

Last edited:

OlFius

Founding Member
Reactions
And why first registered in Europe ?
Maybe a stupid question, but I don't think that the main market for the 350L will be Europe...