Status
Not open for further replies.

Faisal Sheikh

Admirer
Reactions
Logically, not very likely. Stuffing a high horsepower engine without strengthening the chassis, beefing up the suspension, brakes, cooling etc. is not a likely scenario. If Lexus ends up doing all of that, it will pretty much become a 4-door RCF except it is on the 3IS chassis.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
That puzzled me as well. They had this exact technology developed over a decade ago to achieve the exact same goal the Taycan's 2-spd system is aiming for. They even developed that two-spd CVT to do the same thing on ICEVs (although it works differently).

Both the first gen RX400h and GS450h have a two-stage eCVT, basically attaching a second planetary gear set to the output shaft of the HSD transaxle. A launch stage with 1:1 reduction for max torque magnification and a cruise stage with 2.5:1 reduction for efficiency. For some reason they ditched all that development in favor of just a single stage system on majority of the latest TNGA hybrid systems.

Supposedly two stage eCVT was extremely expensive to manufacture. Also Taycan's 2 speed is very expensive as well, which is why Tesla does not do 2 speed.

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
why would it be called the IS 500?? And is the NA market really in desperate need of this?

Might as well call the RC F the RC 500 too.

Unless Lexus is just stuffing the V8 into the regular IS and calling it a day, it should be the IS F. Such a powerful engine is useless in a regular sport sedan without the other hardware to handle it (e.g. brakes, suspension, etc.).

Also, next gen IS is only electric?? I hope that's not true...

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
why would it be called the IS 500?? And is the NA market really in desperate need of this?

Might as well call the RC F the RC 500 too.

Unless Lexus is just stuffing the V8 into the regular IS and calling it a day, it should be the IS F. Such a powerful engine is useless in a regular sport sedan without the other hardware to handle it (e.g. brakes, suspension, etc.).

Also, next gen IS is only electric?? I hope that's not true...

i am not sure if any of this is true, but of course an IS with 5.0l V8 would be called IS500.

Difference between IS-F and IS500 should be easily understandable.

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
i am not sure if any of this is true, but of course an IS with 5.0l V8 would be called IS500.

Difference between IS-F and IS500 should be easily understandable.
Yea, I get that part, but what I don't understand is why you would put in such a powerful engine without other performance gear. Might as well just give it a TVD, launch control and all the other F stuff to make it an IS F. I don't think many regular IS shoppers are interested in a gas-guzzling V8 with so much power. The IS F badge, however, (which already has a history with 400+ hp 5.0L V8s) badge would bring in more performance enthusiasts.

The 2IS F was rumoured to be called the IS 500 before it was revealed.

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
Perhaps you're on to something. I know that the MagX / CarSensor story very specifically spells out the 5-liter V8 going into 3IS, but what if, instead, IS 500 is like LS 500, a twin turbo 3.5-liter V6?
I like the idea of the engine in the IS, but it would likely need to be slightly detuned to just under 400 hp, so it doesn't seem like youre getting the LS engine for cheaper. The number would also need to be lower than 500, so the "hierarchy" stays intact. I like how IS 400 sounds.

LexsCTJill

Follower
Reactions
Perhaps you're on to something. I know that the MagX / CarSensor story very specifically spells out the 5-liter V8 going into 3IS, but what if, instead, IS 500 is like LS 500, a twin turbo 3.5-liter V6?
5K ra

If the GS is cancelled, I can see a IS500 with the 3.5tt serving the $60-$65 range...I think YOU are on to something actually.

mediumhot

Follower
Reactions
The only thing I'm certain is that IS will get another facelift and that's about it. Will there be new gen IS? It's 50:50

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
It will be tantamount to suicide to leave just the ES and LS sedans in the line up but I would double dare Toyota to do just that. :)

The RC is nice but impractical for people who have more than one family member. LC just way beyond my budget and still a two-seater.

LexsCTJill

Follower
Reactions
It will be tantamount to suicide to leave just the ES and LS sedans in the line up but I would double dare Toyota to do just that. :)

The RC is nice but impractical for people who have more than one family member. LC just way beyond my budget and still a two-seater.

I definitely could see Toyota doing it in North America, I do not believe the people fully understand how much sedans are declining. The new sedans by the Genesis brand will not do a very well, and then you’ll see how Toyota made the right decision to put all their efforts into the ES model

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
I definitely could see Toyota doing it in North America, I do not believe the people fully understand how much sedans are declining. The new sedans by the Genesis brand will not do a very well, and then you’ll see how Toyota made the right decision to put all their efforts into the ES model

The G70 is RWD-biased and are getting recognitions from the press.

The reasons I think luxury sports sedans are not selling are:
-They have poor MPG like the IS at what 28 US MPG
-Some sedans are more expensive than SUVs (think Porsche and BMW where the X3 starts $1k cheaper than the 330i RWD in Canada)
-And they don't handle or drive extremely well ( no torque vectoring, no more double wishbone front suspensions) compared to say a base Macan starting from $55k CAD.

Car manufacturers have realized this and started offering AWD on Mazda3, Camry and Altima but those AWD are inferior.

Sport sedans should have significantly better MPG, oomph, and should have much better driving dynamics or its purpose is lost.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
What if there is indeed a surplus of unused 2UR-GSE engines and they want to get rid of them quickly? Currently the engine is used in only three low volume models, and even these underperform sales expectations. They originally expected 4000 LC500s a year, but only sells 30% of that, so I think the engine line is underutilized and possibly losing money.

but it would likely need to be slightly detuned to just under 400 hp
Can somebody enlighten me why some on this forum insist the V35A-FTS needs to be detuned for the IS? There is no cost benefit for detuning the engine. And the current 310kW version is already "detuned" compared to its full potential. Its potential competitors (M340i S4 and C43AMG) do not use detuned engines. I am very, very confused everytime I see this.

Status
Not open for further replies.