Sulu

Expert
Reactions
It looks like the e-Power is a serial hybrid system and the ICE never drives the vehicle (the ICE in Toyota's and Honda's serial-parallel systems do drive the vehicle under higher load situations).

I have always thought that a strictly serial hybrid system could be the most fuel efficient.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
It looks like the e-Power is a serial hybrid system and the ICE never drives the vehicle (the ICE in Toyota's and Honda's serial-parallel systems do drive the vehicle under higher load situations).

I have always thought that a strictly serial hybrid system could be the most fuel efficient.
It is. Bur serial hybrids are less efficient than PS/serial-parallel on highway and will always be.

So far THS still seems to be the best compromise for any driving condition, but it seems Toyota is close to exhausting any improvement potential without increasing cost dramatically. They are now down to micro improvements like lower viscosity oil.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
I recently had a chance to attend an academic talk on electrochemistry (having relatives in the academia is quite useful). The overall feel is that electrochemistry is one of the very rare fields where the industry runs way ahead of the academia. A lot of scientific questions remain unanswered for example the degradation behavior of NCM811 chemistries is still poorly understood till this day. And yet the industry has not only adopted 811 five years ago but is now proceeding with 9.5.5. All of the engineering is built on very hollow theoretical grounds and is more comparable to traditional herb medicine: brute forcing a problem with huge amounts of trial and error (and money) instead of systematic approach guided by scientific methods.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
I recently had a chance to attend an academic talk on electrochemistry (having relatives in the academia is quite useful). The overall feel is that electrochemistry is one of the very rare fields where the industry runs way ahead of the academia. A lot of scientific questions remain unanswered for example the degradation behavior of NCM811 chemistries is still poorly understood till this day. And yet the industry has not only adopted 811 five years ago but is now proceeding with 9.5.5. All of the engineering is built on very hollow theoretical grounds and is more comparable to traditional herb medicine: brute forcing a problem with huge amounts of trial and error (and money) instead of systematic approach guided by scientific methods.
Covid 19 response was anything but scientific.

Academia has shown numerous times to be way behind was, being now a very slow outdated and corrupt entity.

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
Industry is hush hush with advancement because they don't want the Osborne Effect to take place.

Solid Power, Quantumscape, Prologium, Honda and Toyota -- some of them have announced SSB commercialization as soon as a year or two. Even Honda will have established a demonstration line by next year.

"As the first step, our demonstration line for the production of all-solid-state batteries will become operational in Spring 2024, where we will work toward the establishment of mass-production technologies. Then, leveraging such initial technologies as a foothold, we will continue to advance our all-solid-state batteries."

And Toyota confirmed that testing has been better than anticipated and so 27/28 will usher in SSBs for its BEVs, likely the more premium models.

People talk about AI and increased computing power but they never considered improved technology and collaboration to hastening of newer battery technology when that's clearly one area that will benefit.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
I've funded battery chemistry innovators in the past. There's a lot in the pipe, but you have to realize the existing infrastructure in place has significant economic momentum. It takes time to shove new chemistry value & supply chains into place.

Also, Lexus seems to have trademarked the spindle grill.

1697388532738.png

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
001.jpg

Lexus Booth Image

toyota_news_1042_9_2.JPG

Last edited:

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
From Motor1:

Toyota's luxury division is preparing a whole concept lineup, details of which haven't been entirely revealed. We have some teaser images, however, suggesting three models will grace the company's display. One is believed to be an electric sedan with sleek lines and a fastback shape, and based on recent trademark filings, could preview a new LF series. The other Lexus concepts are even more mysterious, with a teaser image showing shadows that resemble another sedan and a midsize crossover.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
In all seriousness though, I hope this s*** is wacky because I will be all over that.
100%. I like concept cars to be conceptual and really go for it. There's been a lot of "you could produce that right now" in the last 10-15 years from all manufacturers.