ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Also glad to see them coming up with better interior designs with sustainable material. Hopefully we don't see the extremely bland black plastic and fake leather with zero trim like current Lexus products.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
I bet you these two, alongside the performance coupe, live above the line of IS-like, RZ and TZ models.

sl0519

Follower
Reactions
ZL ugly AF......speechless.
I was hoping ZC to be the LS replacement......it actually reminded me a bit of the grandsphere concept from Audi
A216477_web_960.jpg

but instead it's closer to the size of the IS.......why?

edit: the more I compared the both the more I got disappointed it looked straight up like a conceptualized old Prius wtf!

:eek::eek::eek:

Last edited:

Will1991

Reactions
We might be overstretching the actual concept to production usual "downgrade".

That Audi concept is gorgeous, but will end up much closer to this:

audi-a6-e-tron-concept.jpg

Just look at the prototype:

audi-a6-avant-ev-side-view-spy-photo.jpg

Those Lexus are nothing more than design exercises, to show to where the brand wants to go on the future (design wise).

And to be honest, at least they're trying to do something different than everyone else that keeps bubbling up the entire car for better range (The entire Tesla range, the entire EQ range, the entire eTron range, etc...).

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Lexus has been sending mixed signals and not much substance with EVs over the last 2 years so I’m not sure how to think about these vehicles. Pure concepts? Design exercises? Engineering showcases?

From a design perspective, I don’t care for anything I see, but from an engineering POV, there are some interesting elements to unpack.

Extended, overdue lifecycles for both IS and LS mean these sort of releases send us all reading the tea leaves for production insights, but the more that Lexus’ vision for EVs plays out publicly, it becomes clear to me that they are in a state of transition and scrambling to find a path and identity going forward.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
These concepts are a sign that they are serious with EVs. The LovecarTV interviewed the chief designer of LF-ZC and he said the new shape is to take advantage of gigacasting, 2nd generation eAxles and super low profile battery pack. The LF-ZC is what a cutting edge BEV should look like and the previous IS EV design was clearly with an ICEV mindset. It is designed by an amateur who knows nothing about BEV.

Good packaging doesn't look good and good looking cars generally have bad packaging. Lexus chose design over packaging for the current gen and the products sucked so they are moving in the other direction.

eTNGA was a half baked effort that ended up losing them money in the long run. I'm going to be very blunt here, TMC has been relying solely on brand perception and customer loyalty and get away with selling uncompetitive products for too long. That business model can only last so long and they had to eat the humble pie when nobody buys their hopelessly uncompetitive EVs. So the whole plan they had around eTNGA crumbled and they started from clean sheet.

Last edited:

Gor134

Admirer
Reactions
I don't think an EV needs to take advantage of BEV proportioning to the best.

Style is luxury, and compromising packaging for the sake of style is a luxury. Look at the Taycan, incredibly successful yet not very well packaged for a 4-door sedan. But looks sexy, low-slung, and long. Style definitely can sell.

If every BEV takes on the same wedged cab-forward look, you can't really stand out like that imo. The Lexus LF-ZC concept looks good now but I think it's shape won't age well at all.

Nights

Fan
Reactions
I don't think an EV needs to take advantage of BEV proportioning to the best.

Style is luxury, and compromising packaging for the sake of style is a luxury. Look at the Taycan, incredibly successful yet not very well packaged for a 4-door sedan. But looks sexy, low-slung, and long. Style definitely can sell.

If every BEV takes on the same wedged cab-forward look, you can't really stand out like that imo. The Lexus LF-ZC concept looks good now but I think it's shape won't age well at all.
Taycan sells because it’s a Porsche not because it’s a particularly compelling product. I know many colleagues who purchased them over other/better EVs simply because of the badge.

I think the concepts are a strong sign that the new leadership team are taking a clean sheet approach which is a step in the right direction.