NVlaar

Follower
Reactions
I'm afraid it's already too late for Lexus. They're going all in on BEV's. The TTV8 will be their last ICE. As for Toyota, they're still working on ICE powertrains, or at least converting existing engines to run on hydrogen. Will they build another inline 6? Maybe, but they could use Mazda's inline 6 instead. They had all the time in the world to develop an inline 6 and didn't for the Supra so I don't see it especially this late in the game for the ICE. I hope I'm wrong though!
Question is: Is it (TTV8) still coming?

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
I think I am one of the few here who are looking forward to more Lexus BEVs. Hoping that promise for a fully electrified line up by 2030 will be significantly met. Hoping many of you can still get your ICEVs or HEVs then.

Toyota/Lexus BEVs likely going to most reliable makes with fewer software headaches.

WHEN IS LEXUS GOING ALL ELECTRIC?

Lexus plans to go fully electric in North America by 2030 and fully electric globally by 2035. That doesn’t just mean no traditional fuel-burning vehicles. It means no hybrids, either. Lexus’s commitment states that it will sell only BEVs by 2030 and 2035, respectively.

Gor134

Admirer
Reactions
I like how some of you still think the TTV8 will ever reach production.
Well the Lexus GT3 needs a production model homologated to competitively race... It only makes sense engine development continues for this model.

LS500-18

Follower
Reactions
Hopefully Lexus walks back this talk of all BEV just like Elon misses almost everything he promises. Let's say BEV only by 2045 and that will be more realistic LOL

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
Hybridized TTV8 in platform based on GT3
Electric power placed near rear wheels

The other models downrange will hopefully eventually see whatever next Gen electric axle they developed for it, paired with smaller motors.

If you could fine tune the performance, looks and features to supercar, GT, coupe, compact sedan. The GT3 wheelbase is already nearly the same as the IS, I believe.

I imagine as the electric power alone becomes capable enough, you can drop the combustion portion or keep it and transition it to hydrogen combustion hybrid, or move to full BEV.

Very curious to see what really ultimately materializes

Ali Manai

Follower
Reactions
LC and RC will be consolidated into one coupe model.

Only info they knew is it will have both HEV and BEV versions. HEV will use V35.
So the only application of 2ur left is hydrogen version appearing somewhere later in the decade in the land cruiser

Will1991

Reactions
Considering the new C63 and E63 AMG have a 4 cylinder engine, I'm astonished how Lexus will keep a 6-cylinder engine for the next coupe...

Levi

Expert
Reactions
LC and RC will be consolidated into one coupe model.

Only info they knew is it will have both HEV and BEV versions. HEV will use V35.

I hope it will weigh not more than 1.800 kg. BMW M5 weighs around 1.900 kg, more than GS F but still very light by today's standards, with comfort/luxury, TTV8 and AWD.

Considering the new C63 and E63 AMG have a 4 cylinder engine, I'm astonished how Lexus will keep a 6-cylinder engine for the next coupe...
I am not sure. Apparently the C AMG with 4 cylinders is such flop, AMG is reconsidering V8. They might avoid this mistake for the E AMG beforehand instead of back pedaling.

Edit: Saw the article, that is stupid of Mercedes, 4 cylinders for the asking price is a no, their boring BEVs are a no too. Lexus' opportunity to make better, not with 4 cylinder and not boring BEVs.

Last edited:

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions
Well the Lexus GT3 needs a production model homologated to competitively race... It only makes sense engine development continues for this model.
Like what @ssun30 mentioned before in the Racing Megathread (link below), the current GT3 rules are very favourable towards NA engines, and the GR GT3 prototype that was caught on camera running around Fuji Speedway not only doesn't sound turbocharged at all but also sounds very similar to the RC F GT3.

Last edited:

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Like what @ssun30 mentioned before in the Racing Megathread (link below), the current GT3 rules are very favourable towards NA engines, and the GR GT3 prototype that was caught on camera running around Fuji Speedway not only doesn't sound turbocharged at all but also sounds very similar to the RC F GT3. Heck, even the GT3 version of the AMG GT is running the 6.2L V8 from the old SLS AMG despite the road car version only being available from the factory with the 4.0L TTV8.

I didn't say current rules favor NA over forced induction.

I said current BoP (which could change every race) favors the RC-F GT3 because its chassis is way behind and needs more power to compensate.

The LFR with 4.0TTV8 could be a suboptimal solution because GT3 doesn't need such a big engine for the power level. A 3.0TTV6 is lighter and more efficient allowing better weight balance.

No!!! Why can't they just use 2UR and pair with e-axle?
The 2UR could not clear any emissions standards in major markets by 2025.

Last edited:

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions

I said current BoP (which could change every race) favors the RC-F GT3 because its chassis is way behind and needs more power to compensate.

The LFR with 4.0TTV8 could be a suboptimal solution because GT3 doesn't need such a big engine for the power level. A 3.0TTV6 is lighter and more efficient allowing better weight balance.

I thought the TTV8 was road going, and the GT3 application was getting a separate engine?

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions

The 2UR could not clear any emissions standards in major markets by 2025.
Then explain the “huge boost cuts at high rpm on turbo engines making NA engines advantageous under current BOP” part of your post 🤷.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Then explain the “huge boost cuts at high rpm on turbo engines making NA engines advantageous under current BOP” part of your post 🤷.
BoP are different from rules. They can change anytime if they find turbo cars are underperforming, which they are not because they generally have newer chassis and the midrange boost levels are still sufficient. They just cut top end boost so NA cars don't get destroyed on the straights.

LS500-18

Follower
Reactions
How about BEV-only never?
All I know is that right now politicians and CEOs will say whatever they want and there is no real consequences if they miss the fabricated target. BEV sales in the US are flat year over year right now anyway.

I'd like to see the free market decide on what customers want instead of govt interference with major taxpayer handouts all over the place.

Sometimes I wonder if the transition to BEV is actually for the environment or the money?