NomadDan

Follower
Reactions
With the TX having an eCVT in the 3.5 hybrid, is this the first time Toyota has used a eCVT with the 3.5? I can’t think of any other V6 hybrid with an eCVT. If so, is this an all new transmission, or is this based on the 4 cylinder eCVT used in the Prius, etc? I can’t see Toyota developing an all new transmission solely for a sub model of the TX, so if it’s a new design, then surely there will be other transverse V6 hybrids in the works.

Sulu

Expert
Reactions
Up until the new i-FORCE Max and Hybrid Max hybrids (with conventional multi-speed automatic transmissions), all Toyota and Lexus hybrids had the eCVT (serial-parallel) transmission, including the previous-generation RX 450h and Highlander Hybrid (with the 3.5 litre 2GR V6). So, no the eCVT is not a new transmission.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
The 550h+ eCVT will very likely be a new hybrid transaxle since the P810 in the 450h+ system has an upper ICE power limit of 140kW. The 2GR-FXS makes 193kW so both MG1 and MG2 need to be upsized.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
NGL, I'm kinda surprised by the 550h+ powertrain, over 400 hp combined output, higher than even the RWD based 2GR hybrids(granted those aren't PHEVs), glad that they aren't completely phasing out the GR V6.

Stuff this 550h+ powertrain into a Lexus ES lol, SPEED and POWER.
And fuel economy…

NomadDan

Follower
Reactions
RX450h and previous gen Highlander Hybrid had an eCVT.

Almost certainly will be the hybrid transaxle from the Rav4 Prime.
Thanks. I didn’t realize those models existed. I guess I haven’t followed non-BOF products that well as I do now.

Up until the new i-FORCE Max and Hybrid Max hybrids (with conventional multi-speed automatic transmissions), all Toyota and Lexus hybrids had the eCVT (serial-parallel) transmission, including the previous-generation RX 450h and Highlander Hybrid (with the 3.5 litre 2GR V6). So, no the eCVT is not a new transmission.
Thanks for the reply. I’m aware the eCVT isn’t a new transmission, and I was mainly wondering specifically about transverse V6 eCVT applications. The LC500h and LS500h also have the eCVT+4 speed multistage transmissions, which are kinda a neat idea
The 550h+ eCVT will very likely be a new hybrid transaxle since the P810 in the 450h+ system has an upper ICE power limit of 140kW. The 2GR-FXS makes 193kW so both MG1 and MG2 need to be upsized.

Thanks ssun, I always appreciate your technical insight.

JustADude

Follower
Reactions
Could you imagine? We’d finally get the ES with a V6 AND AWD! While I do love the IS, and wish there was an IS with the V35 or an IS500h with the multi-stage hybrid setup, an ES500h+ sounds like a decent enough alternative, but it’s too early to get my hopes up.
Preach

qtb007

Follower
Reactions
I thought the P810 was OK up to basically the torque output of the S20. Was that not what was used in China? I seem to recall you mentioning it.

I'd be surprised if all new eCVT considering they didn't develop one for the T24. I don't think the 550h+ will be very high volume. How would the RX450h eCVT play with bigger batteries? Would that potentially get to the 400hp quoted? Or just higher capacity motors in the P810?

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
I thought the P810 was OK up to basically the torque output of the S20. Was that not what was used in China? I seem to recall you mentioning it.

I'd be surprised if all new eCVT considering they didn't develop one for the T24. I don't think the 550h+ will be very high volume. How would the RX450h eCVT play with bigger batteries? Would that potentially get to the 400hp quoted? Or just higher capacity motors in the P810?
The maximum ICE power supported by each eCVT depends on the maximum power and rpm of MG1. MG1 usually needs to be at least 1/3 the ICE's peak power. Unfortunately Toyota almost never share the specs of MG1 for some reason.

Sulu

Expert
Reactions

Although artificial intelligence (AI) is the new hotness in the tech world, its full range of uses is still being discovered. Toyota believes that the new tech could be useful in automotive design, and has unveiled a new tool to help its employees create cars faster.

The system was developed by the Toyota Research Institute (TRI), and uses generative AI to help designers in the early stages of the creative process. It transforms text prompts into new renderings that can then be picked up and refined by human designers.

Although AI can’t fully design a new car yet, this new system can take constraints like drag and chassis dimensions into account as it generates images. These are important early considerations, since they have impacts on things like fuel efficiency, handling, ergonomics, and safety.

By using optimization theory, the text-to-image tool can help designers in refining these engineering constraints with styling prompts. For example, a Toyota employee could write that they’re looking for the vehicle to be “sleek,” “SUV-like,” or “modern,” and the system will take that into account, while also balancing aerodynamics, for instance.

In research papers published by TRI, the team focuses mainly on aerodynamic drag, given its importance for extending range in electric vehicles. The automaker says that generative AI could help it design electrified vehicles more quickly and efficiently.

I wonder how it would respond to a wrong prompt, say like "Computer, tea, earl grey, hot"?

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I am seeing alot of videos with "engines issues" of the V35A in the Middle East on the 300 LC/LX.

Could be a mix of incorrect oil viscosity being used and some manufacturing defect affecting certain vin.

I personally know someone who had to replace his block due to a knocking noise that came out of nowhere. Apparently some piston issue that resulted in more issues and they replaced the block on warranty.

This is of one instance I know personally, I have seen many other videos as well.

Had around 43,000km when the incident happened.
It was one of the early 300s.

All documented with Toyota.

He has a 2003 uzj100 with almost half a million kms. He drove that while his new lc300 was being worked on for engine issues....

This is the first I’m hearing of major engine failures on a Land Cruiser 300 or LX - my hypothesis before was that Toyota used different suppliers for the Tundra and Sequoia, with less stringent R&D, while the best suppliers/parts were reserved for LS/LX/Land Cruiser.

Tundra issues are pretty well documented over the last two years, but stuff popping up on the LX/LC 300 is discouraging.

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions
Yikes, I'm hoping these are a mix of manufacturing defects and improper maintenance instead of design flaws 😬.

UZJ100GXR

Follower
Reactions
@CRSKTN i think you make a great point.

Some of these issues may very well be a result of improper maintenance and abuse (wrong viscosity oil - driving long distances without oil changes) and who knows what else.
I am also almost certain something is affecting certain vins or batches.

Obviously everyone is going to be talking about issues so 8 or 9 videos are going to feel like 900 but I have seen many videos and from different Middle Eastern countries.

So something is going wrong somewhere.
Knowing Toyota without a doubt they are on top of it but it is still worrying.

In the case of my friend, he took great care of his vehicle but it was also early production (7.2022).

He is selling it now that it's fixed and will get another one.

Ali Manai

Follower
Reactions
@CRSKTN i think you make a great point.

Some of these issues may very well be a result of improper maintenance and abuse (wrong viscosity oil - driving long distances without oil changes) and who knows what else.
I am also almost certain something is affecting certain vins or batches.

Obviously everyone is going to be talking about issues so 8 or 9 videos are going to feel like 900 but I have seen many videos and from different Middle Eastern countries.

So something is going wrong somewhere.
Knowing Toyota without a doubt they are on top of it but it is still worrying.

In the case of my friend, he took great care of his vehicle but it was also early production (7.2022).

He is selling it now that it's fixed and will get another one.
Yes some of the videos i have seen show damage to the cylinder due to mistiming of the exhaust valve also saw one of th g16 gtse not a widespread nevertheless does plague some powertrains that a25, t24, m20, m15 have all proven to be very reliable so lets wait and see if more issues turn up

LS500-18

Follower
Reactions
I had an LS500 for 2+ years, my biggest complaint on the V35A was the horrendous lag off the line. The engine had the power on paper but in city driving it sucked off the line and the turbos made the power really non-linear. I wouldn't buy another one of those engines, they are really best for highway driving. I didn't have any mechanical issues with the engine but it only had 20,000km on when I traded it in for a smoother hybrid Lexus.

Ali Manai

Follower
Reactions
I had an LS500 for 2+ years, my biggest complaint on the V35A was the horrendous lag off the line. The engine had the power on paper but in city driving it sucked off the line and the turbos made the power really non-linear. I wouldn't buy another one of those engines, they are really best for highway driving. I didn't have any mechanical issues with the engine but it only had 20,000km on when I traded it in for a smoother hybrid Lexus.
They fixed the lag issues last year as for the land cruiser and lx600 they were better than ls500

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
There seems to be quite a few people reporting seized V35 engines that have had main bearing failures. Now there’s the fuel line recall too. [Edit: I should be more specific…the issues I’m reading about are related to the Tundra. Not sure about other vehicles with the V35]

There’s a good number of people who were concerned about the reliability of a TT V6 compared to a NA V8, and I was hoping Toyota could pull off a TT V6 without any issues, but it seems those concerns were valid. Hopefully the T24 has less problems.

well do remember that all these engine lines that are today considered reliable, also had their own issues. So generally, even with Toyota, people should be careful with brand new engines.