Toyota Land Cruiser Megathread (300, 250, Prado, etc)

NomadDan

Follower
Reactions
Toyota has removed the little snippet about the Land Cruiser getting 27mpg from its website. It seems either that information was prematurely released, or it may not be accurate.

qtb007

Follower
Reactions
Toyota has removed the little snippet about the Land Cruiser getting 27mpg from its website. It seems either that information was prematurely released, or it may not be accurate.
That 27mpg did sound too good to be true.

Heicho

Follower
Reactions
I wonder if the LC70 will remain the flagship pickup with the introduction of TNGA Hilux..

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions
I'm not even sure if the Hilux will ever move to using TNGA platform, from Toyota showing the IMV 0 concept in Thailand to them introducing minor change after minor change for the Hilux, they seem pretty keen to continue modifying the IMV platform instead of switching over to TNGA-F platform. Plus the Hilux's main markets are much more price sensitive than US and Canada, so keeping cost down is definitely a main priority.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
I'm not even sure if the Hilux will ever move to using TNGA platform, from Toyota showing the IMV 0 concept in Thailand to them introducing minor change after minor change for the Hilux, they seem pretty keen to continue modifying the IMV platform instead of switching over to TNGA-F platform. Plus the Hilux's main markets are much more price sensitive than US and Canada, so keeping cost down is definitely a main priority.
The new Ford Ranger is on the same platform as previous gen too. The Ford is sold in the same price sensitive markets as the Hilux.

Heicho

Follower
Reactions
The new Ford Ranger is on the same platform as previous gen too. The Ford is sold in the same price sensitive markets as the Hilux.
The Hilux’s platform mate, the Innova, has moved onto TNGA (in the form of TNGA-C). The whole point of consolidating platforms is to reduce costs.

JustADude

Follower
Reactions
I honestly wished Toyota updated the 4.0L 1GR-FE and 5.7L 3UR-FE and give them the FSE treament, instead of ditching them for these 2 downsized turbocharged engines, the 2.4L turbo T24A and the V35A that have been kinda not that spectacular both in terms of performance and fuel efficiency. Both the 1GR and 3UR in their current FE form should have a ton of room left for performance and efficiency improvements based on what we have seen from other Toyota FE engines that got updated FSE versions with D4-S, higher static compression ratio, wide-angle VVT-i intake cam sprocket that enables the switch between Atkinson and Otto cycle and more efficient cylinder head designs.
I agree with what you said, but Toyota wouldn't be able to do that. They ditched their 3.5L V6 for a turbo 4, so keeping a bigger V6 like the 1GR and 3UR would be hard for emissions. I'll say Toyota could've gone another route with making a smaller turbo V6 from the V35A (~2.7L V6) that could've gone into the smaller trucks and cars (TX,RX,ES).

NomadDan

Follower
Reactions
I agree with what you said, but Toyota wouldn't be able to do that. They ditched their 3.5L V6 for a turbo 4, so keeping a bigger V6 like the 1GR and 3UR would be hard for emissions. I'll say Toyota could've gone another route with making a smaller turbo V6 from the V35A (~2.7L V6) that could've gone into the smaller trucks and cars (TX,RX,ES).

I think a 2.7-2.8 turbo V6 would be very nice in the lineup, and it’s something I’ve mentioned here before. Such posts typically get shot down with comments about the T24 and T24 hybrid being good enough though.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
A smaller V6 based on the V35 block is not going to cost less to build and just adds another set of tooling to maintain. It's much easier to detune the V35 to run on very low boost and 91RON fuel. The V35 detuned to ~320PS and 500N.m could have very good drivability, efficiency and reliability while complying with Euro 7. It's already small and light enough to readily replace 2GR in every application.

But we know Toyota did not become the biggest car company and have 12.4% net margins by offering generous powertrains... If you are not content with "good enough" you should give other brands a chance.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
The Hilux’s platform mate, the Innova, has moved onto TNGA (in the form of TNGA-C). The whole point of consolidating platforms is to reduce costs.
It is true, all cars that were Hilux related went FWD. new Hilux and Fortuner must come too. Probably in 2025.

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions
Believe or not, the old IMV Innova is being sold alongside the new Innova in certain markets that really need a body-on-frame RWD MPV, mainly in the broke AF parts of Southeast Asia.

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions
But we know Toyota did not become the biggest car company and have 12.4% net margins by offering generous powertrains... If you are not content with "good enough" you should give other brands a chance.
I'm really struggling to think of other brands that are both generally reliable and not stingy with the powertrain options that they offer at the same time.

Last edited:
Reactions
Still up on the Canadian page - just in l/100km. They did remove it from the press release there, too, though. It translates pretty much exactly to the RX 500h - power figures and transmission are different.

NVlaar

Follower
Reactions
Reading all the comments from you guys about how underwhelming these new Toyota powertrains are quite discouraging to say the least. Personally, I was so excited about these dynamic force lineup of powertrains when they were first announced but almost all of the engines introduced were mediocre at best. I only hope these new turbo engines and hybrid units live up to the TMCs reputation of reliability.

At this point, I only care about one thing only. Is the 4.0 V8 still coming or not? My expectations are rock bottom at this point but I just want to hear another TMC V8 before the sh*t EVs come. :cautious:

Ali Manai

Follower
Reactions
Reading all the comments from you guys about how underwhelming these new Toyota powertrains are quite discouraging to say the least. Personally, I was so excited about these dynamic force lineup of powertrains when they were first announced but almost all of the engines introduced were mediocre at best. I only hope these new turbo engines and hybrid units live up to the TMCs reputation of reliability.

At this point, I only care about one thing only. Is the 4.0 V8 still coming or not? My expectations are rock bottom at this point but I just want to hear another TMC V8 before the sh*t EVs come. :cautious:
Yeah even the alphard 2.5l the non hybrid uses the 2ar-fe engine not the a25a-fks engine maybe due to cost but it's weird

UZJ100GXR

Follower
Reactions
I am seeing alot of videos with "engines issues" of the V35A in the Middle East on the 300 LC/LX.

Could be a mix of incorrect oil viscosity being used and some manufacturing defect affecting certain vin.

I personally know someone who had to replace his block due to a knocking noise that came out of nowhere. Apparently some piston issue that resulted in more issues and they replaced the block on warranty.

This is of one instance I know personally, I have seen many other videos as well.

Had around 43,000km when the incident happened.
It was one of the early 300s.

All documented with Toyota.

He has a 2003 uzj100 with almost half a million kms. He drove that while his new lc300 was being worked on for engine issues....

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
I wonder how many people who tend not to listen to anyone are treating these new engines as poorly as they did the old ones, the old ones just managed it better.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
I am seeing alot of videos with "engines issues" of the V35A in the Middle East on the 300 LC/LX.

Could be a mix of incorrect oil viscosity being used and some manufacturing defect affecting certain vin.

I personally know someone who had to replace his block due to a knocking noise that came out of nowhere. Apparently some piston issue that resulted in more issues and they replaced the block on warranty.

This is of one instance I know personally, I have seen many other videos as well.

Had around 43,000km when the incident happened.
It was one of the early 300s.

All documented with Toyota.

He has a 2003 uzj100 with almost half a million kms. He drove that while his new lc300 was being worked on for engine issues....
How is the v6 diesel doing?

NomadDan

Follower
Reactions
There seems to be quite a few people reporting seized V35 engines that have had main bearing failures. Now there’s the fuel line recall too. [Edit: I should be more specific…the issues I’m reading about are related to the Tundra. Not sure about other vehicles with the V35]

There’s a good number of people who were concerned about the reliability of a TT V6 compared to a NA V8, and I was hoping Toyota could pull off a TT V6 without any issues, but it seems those concerns were valid. Hopefully the T24 has less problems.

Last edited: