Sulu

Expert
Reactions
TNGA-A platform? When I see this name, it brings up images of a smaller than compact (TNGA-C), sub-Yaris (TNGA-B), supermini platform (TNGA-A?), not a sporty RWD platform.

And I doubt that it would be an all-new platform, given Lexus' plans to offer only BEVs within an automotive generation or two.

NomadDan

Follower
Reactions
I do think we will see another BOF platform too. Everyone keeps saying the 4Runner, Tacoma, GX, and Prado will be TNGA-F based, but I don’t see it. It’ll have to be smaller, similar to how there are numerous unibody platforms. All I’ve heard from Toyota is that it will have TNGA-F architecture, but that’s not saying it’s TNGA-F.

It’ll also be interesting to see what happens with the Hilux, Foretuner, and Innova. They all share a platform now, but would they also have their own TNGA based BOF platform, or will they end up sharing the same platform as the Prado, etc?

Personally, I think we will end up seeing three different TNGA BOF platforms.

Last edited:

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
I do think we will see another BOF platform too. Everyone keeps saying the 4Runner, Tacoma, GX, and Prado will be TNGA-F based, but I don’t see it. It’ll have to be smaller, similar to how there are numerous unibody platforms. All I’ve heard from Toyota is that it will have TNGA-F architecture, but that’s not saying it’s TNGA-F.

It’ll also be interesting to see what happens with the Hilux, Foretuner, and Innova. They all share a platform now, but would they also have their own TNGA based BOF platform, or will they end up sharing the same platform as the Prado, etc.

Personally, I think we will end up seeing three different BOF platforms.
The J300/Tundra/Sequoia use TNGA-F1 is full size TNGA-F. So the smaller trucks may use "TNGA-F2"

NomadDan

Follower
Reactions
The J300/Tundra/Sequoia use TNGA-F1 is full size TNGA-F. So the smaller trucks may use "TNGA-F2"
Interesting. That would make sense. I didn’t realize Toyota used any suffixes on their TNGA nomenclature. Thanks for the info!

b.ba

Fan
Reactions

It’ll also be interesting to see what happens with the Hilux, Foretuner, and Innova. They all share a platform now, but would they also have their own TNGA based BOF platform, or will they end up sharing the same platform as the Prado, etc?

Personally, I think we will end up seeing three different TNGA BOF platforms.
I've read reports that the new Innova will on the TNGA-C platform?

1667252362010.png

Sulu

Expert
Reactions
If the spyshots attached to the following article are of the new Innova, they would seem to confirm that the next-generation model will go on a FWD-based platform.

toyota-innova-zenix-spyshot-india-2.jpg

That long front overhang and close proximity of the front wheelwell to the front door is typical of transverse-engine FWD vehicles (like the TNGA-C platform).

The Toyota IMV platform upon which the Innova rests was meant to be a cheap platform for less-developed nations (Thailand, Indonesia, etc.). I guess the TNGA platform is now cheap enough to keep prices down in those countries.

Kelvin2020

Follower
Reactions

JustADude

Follower
Reactions
Well Best Car is still saying the IS will still be a bev. We've heard so much from the IS for the past 4 years. This 2021 was gonna be shared with the Mazda 6 platform, then it's gonna be an ev in 2025, now also hearing that it'll still be ICE in 2025. Gosh.

dylanfoos

Follower
Reactions
Well Best Car is still saying the IS will still be a bev. We've heard so much from the IS for the past 4 years. This 2021 was gonna be shared with the Mazda 6 platform, then it's gonna be an ev in 2025, now also hearing that it'll still be ICE in 2025. Gosh.
Really hope to have some solid confirmed news here soon… The IS may be a great option for me in 2025 if I can’t afford the LFA2 😂.

Kelvin2020

Follower
Reactions
Nobody should have believed this. If people rubbed their brain cells together they would know that it would make absolutely zero sense for Lexus to take this route.

The people who made up this rumor and added more fuel to the fire were simply insane.
will the next gen IS benefit from the new GT3 car?

Gor134

Admirer
Reactions
Nobody should have believed this. If people rubbed their brain cells together they would know that it would make absolutely zero sense for Lexus to take this route.

The people who made up this rumor and added more fuel to the fire were simply insane.

That's a little excessive. IMO it was very believable, and it is possible it was even in development at one point before being cancelled and the '21 refresh being chosen instead.

JustADude

Follower
Reactions

Well that wasn't all, it was supposed to get the T24A, they said that all the way back in 2018-2019 if you can remember. T24A was supposed to debut in the IS as it came out of Japan. Made it believable.

Reactions
That's a little excessive. IMO it was very believable, and it is possible it was even in development at one point before being cancelled and the '21 refresh being chosen instead.

It's not excessive. In no way were Lexus going to start suddenly using the Mazda inline-six engines after there were leaks talking about their power figures, which was less or right around where Lexus' powertrains already push out in overall output.

Speaking of platform, Lexus would either do the unthinkable and convert all of their vehicles to TNGA-K, or they'd jump to EV's quicker with the eTNGA platform, or they'd actually build a TNGA-L IS, which was next to impossible due to packaging issues. All of these were more likely than a Mazda platform.

And YET people kept believing it.
will the next gen IS benefit from the new GT3 car?
The GR GT3/Lexus GT3 is its own behemoth. It is yet to be seen whether the IS will start utilizing a similar platform (TNGA-A) should it remain as an ICE vehicle or it would jump straight to being an EV with the eTNGA platform.

The only thing that confuses me and prevents me from giving you a straight answer is listening to the recent announcements where Toyota wants essentially start over on their EV plans. So instead of having a hybrid eTNGA platform, they'll move more towards having a separate platform for ICEs/Hybrids/PHEVs vehicles with their unique production lines and have a completely different platform for EVs. I'm thinking that this change will already push back Toyota and Lexus' goals for their electrification quotas (be it Hybrids/HEVs/PHEVs/BEVs) by many, many years. So will they build the next IS on the eTNGA platform because they've been already working on it? Or will they utilize elements of the new TNGA-A platform?

Reactions
Well that wasn't all, it was supposed to get the T24A, they said that all the way back in 2018-2019 if you can remember. T24A was supposed to debut in the IS as it came out of Japan. Made it believable.
At least that one was way more believable. But shocking that they did not deliver on that.

Gor134

Admirer
Reactions
It's not excessive. In no way were Lexus going to start suddenly using the Mazda inline-six engines after there were leaks talking about their power figures, which was less or right around where Lexus' powertrains already push out in overall output.

Speaking of platform, Lexus would either do the unthinkable and convert all of their vehicles to TNGA-K, or they'd jump to EV's quicker with the eTNGA platform, or they'd actually build a TNGA-L IS, which was next to impossible due to packaging issues. All of these were more likely than a Mazda platform.

And YET people kept believing it.

Well the rumours I remember was saying it would be a collaboration platform and collaboration motor, obviously not blatantly putting a Mazda-spec motor into a Mazda platform. Obviously the final products would've been way more individualized and effort put into if it were true.

Given both the true next gen IS was cancelled early in favour of the facelift as well as the Mazda6 sedan, we'll never know if there was a collaboration effort, not to mention Carmaker1 had previously alluded to there being a potential partnership for this, before it was known to be cancelled.

There have been NUMEROUS rumours out of Japan about the possible Mazda/Lexus venture in 2018-2020, clearly there was a basis to these otherwise there wouldn't be as many reports on this, nor supporters of this in the forums like CM1.

Either way we're way past that, and we've got to see what Toyota's going to do for their future i6. I STILL think there is a possibility they will use a reworked version of the Mazda i6, one that they build off of if they do collaborate on it, or slap two G16s together or something. Who knows? Either way, it's not very far fetched at all.

EDIT: And yes, at the end of the day rumours are rumour, but there's so much that happens behind closed doors and get cancelled that you can never really know what is true or not. Unfair to undermine those who actually believed these rumours, as there was a strong basis for it when it came out.

dylanfoos

Follower
Reactions
Different topic... But, are we going to be hearing anything regarding the RCF/RC? Nothing on the Lexus website regarding the 2023 version, everything else in the performance section has been updated with 2023 options...

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
I just want a BEV that drives well and will last well beyond my wife's Macan EV --- so IS (or slightly smaller) BEV with TVD! Don't even care about the battery technology anymore lol.