Lexus Has Cancelled the GS Sedan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Will1991

Reactions
Worst one comes from Toyota Europe, trying to kill the Corolla for the Auris.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Very hard to believe this. It has to come in some form or the other. Lexus GC? Lexus BEV rival for Audi's eTron GT/Porsche Taycan/Mercedes EQS? That might be the only logical reason for its cancellation. But does TMC have a ground-up BEV only platform?

By the way, Cadillac is coming with a 650 PS supercharged V8 RWD 6MT CT5-V. Last manual executive sedan.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I know a lot of people are still swallowing this news after years of hope and deciding to ignore rumors, but this is probably a good time for many of us to level set with reality about who Lexus is now. Confirmed death of the GS is a pretty watershed moment.

I fell in love with Lexus in 1997 when the GS 400 came out... then we had hits like the 2001 IS, 2001 SC 430, the 2004 LS refresh, 2006 IS, 2008 IS F, the LFA in 2010, then (IMO) the last great Lexus moment was the reveal of the LC 500. Lexus used to be a company with entry level, badge engineered Toyota products like the ES and RX that served as the gateway drugs to a robust portfolio of dedicated, RWD, premium products that were class leading, unique and compelling.

Those days are over, whether you want to blame the economy, emission standards, Toyota, Lexus, or anyone else.

The way forward for Lexus is a portfolio that is 85% badge engineered Toyota products with a top layer of RWD flagship vehicles like LS and LC. Is it as bad as Acura and Infiniti? No. Is it as good as BMW and Mercedes? Also no. Current Lexus products aren't bad, but the company is fundamentally different from the one I fell in love with in the late 90s. We can all accept a little change, but this prolonged death of what we all once loved was hard to watch.

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
Hoping this will lead to a much better 4IS (current one is good except for fuel economy) and whatever next gen LS.

Yeah that GS from the mid 90's was one of my dream cars. My brother even bought a used SC in the late 90's. They looked really good and sporty.

mikeavelli

Reactions
I went to bed early, work up upset. We all kind of knew the writing was on the wall. Still I’m distraught.

The knife in the back is knowing Toyota gets a RWD, LS based car in the next year or so and the GS dies.

This will be very hard for me to get over and understand.

GS 400 Modified
GS 430 Modified
GS 450h Modified
GS 350 F-Sport owner (wife) Modified
Built GS F for Lexus Southern

Last edited:

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
I'm almost thinking Lexus is right-sizing its offerings in the attempt to offer more fun to drive BEVs down the road. Hopefully the GS will be resurrected in 2025/26 if not sooner.

I think it's much easier to offer BEVs in the Lexus line up first because they come with higher margins and because Toyota keeps harping on the scarcity of battery supplies (li-ion batteries). I think this will change with the Li-S SSB.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Wrong. The reason Toyota pivoted and reimagined the Mirai as a RWD premium luxury product is because they realized there is no way to sell a $50k econobox, even if it ran on hydrogen and only emitted water. How do you make an appealing buying case for hydrogen technology? You put it in a package that feels like it justifies the price tag. That is: premium RWD chassis, Lexus interior, Lexus engineering and 11th hour Toyota exterior styling.

Why do you think Tesla is so successful as a luxury brand? They charge absurd amounts of money for cars with interiors equal to a $35k econo cars... but it is the overall package with batteries and being a tech leader that people are willing to pay $$ for, which helps to return a profit.

The best case showcase AND business case for hydrogen FCV would have been a (more premium) Lexus rather than a Toyota. In my .02: ultra dramatic four door, LC-inspired coupe with hydrogen tech, reimagined as the GS or whatever else you want to call it.

In this market, selling a $50k+ sedan from a mainstream brand is really quite stupid. Nobody is buying sedans, let alone $50k experiments from a brand that is known for selling $25k basic transportation.

You make a good point but for my side of the argument :)

What about 180hp Toyota FCV gives you an impression that it would be a good Tesla fighter? That vehicle is OPPOSITE of what Tesla sells - high technology and acceleration in cheap package. Mirai is traditional Toyota technology (infotaiment) that you can get in Corolla and acceleration from... Camry, in beautiful, high quality package. So completely opposite of Tesla.

And I am not wrong at all, most people in Europe and around the world never heard of Lexus or know they can buy a Lexus.
It would be complete mistake for them to sell FCV as Lexus today. It makes no sense at all. Countries that are trying to push FCVs, barely have any Lexus dealerships.

As to nobody will buy a sedan, then I guess here is your reason that GS was cancelled.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
The first hybrid was a Toyota Prius, not a Lexus. But because the market is BEV ready (while not totally profitable and established) Lexus can build a BEV right away. HFCEVs have a long way yet. What Prius did for HEVs/PHEVs, Tesla did for BEVs. Someone has to do it for HFCEVs.

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
True.

I think Toyota had to experiment on a Prius first. Took them at least a generation or two to iron out the kinks. With the transition to BEVs, there is no need for re-learning proven by how quickly they can offer BEVs in the Chinese market.

As Ssun mentioned, the HEV, PHEV and BEV batteries will different in capacities and charge/discharge rates (therefore performance and operational characteristics) but I'm sure Toyota has a good handle of those nuances.

Reactions
I remember this article pretty fondly, because this generation almost didn't happen (Prior to TLE being started)

mikeavelli

Reactions
Hey mikeavelli quick question when you got your new LC did you think about getting a GSF at all? Just wondering I know how passionate you are about the GS! Not saying the LC was a wrong choice at all!

I thought about it but the looks and updates to the LC had my heart. The best two driving Lexus currently are the LC and GS F in regards to sport. Have yet to drive updated RC F/Track. I am right now texting a friend to maybe pick up a yellow one.

When the GS F initially debuted I tried to buy one. When the numbers came back they were very high. This was to replace the LS F-Sport. Some at Lexus USA was in the loop as I had big plans for that car. Didn’t make financial sense for me at the time.

Fast forward to 2019 and I told my wife go for the LS F-Sport or GS F to replace RX F-Sport. I then stayed out of her hair and buying decision. She came home with an ES F-Sport. It became crystal clear the problem they were having as my own household went for the ES. Oh the cruel irony. It is the best ES ever, no doubt. It is no GS or LS. Now I’m wishing I forced my hand, got taxed by her and had a GS F here.

I can’t explain enough how good the GS F is, the GS F-Sport and even a luxury or base GS. The car is tuned right out the gate. It is lively and full of energy. A writer would call it “soul”. The interior is fantastic . So are the seats. Good tech. Decent back seat and trunk. It is unbelievable it’s gone. I haven’t moved much today.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
You make a good point but for my side of the argument :)

What about 180hp Toyota FCV gives you an impression that it would be a good Tesla fighter? That vehicle is OPPOSITE of what Tesla sells - high technology and acceleration in cheap package. Mirai is traditional Toyota technology (infotaiment) that you can get in Corolla and acceleration from... Camry, in beautiful, high quality package. So completely opposite of Tesla.

And I am not wrong at all, most people in Europe and around the world never heard of Lexus or know they can buy a Lexus.
It would be complete mistake for them to sell FCV as Lexus today. It makes no sense at all. Countries that are trying to push FCVs, barely have any Lexus dealerships.

As to nobody will buy a sedan, then I guess here is your reason that GS was cancelled.

I didn't realize Mirai specs were out. Do you have a link?

Seems to me that Lexus is available in most of Europe, Japan, China and Korea. What major hydrogen markets am I missing? A $50k+ Toyota sedan will see the same existence as the VW Phaeton, Chevrolet SS, Hyundai Equus and Kia K900... we have plenty of history for this exercise.

Plenty of people buy sedans - when the product and the brand match the asking price. Lexus decided to kill GS for a FWD Camry-based car that was a value leader with more space, similar size, and $15k less. That is why the GS was cancelled. See: ES history, evolution and sales figures.

James

Founding Member
Reactions
I thought about it but the looks and updates to the LC had my heart. The best two driving Lexus currently are the LC and GS F in regards to sport. Have yet to drive updated RC F/Track. I am right now texting a friend to maybe pick up a yellow one.

When the GS F initially debuted I tried to buy one. When the numbers came back they were very high. This was to replace the LS F-Sport. Some at Lexus USA was in the loop as I had big plans for that car. Didn’t make financial sense for me at the time.

Fast forward to 2019 and I told my wife go for the LS F-Sport or GS F to replace RX F-Sport. I then stayed out of her hair and buying decision. She came home with an ES F-Sport. It became crystal clear the problem they were having as my own household went for the ES. Oh the cruel irony. It is the best ES ever, no doubt. It is no GS or LS. Now I’m wishing I forced my hand, got taxed by her and had a GS F here.

I can’t explain enough how good the GS F is, the GS F-Sport and even a luxury or base GS. The car is tuned right out the gate. It is lively and full of energy. A writer would call it “soul”. The interior is fantastic . So are the seats. Good tech. Decent back seat and trunk. It is unbelievable it’s gone. I haven’t moved much today.
I understand wanting to stay out of the way of your wife's decision hoping she'd pick the right one...and I don't think anyone would disagree that the LC to look at is just incredible and the drive is great as well.

Yeah I didn't have to leave the house today but I went to the gas station purely to get out in my GS. It was something so different this morning and I only drove like 4 miles total. I haven't really driven it much the last month because of working from home but I keep going back and thank God my wife gave me the go ahead to get it when I did and that I got the GS instead of the ES. Agree best ES ever but no GS.

I've never really thought that much of buying it once my lease is up but I think I really will think about it. My wife doesn't really want another NX (now that could change when we get the new one out!) and I don't really want an older model GX or LX until it's updated. Depending on the status of new IS and LF1 (when it comes out in 2022) the best option might be my GS and I think I would be okay with that. She's a beauty and well below on miles already.

It's truly a shame that the news is official.

Sad day for Lexus and GS fans, owners, and enthusiasts.

FFFF.

LexsCTJill

Follower
Reactions
Lexus used to be a company with entry level, badge engineered Toyota products like the ES and RX that served as the gateway drugs to a robust portfolio of dedicated, RWD, premium products that were class leading, unique and compelling.

This was always the case with Toyota....before Lexus, Toyota had premium RWD cars for the US....The Cressida with the I6, Supra and Land Crusier all come to mind......The first gen GS Lexus was also shared with Toyota Crown for Japan and the early SC models were platformed off the Supra at the time.

mikeavelli

Reactions
This was always the case with Toyota....before Lexus, Toyota had premium RWD cars for the US....The Cressida with the I6, Supra and Land Crusier all come to mind......The first gen GS Lexus was also shared with Toyota Crown for Japan and the early SC models were platformed off the Supra at the time.

They are RWD but not really premium at the time. The Cressida was not cross shopped with the C class etc.

As the Land Cruiser moved upscale then it became a Lexus. That was 1995 or so.

I don’t think the Supra shared platforms, just engines but I could be wrong.

mikeavelli

Reactions
I understand wanting to stay out of the way of your wife's decision hoping she'd pick the right one...and I don't think anyone would disagree that the LC to look at is just incredible and the drive is great as well.

Yeah I didn't have to leave the house today but I went to the gas station purely to get out in my GS. It was something so different this morning and I only drove like 4 miles total. I haven't really driven it much the last month because of working from home but I keep going back and thank God my wife gave me the go ahead to get it when I did and that I got the GS instead of the ES. Agree best ES ever but no GS.

I've never really thought that much of buying it once my lease is up but I think I really will think about it. My wife doesn't really want another NX (now that could change when we get the new one out!) and I don't really want an older model GX or LX until it's updated. Depending on the status of new IS and LF1 (when it comes out in 2022) the best option might be my GS and I think I would be okay with that. She's a beauty and well below on miles already.

It's truly a shame that the news is official.

Sad day for Lexus and GS fans, owners, and enthusiasts.

FFFF.

GS is a keeper. Just a fantastic car. Yeah working from home the cars just sit. I think you inspired me to go for a drive today. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.