Lexus Has Cancelled the GS Sedan

Status
Not open for further replies.

bogglo

Admirer
Reactions
The GS is my first recommendation to anybody that asks me what car should I buy. I totaled my first 3GS got the insurance money and bought another one. the 4GS in 2013 did not interest me simply because I preferred the looks of the 3GS to the 4GS in 2013 and the engine and transmission are the same. That was the mistake LEXUS made if they had bumped the power on the GS in 2013 we would be having a different conversation about the GS today. in 2016 I was out of the country so it took me a while before I saw the changes made to the looks in 2016. But the day I saw the GSF in person I knew I wanted one. Lexus could have easily scared the **** out of the Germans as they did with the 2GS if they had bumped up the power of the GS in 2013 because we all see what the GS did to all of them in the handling department.

Anyways I guess the GS followed in the footstep of the great SC (another car Lexus messed up on. it should have received the 460 engine just like the LS and GS did in 2007/2008) Hopefully it returns in a better form like the LC. If people love the next Mirai it might give them an Idea.

BTW
I want a GSF but with the LC now going for as low as $60,000 placed me at a crossroad HEEEEELLLLPPP!! lol

Levi

Expert
Reactions
It a shame such great cars are so undervalued/rated. The power of badge. But why can't TMC turn Lexus into a powerful badge, if business is hardcore math and science? Maybe because it is not?

bogglo

Admirer
Reactions
It a shame such great cars are so undervalued/rated. The power of badge. But why can't TMC turn Lexus into a powerful badge, if business is hardcore math and science? Maybe because it is not?
Yeah it is and like you said the badge played a role in it. I told my dad yesterday he couldn't believe it. But I will assume it stay around that price for a while. Especially if lexus pull an ISF move on it. It might also be another SC. It's surprising how hard it is to find an SC below 10k with reasonable mileage

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Yeah it is and like you said the badge played a role in it. I told my dad yesterday he couldn't believe it. But I will assume it stay around that price for a while. Especially if lexus pull an ISF move on it. It might also be another SC. It's surprising how hard it is to find an SC below 10k with reasonable mileage

Those in the know can't let their old Lexus go for a small price. I'm looking for an IS Sportcross. But others are not interested in these even for small price. Used Lexus are expensive, new/young they are the best value.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Reading online, the GS guys have no interest in a 203hp ES. Their remarks were not kind lol. Many state they are going German or to Genesis. The IS didn't grow big enough and with the same engine there is little interest in that either. The LS is never really mentioned. So they don't really have a Lexus or Toyota option. The 2021 Mirai is hydrogen and probably only going to be sold in a couple of states.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
Same thing I have been said from over year ago

That's why I declare that I will just use my GS-F until I see another new variant , then I will put the GS-F in the garage as a collectable

I may even go with Crown if it has LHD I don't know, but really if there's a current crown with the V6 hybrid, I will go for it

Reactions
Lexus messed up on their 5LS, they axed their low volume GS, with only a refreshed IS, and they're axing the development of low volume V8 TT's - ultimately to focus on the future - electrification with battery powered electric vehicles...

supra93

Expert
Reactions
Anyone else think they should have just sold the upcoming Mirai as a Lexus? It even already has half of the Spindle grille :p

toyota-mirai-01.jpg

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
Me neither
To sell a lexus clone under lexus brand is just insane

In short TMC needs to define the line between Toyota & Lexus and if they want to kill Lexus altogether or change its position

supra93

Expert
Reactions
My bad, didn't mean to imply they should just slap on a Lexus badge and call it day. New body panels and a rework interior. From what I understand the Mirai is heavily related to Crown; which shares the same platform with past GS' no?

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
My bad, didn't mean to imply they should just slap on a Lexus badge and call it day. New body panels and a rework interior. From what I understand the Mirai is heavily related to Crown; which shares the same platform with past GS' no?

Ah I gotcha. Read back a bit in this thread. The GS was killed late term and became the Mirai - it was HEAVILY discussed. 🙂

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
The new Crown and new Mirai both have the new GA-N not the old N platform
Both are Ns I know and this is the reason for the misthinking

The Previous Crown share the same N platform with IS / GS / RC & Mark

Reactions
TMC has stopped development of V8 TT, most probably to focus on electrification esp BEVs.
Ending development of 5GS is also most probably to focus on electrification too.

Due to existence of the midsize luxury FWD-based 7ES, the 5GS cannot sell in sufficient volume to warrant a major reskin like 2021 3.5IS.
4IS and 5GS will most probably be based on Mazda's forthcoming premium in-line six mild hybrid with rear wheel drive.

It is unlikely that a reskinned Toyota Mirai II can replace GS, because Mirai II is hydrogen fuel cell powered, and there is lack of hydrogen infrastructure around the world.
Only a reskinned Toyota Crown could replace the GS because both are traditional gasoline powered.

The previous 2005-12 3GS, 2006-13 2IS, 2006-17 4LS and 2003-18 Toyota Crown - all used the Toyota N Platform, while the 2012-20 4GS and 2013-onwards 3IS used an updated version called the Toyota New N Platform.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
We can revisit this thread if there is ever further information on the GS.

Been a good run, and all good things must come to an end.

Status
Not open for further replies.