Lexus Has Cancelled the GS Sedan

Status
Not open for further replies.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
Honestly guys, that's exactly what I was talking about way long time ago

The GS is just a reflection of the spider strategy of the past, in the past Toyota was literally killing itself by cheap materials and bad design just to promote Lexus which was a very bad move

James

Founding Member
Reactions
FFFF

Sad day for sure but really glad I got my GS in 18. That’s why I went for it knowing that it could soon be gone from us. I’ll have a new feeling when I get into my GS next.

FFFF

Sebass

Follower
Reactions
Honestly guys, that's exactly what I was talking about way long time ago

The GS is just a reflection of the spider strategy of the past, in the past Toyota was literally killing itself by cheap materials and bad design just to promote Lexus which was a very bad move
Yeah, either end of the spectrum of "do we cheapen Lexus, or cheapen Toyota?" are pretty crap..

Sebass

Follower
Reactions
FFFF

Sad day for sure but really glad I got my GS in 18. That’s why I went for it knowing that it could soon be gone from us. I’ll have a new feeling when I get into my GS next.

FFFF
That was a good move man, I hope you enjoy your GS.

FFFF

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
Audi - VaG living together happily

Genesis - Hyundai started doing the Spider thing again as Toyota and the Japanese and soon will have the same fate

Honda and Nissan did the same thing, but vice versa, they killed Acura and Infiniti respectively for their own life

Last edited:

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Guess what? Cadillac China has launched a massive ad campaign called 'no RWD no luxury' to promote the CT4 and it seems to work well despite of COVID-19. Mercedes and BMW are also piling on to put pressure on Audi. It looks like Cadillac is very determined to protect its 4th place against Lexus, especially the ES, with this move.

Only time will tell if Lexus made a correct decision with the killing of GS.

Sebass

Follower
Reactions
Guess what? Cadillac China has launched a massive ad campaign called 'no RWD no luxury' to promote the CT4 and it seems to work well despite of COVID-19. Mercedes and BMW are also piling on to put pressure on Audi. It looks like Cadillac is very determined to protect its 4th place against Lexus, especially the ES, with this move.

Dang, I really feel like Cadillac just gave Lexus their middle finger. 😆 Toyota kind of gave us the middle finger by stealing our 5GS though.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions

we all know that it's not the right move
Oh Lord, I feel even Lexus/Toyota knew it
But, it must come

Because of ES they lost the long loved Mark, the GS and soon they may even lose the Avalon despite its selling numbers

It's very unprofessional to killing 3 long lived, 2 of them are beloved FR just for 1 car

I said it a lot of times here and everywhere with this scenario Lexus will be in middle road between the existence of the ES and the existence of the Lexus brand itself

Honestly within another decade if this continues we can see the annihilation of the Lexus brand

the luxury fit & finish in the current Toyota product, makes the brand itself entering by time into the premium car brands, and the customers around the world already digested this and we started to see Toyota as a brand from totally different perspective

Frankly speaking, Lexus current situation is not good that it will be easy to kill the brand tomorrow, without any problem and the few fresh product in Lexus stable can be Toyota, same as what Toyota itself did back with Scion brand

Last edited:

Sebass

Follower
Reactions
Yeah ouch!

I mean they did already, The CTS V-Sport made 420hp and the CTS-v made 650...
Your absolutely correct, I was looking at some Car and Driver reviews of the Cadillac CTS V-sport, and of the GS F, (two separate articles) and let's just say the results were grim. The starting prices for these cars are 62k for the Caddy and 85k for the GS F, so already the GS better be miles better if it wants to justify costing 23k more! According to C&D, The Caddy got to 60 mph in 4.5 seconds, and the GS was just 0.1 seconds faster! This ain't so good, but maybe the V8 will bring the Lexus victory in the 1/4 mile right? WRONG! both cars finished the sprint in the exact same time, 12.9 seconds. Now don't get me wrong, speed isn't everything, and if both cars were to cost the same, the GS F would undoubtedly be the better car, with a far better engine and much better quality. However, they don't cost the same and the Caddy significantly undercuts the GS F. Come to think of it, all of the GS F's competitors, (E53 AMG, BMW M550i, Audi S6, and the Cadillac) outperform the GS F in outright performance and cost less. Really, everyone in this segment has given Lexus the middle finger. (I don't want anyone to take this as me hating on the GS F, it has undoubtedly the best engine in its class, and Matt Farah's review really well illustrates how good it is).

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
Your absolutely correct, I was looking at some Car and Driver reviews of the Cadillac CTS V-sport, and of the GS F, (two separate articles) and let's just say the results were grim. The starting prices for these cars are 62k for the Caddy and 85k for the GS F, so already the GS better be miles better if it wants to justify costing 23k more! According to C&D, The Caddy got to 60 mph in 4.5 seconds, and the GS was just 0.1 seconds faster! This ain't so good, but maybe the V8 will bring the Lexus victory in the 1/4 mile right? WRONG! both cars finished the sprint in the exact same time, 12.9 seconds. Now don't get me wrong, speed isn't everything, and if both cars were to cost the same, the GS F would undoubtedly be the better car, with a far better engine and much better quality. However, they don't cost the same and the Caddy significantly undercuts the GS F. Come to think of it, all of the GS F's competitors, (E53 AMG, BMW M550i, Audi S6, and the Cadillac) outperform the GS F in outright performance and cost less. Really, everyone in this segment has given Lexus the middle finger. (I don't want anyone to take this as me hating on the GS F, it has undoubtedly the best engine in its class, and Matt Farah's review really well illustrates how good it is).

Not only the best engine note
But also the best handling period

I already have a white GS-F, and it's the superior handling saloon I ever driven or tested

Numbers not everything, you won't find in any current or past car a drive like this, wow the way it take tight corners, this alone easily makes it from another league

Sebass

Follower
Reactions
Not only the best engine note
But also the best handling period

I already have a white GS-F, and it's the superior handling saloon I ever driven or tested

Numbers not everything, you won't find in any current or past car a drive like this, wow the way it take tight corners, this alone easily makes it from another league
I absolutely support your purchase and in regards to the car's handling, I don't know if you have seen Matt Farah's review of the GS F, but in that video, he praises the Handling almost non-stop. That is why I mentioned it. I agree that numbers aren't everything and sometimes the best things about cars are the things you can't explain with numbers or a graph. But in my very humble opinion, the GS F should have cost 20k less, and it should have been a competitor to the E53 AMG, M550i, S6, and not a competitor to the M5, RS7, and E63 s. Once again, I have no doubt that the GS F is the best handling vehicle amongst its competitors, and I would still say it is my favorite car amongst the mid-performance luxury sedans. However, when you look at price, performance, and the age of the vehicles, the German competitors are the better value (not considering reliability, lol) The GS F is best in white by the way, and I am highly jealous. Sick car my dude! 👍

Here is Matt Farah's review, please watch it, I don't want you to think I am oblivious to non-number related aspects of cars.

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
Wrong. The reason Toyota pivoted and reimagined the Mirai as a RWD premium luxury product is because they realized there is no way to sell a $50k econobox, even if it ran on hydrogen and only emitted water. How do you make an appealing buying case for hydrogen technology? You put it in a package that feels like it justifies the price tag. That is: premium RWD chassis, Lexus interior, Lexus engineering and 11th hour Toyota exterior styling.

Why do you think Tesla is so successful as a luxury brand? They charge absurd amounts of money for cars with interiors equal to a $35k econo cars... but it is the overall package with batteries and being a tech leader that people are willing to pay $$ for, which helps to return a profit.

The best case showcase AND business case for hydrogen FCV would have been a (more premium) Lexus rather than a Toyota. In my .02: ultra dramatic four door, LC-inspired coupe with hydrogen tech, reimagined as the GS or whatever else you want to call it.

In this market, selling a $50k+ sedan from a mainstream brand is really quite stupid. Nobody is buying sedans, let alone $50k experiments from a brand that is known for selling $25k basic transportation.

More like $50+k sedans that drive no different from $30k sedans. :)

Put in torque vectoring on these an now we are talking.

Reactions
It happened...... It really f*cking happened. They took away my baby. My favorite car. I may or may not be emotional right now. F*ck it. I don't give a flying sh*t about "masculinity". Tears have welled up in my eyes. F*CKING HELL! WHYYY?

This final confirmation from Lexus has ruined my year. 2020 couldn't have gotten any worse (first world problems I know, I know, there are way more tragic things to genuinely be upset about but as an enthusiast this was the cherry on top). It's interesting because I was one of the first to officially say that it will die either last year or this year but I still wouldn't believe that they would have the audacity to do this.

I'll never get to buy a GS F new will I? :'(

So now what? Will these guys actually bring the ES upmarket or are they going to keep it as a glorified Toyota Avalon and spit in our faces? I just hope they realize that they've just murdered the BEST car that's graced in their lineup in cold blood.

Now the only two cars from Lexus I'm interested in are ~$100,000, the LS and the LC. Well, if this is their strategy to push me away and make me gawk at Mercedes-Benzes, Porsches, BMWs and Toyotas, then I will just yeet myself out of here. The GS was the only car in the lineup that put Lexus in the world's stage in terms of a true luxury brand with SERIOUS sporting characteristics and credibility. Discontinuing this car has single-handedly destroyed any shred of credibility they have left, and please, don't tell me about the RC F as a response. That porker is literally the worst RWD based car Lexus builds right now and to say that the car is a disappointment is me being really kind to it. So I won't be, it's actually f*cking sh*t.

Honestly, like the LFA, the GS was too good for Lexus. Lexus doesn't deserve to have the GS bless their lineup and the GS doesn't deserve to be treated by the sh*tstains that's the Lexus dealer network and the company.

I will utter the words of Jeremy Clarkson when he described the LFA to describe the GS in that the GS was so damn good, that the engineers that built it don't even know how to make it again.

Last edited:
Reactions
Lexus GS Cross is coming soon.

Yaris Cross then soon a Corolla Cross.

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO, do not even try to SUGGEST this as these psychos will get the idea and actually butcher the legacy of the GS by making a *shudders* "GS Cross". I'm betting nobody from Lexus reads these forums but I swear to god that if Lexus happens to read this and gets the idea of building one and even CONSIDERS it let alone building it I will actually go insane.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
Lexus GS Cross is coming soon.

Yaris Cross then soon a Corolla Cross.

Honestly if Lexus don't want to pay any more R&D costs for GS, they can give the world the Crown as GS after changing the nose to Lexus nose and make the LF-1 limitless as the next GX

The G is synonymous within Toyota Corp and among Toyota/Lexus enthusiast as the ultimate sporty

If we add the rumours that the next IS maybe based on Mazda new 6i that may complete the whole story, "LEXUS WON'T PUT ANY MORE R&D ON BOTH GS & IS, BUT THEY WON'T DELETE THEM EITHER, INSTEAD THEY WILL BE REBADGED" and honestly if that's the case, I will be sad but in the same time happy that they will stay

The future will tell us what they will do with GS as a model and all Lexus as brand!

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
It's very unprofessional to killing 3 long lived, 2 of them are beloved FR just for 1 car
Japanese brands have a habit of killing decade-old model names only to restart a new model and build recognition from scratch and completely throw away tradition, legacy and customer loyalty.

Toyota: Avensis, Carina, Celica, Corona (well can't blame them now), FJ, Mark family (including Cressida Cresta and Chaser), MR2, Soarer, Starlet.
Nissan: Bluebird, Cedric, Cefiro, Laurel, President, Silvia, Sunny, Xterra. Infiniti completely rebooted with the Q/QX.
Honda: Integra and Prelude. Good job! But lots of Acuras gone and it's still a complete mess.
Mitsubishi: Do they still make cars?
Mazda: their current number system is actually much better than the chaos in the Bubble Era.

Toyota and Nissan are particularly bad since many models they killed used to be their best and most iconic but sacrificed after struggling for a generation and two. Maybe they think the Bubble Era was such a painful memory it's worth erasing that history.

The same goes for electronic products too. You would think Japanese culture values tradition, legacy and loyalty a lot, but apparently it's not true.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.