5th Generation RX Discussion: Official Thread (RX 500h, 450h+, 350h and More)

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
No more L model it seems which is a good thing. I like that the plastic wheel opening mouldings are gone. That nose however is going to take some getting used to.
Yep. Not a fan of the grill but I am not the target audience anyway, not especially buying the RX new.

Surprised the plug-in is 450 but hybrid gets the 500 designation.

Last edited:

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
The new 500h hybrid system:

>> T24-FTS tuned to 202kW/275PS (-5PS vs. RX350) and 460N.m/339lb.ft (+30N.m vs. RX350). They are approaching 3.0L 6-cylinder levels of torque with this 2.4L engine (B58 base is 450N.m and VR30DDTT is 475N.m).

>> Front axle is P2 Parallel hybrid with 6AT transmission. It doesn't have a 1st gear because it starts in EV-mode and the two motors have enough torque. The ratios are probably also longer because the motor does torque fill for the ICE.

>> Same MG1 and MG2 as bZ4X AWD (80kW/168N.m). Combined torque in the front axle is 550N.m/406lb.ft. The advertised torque does not count the eAxle because it's direct drive and thus not additive with front axle.

>> Battery is bipolar NiMH. They currently don't have a Li-ion battery powerful enough for the application, so they are using bipolar NiMH instead. On the Aqua it is 7 modules with 28.8V each (24 bipolar cells stacked in one module), with double the power of Gen.1 Aqua battery (~42kW). I guess the battery is expanded to 12 modules for 288s1p (345.6V, 1.7kWh, 75kW).

>> The battery contributes at least 72kW to total system power output, so total is 274kW/373PS. Therefore this is to-date the most powerful hybrid battery in any TMC vehicle, in fact 60% higher than the next highest Li-ion battery in LS/LC500h.

P.S. I feel this further proves that the old multi-stage 500h system is a technology dead-end and TMC will not further pursue it in the future. They have already chosen PS for economy and P2 for power. While the multi-stage PS has impressive performance, it's just too complex and expensive.

P.P.S. In transverse form this P2 front axle is limited to 550N.m combined. Theoretically the system should be capable of 628N.m/463lb.ft if this restriction was removed. Therefore I predict the GX550h/Tacoma hybrid will have a similar system in longitudinal layout. 628N.m in a Tacoma will be very hard to beat.

Last edited:
Reactions
Can someone explain what series hybrids and parallel hybrids are? What about PS and P2? Are they the same?

For many years I've had a loose understanding but never the nitty-gritty.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Can someone explain what series hybrids and parallel hybrids are? What about PS and P2? Are they the same?

For many years I've had a loose understanding but never the nitty-gritty.
Series: ICE drives MG1 (generator), MG1 provides power to MG2 (motor) or charges battery. There is no mechanical link between ICE and wheel.

Parallel: ICE drives the wheel through a traditional transmission, MG1 either adds power or regen. There are 5 types of parallel hybrid: P0 (belt-driven motor), P1 (crank-driven motor), P2 (motor in the front of transmission), P3 (motor in the rear of transmission), P4 (motor in the differential). In the case of RX500h is a mix of P2 (front axle) and P4 (rear axle).

Series-Parallel: there are 3 layouts, input-split (Toyota), output-split (GM) and partial series hybrid with engine direct drive (Honda). As the name suggests it's a mix of series and parallel, the wheel is driven both electrically and mechanically.

The most complex is a multi-stage series-parallel. It's a PS hybrid connected to a traditional transmission (2-speed in GS450h, 4-speed in LS/LC500h). The goal is to allow a much wider ratio spread which allows very fast acceleration and very low high-speed noise.

In terms of raw efficiency: series > multi-stage series-parallel > series-parallel > parallel.
In terms of performance: multi-stage series-parallel > parallel > series-parallel > series.
In terms of cost/complexity: parallel < series-parallel ~= series < multi-stage series-parallel.

Deusex

Follower
Reactions
Wow, pleasantly surprised exterior looks really good. Interior could be better but still not bad.
If this is any indication cant wait to see TX and GX next.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
I commented earlier today before the embargo lifted that the RX could punch above its weight with a better interior. With the caveat that I'm not seeing it in person like Mike is, this is the better interior I'd imagined and then some.

RAL

Reactions
After viewing the high resolution pictures on the global newsroom, I think this is one of the best interiors Lexus has ever produced! The attention to detail and apparent quality of material is LC level impressive.

Like Kevin, I found the front fascia jarring at first. But once again the high res pics are slowly bringing me around; especially the Caviar color.

Reactions
Series: ICE drives MG1 (generator), MG1 provides power to MG2 (motor) or charges battery. There is no mechanical link between ICE and wheel.

Parallel: ICE drives the wheel through a traditional transmission, MG1 either adds power or regen. There are 5 types of parallel hybrid: P0 (belt-driven motor), P1 (crank-driven motor), P2 (motor in the front of transmission), P3 (motor in the rear of transmission), P4 (motor in the differential). In the case of RX500h is a mix of P2 (front axle) and P4 (rear axle).

Series-Parallel: there are 3 layouts, input-split (Toyota), output-split (GM) and partial series hybrid with engine direct drive (Honda). As the name suggests it's a mix of series and parallel, the wheel is driven both electrically and mechanically.

The most complex is a multi-stage series-parallel. It's a PS hybrid connected to a traditional transmission (2-speed in GS450h, 4-speed in LS/LC500h). The goal is to allow a much wider ratio spread which allows very fast acceleration and very low high-speed noise.

In terms of raw efficiency: series > multi-stage series-parallel > series-parallel > parallel.
In terms of performance: multi-stage series-parallel > parallel > series-parallel > series.
In terms of cost/complexity: parallel < series-parallel ~= series < multi-stage series-parallel.

This is perfect!!!!!! Thank you very much for kindly bringing us a very thorough explanation.

Motor

Expert
Reactions

RX 500H HEAT SAPHIRE BLUE

1654049916923.jpeg

Reactions
Reactions: RAL

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
RX 500h FSP is making clear why the LF-1 was cancelled, and you know that’s hard for me to admit.

Midsize, two row crossover with 367hp/406lb-ft and a performance AWD system is 95% of what the LF-1 would have been, and that would have required more R&D to bring to market with more compromises (weight, price, space, technology).

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
In terms of the future of Lexus Product Planning some predictions:

RX 500h and the LX600 have put the ceiling and floor of what the GX is going to come packing
Since Lexus is now talking turkey with torque figures:
GX550h has to be between 406 ft/lb (floor) and 479ft/lb (ceiling)
LX650h would have to at least be 583ft/lb to dethrone the sequoia (I'd expect very little improvement here).

Finally with direct 4 being a hot topic today, what then was the vehicle next to the ES direct 4 prototype with some seriously boxy wheel arches and gigantic grill?

shizhi

Follower
Reactions
In terms of the future of Lexus Product Planning some predictions:

RX 500h and the LX600 have put the ceiling and floor of what the GX is going to come packing
Since Lexus is now talking turkey with torque figures:
GX550h has to be between 406 ft/lb (floor) and 479ft/lb (ceiling)
LX650h would have to at least be 583ft/lb to dethrone the sequoia (I'd expect very little improvement here).

Finally with direct 4 being a hot topic today, what then was the vehicle next to the ES direct 4 prototype with some seriously boxy wheel arches and gigantic grill?

A mule based on Highlander