5th Generation (2018+) Lexus LS 500 & LS 500h Megathread

sl0519

Admirer
Reactions

C'mon it's been seven years and no news for redesign? It's such a shame the ES is getting all the attention while this thing is left into oblivion.

ES300h

Fan
Reactions
As much as the press loves to hate on the Camry, it's a great package that hits on exactly what consumers want and need -- and at a reasonable price.

Love to see it.
I believe this was the problem with the LS500. Lexus listened to "journalists" about how the LS460 was too boring and not sporty enough instead of listening to owners. There is a disconnect between what people who are buying cars want and what journalists want. Journalists don't buy vehicles really, they drive a new one every week.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
I believe this was the problem with the LS500. Lexus listened to "journalists" about how the LS460 was too boring and not sporty enough instead of listening to owners. There is a disconnect between what people who are buying cars want and what journalists want. Journalists don't buy vehicles really, they drive a new one every week.
The LS500 (and S220 Crown) were so different because the previous buyer demographics have become so old they cannot get in and out of sedans anymore. So they were trying to aim for a younger demographic who values sportiness than second row comfort.

The problem with boring cars is that dead people don't buy cars. That's why the entire full-size mainstream sedan market is gone.

Flagship1

Follower
Reactions
The LS500 (and S220 Crown) were so different because the previous buyer demographics have become so old they cannot get in and out of sedans anymore. So they were trying to aim for a younger demographic who values sportiness than second row comfort.

The problem with boring cars is that dead people don't buy cars. That's why the entire full-size mainstream sedan market is gone.
and nobody wants a lexus large sedan. The s class has that in the bag, throw the keys out (even true for the other bba).

Hold the Ls ws a place holder until they can figure out a century like suv.

mikeavelli

Reactions
and nobody wants a lexus large sedan. The s class has that in the bag, throw the keys out (even true for the other bba).

Hold the Ls ws a place holder until they can figure out a century like suv.

The LS still sells better than most anything not S class. Thats like saying 7 series, A8, etc etc should just quit,

Berto3818

Follower
Reactions
@Gor134 not meaning to be rude or anything but can you please explain then the total silence behind the next gen LS? We haven’t heard anything and it’s way over due.

Reactions
Even the W223 S-Class has been a letdown compared to the legendary W222 chassis. I honestly think Mercedes-Benz created a car so good that not even they can replicate the magic of that car, at least for a few generations.

As of Q1 2024, the S-Class has been knocked down to THIRD place in the full-size luxury car class for the US market. What's second? The BMW 7-Series. First? Well you'd be surprised to hear that it's the Audi e-Tron GT.

Lexus is hanging on all-right despite it being a bit lackluster of a car. They can easily turn this around with the 6th generation and sell better than cars like the Taycan, and consolidate 4th place.

I personally don't think Lexus messed all that much up by making the car considerably more sporty and it having good driving characteristics. The market is moving towards that direction for luxury cars that aren't a Rolls-Royce or a Mercedes-Maybach. They won by having it sell more than the Panamera and the Quattroporte, which would be the kind of cars that the new LS would compete against. With that said, they used to sell a lot more with the old formula (it could also be the fact that the old LS came exclusively with a V8).

An ideal 6th generation LS for me would be if it moved more close to the original recipe, but still retained a lot of the sportiness that the 5th generation had. Personally I think the biggest dealbreaker for people was that the 5th generation did not have a V8, and I think a V8 as well as more competent hybrid powertrains would be fit for the 6th generation LS.

It's clear that whatever Lexus does, they need to go back to developing new ICE powertrains. There's no arguing around this.

Photo of the sales figures below from goodcarbadcar:

1716824882060.png

Gor134

Admirer
Reactions
I have no explanation other than Lexus's RWD plans being in limbo due to the uncertainty of EV future at the moment. I would think that the LS will see more on the GA-L platform in the future, as we just have a brand new Crown on that platform already.

Berto3818

Follower
Reactions
What about this rumor that the century brand is going to set placed above Lexus? The car and driver report that @Motor just put out was good.

Berto3818

Follower
Reactions
It’s not the best report but it’s points to the simple things it does really well at. I for one don’t want a SCLASS or 7 or even G90 with all that gimmick crap.