5th Generation (2018+) Lexus LS 500 & LS 500h Megathread

pacman1

Fan
Reactions
I would like to add that we seem to forget about rumours considering Toyota Century. If it is true that Toyota Group plans to establish new ultra-luxury brand called Century positioned high above Lexus, it is fully understandable that they won't invest into new LS generation, because new flagship sedan will belong to the new brand.
At the same time, I still remember my Father's first Lexus LS in 2007. I swear, that car was The Chosen One.
Regardless of whether Toyota launches the Century brand, wouldn’t Lexus still need their own flagship? If the Century brand is high above the Lexus brand it wouldn’t be cannibalizing sales from Lexus anyways due to different price points. Not saying you’re wrong, but it doesn’t make sense to me from a financial/logistical standpoint.

Also, this is Toyota. Although I suspect that the Century brand will use a lot of bespoke parts to maintain exclusivity, they need to bring their overall costs down. Sharing things such as chassis for lower volume LS would make sense to water down cost. They can keep Century more exclusive with higher quality interiors, drivetrain, etc.

Kelvin2020

Follower
Reactions
I don't believe the strategy of positioning the Century above Lexus will succeed. Instead, I think they should position the Century as an extension of Lexus, similar to what Mercedes does with Maybach.

Like a Century LS 600

Berto3818

Follower
Reactions
Well we are back at square 1 then. Why haven’t we heard anything? I’m under the assertion that we have it that the LS like the LC are going to put out to paster.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
I don't believe the strategy of positioning the Century above Lexus will succeed. Instead, I think they should position the Century as an extension of Lexus, similar to what Mercedes does with Maybach.

Like a Century LS 600
Are they going to stand up a third dealer network for Century? I can't see any way that making it a full separate brand will work out. Maybach was originally a separate brand too, but it was only really successful when it became a trim level.

Berto3818

Follower
Reactions
@Ian Schmidt that would the only way. You couldn’t sell it as Toyota could you? In their dealerships? I mean this makes sense. Why would they have two when Century is above Lexus?

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Are they going to stand up a third dealer network for Century? I can't see any way that making it a full separate brand will work out. Maybach was originally a separate brand too, but it was only really successful when it became a trim level.

This is the same angle I was thinking about too and it opens up a LOT of questions about an uber luxury Toyota brand. Maybe they could set it up such that the Century owner never has to come to the dealership, but the entire Toyota service department operates very differently from even Lexus, let alone the customer paying $150k+. I'm talking communication, payment, expectations, attitudes, car handling and presentation, etc.

Based on my own experience with both dealerships... I wouldn't pay Century money and deal with a Toyota service department 😬

I actually feel like the Lexus dealer experience has slipped a bit over recent years, but maybe that's a topic for another time.

Sulu

Expert
Reactions
Running a third, separate dealer network would be expensive (regardless of who owns them, Toyota or private). Could they and would they set up a separate dealer network to sell a lineup of just 2 vehicles?

What incremental premium on the cost of the vehicles would have to be charged? Would maintenance and repair services be outrageously expensive?

Toyota, or rather, Lexus could set up a dealer-within-a-dealer in a dedicated section of a Lexus showroom (labelling the Century as a Toyota and setting up the mini-dealership in Toyota showrooms would not work outside of Japan, in my opinion). But this won't work in the long-run; Lexus started this way but, arguably, success of the brand only came when separate Lexus dealerships were established. How successful has Genesis been working out of Hyundai dealerships, or Lincoln operating out of Ford showrooms?

Flagship1

Follower
Reactions
The century moniker would nor be constrained by existing dealer agreements so tmc is free to explore whatever sales channel they prefer. They could go as posh as have a lounge in an upscale neighborhood and clients could virtually build their vehicle, and relationship managers could showcase different interior material appointments. The sky is the limit.

The share the same floor space as other brands isnt going too well based off the other brands.

The biggest hurdle though is establishing a separate brand in todays hyper luxury market. If Toyota has identified a sustainable niche outside of Japan, this might be crazy enough to work. If however their research team is throwing out curve balls like the venza, subbrand crown etc, well.....

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
The share the same floor space as other brands isnt going too well based off the other brands.
Right, that's my thinking too. Genesis never really got off the ground in the US in part because you had to go to a Hyundai dealer, and that's even less premium than Toyota. They really should just rebrand the Century sedan and CUV as Lexus. The sedan could be the basis of the 6LS and the CUV could be "LFX" or something.