5th Generation (2018+) Lexus LS 500 & LS 500h Megathread

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions

I should be more specific: There's a mixed crowd on the LC 500 fb groups - younger people, middle aged folks, tuners, etc. Just a number of weird older white men mixed in there too, which I think is to be expected with a Lexus at this price point.

Sulu

Expert
Reactions
The non-USDM LS executive has Haku platinum foil and Nishijinori woven fabric door trims. But the USDM model only has the Haku piece and standard black leather. I had a look at a US LS500h with the Haku trim and it doesn't look nearly as good as the Chinese market model I saw before. The Nishijinori piece is there to create a moonlight effect at night and without it the Haku trim looks no different from a basic aluminum piece. Why would Lexus USA decontent their products and hate giving customers options?
View attachment 9378
The non-US model also has full crimson red leather trim with Kiriko glass and red stitching while the US model is standard black leather.
View attachment 9379
Also what kind of people buy flagship Lexus products in the US? Most of the pre-owned cars have interiors that look 15 years old despite having only 10-40k miles. Cracked leather, stains and spills everywhere, scratches on trim pieces are almost standard feature on any pre-owned Lexus. Do people eat fast food in their $100k car, touch all the expensive leather parts with oily fingers and never detail the interior? I've never seen similar levels of neglect with pre-owned European brands.
I think that you have answered your own question.

Why offer good quality, premium materials and trim if the customers do not appreciate them?

I find this quote from the Subaru WRX discussion appropriately sums it up:
screenshot.jpg

Maybe that is why all automakers in North America offer such limited, poor quality interiors in their cars (dour, funereal all-black interiors with low-quality, easily-scratched plastics). We (in general) accept it, we do not complain about it (enough), and we are not willing to pay a few dollars more to get better interiors. But I digress.

mikeavelli

Reactions
I think that you have answered your own question.

Why offer good quality, premium materials and trim if the customers do not appreciate them?

I find this quote from the Subaru WRX discussion appropriately sums it up:
View attachment 9396

Maybe that is why all automakers in North America offer such limited, poor quality interiors in their cars (dour, funereal all-black interiors with low-quality, easily-scratched plastics). We (in general) accept it, we do not complain about it (enough), and we are not willing to pay a few dollars more to get better interiors. But I digress.

That quote from the other thread speaks volumes. In my opinion the LS interior has been its best feature. It’s beautiful with amazing fit and finish and details. .To me it’s held up after 7 years. It’s rarely mentioned. That interior at the price being sold today is incredible.

VW has dumbed down their entire lineup because they realized Americans just want suvs no matter how half assed or mediocre.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
That quote from the other thread speaks volumes. In my opinion the LS interior has been its best feature. It’s beautiful with amazing fit and finish and details. .To me it’s held up after 7 years. It’s rarely mentioned. That interior at the price being sold today is incredible.

VW has dumbed down their entire lineup because they realized Americans just want suvs no matter how half assed or mediocre.
ES has a very close interior too. I hope the new ES will not be “cheaper”.

Flagship1

Follower
Reactions
while i appreciate the ode to the champagne glasses, can we get some fresh new air on the advertising and not repeat this (akio did this same skit on an ls500 a few years back)?