5th Generation (2018+) Lexus LS 500 & LS 500h Megathread

pacman1

Fan
Reactions
Lexus Teammate gets the only Acceptable score in IIHS autonomous driving test. Wish it could make its way in more products though. Even the regular LSS gets better rating than FSD.
View attachment 8788
That’s incredible. Lexus doesn’t even really market their autonomous tech. They definitely need to trickle this technology down to the rest of their line up. It’s amazing that Tesla marketed themselves with autonomous driving while they have one of the worst scores.

sl0519

Follower
Reactions
They need to somehow integrate it into the design of the car. The exposed lidar sensors looked very out of place.

mediumhot

Follower
Reactions
That’s incredible. Lexus doesn’t even really market their autonomous tech. They definitely need to trickle this technology down to the rest of their line up. It’s amazing that Tesla marketed themselves with autonomous driving while they have one of the worst scores.

Tesla has always been the worst. Older versions cant even parallel park themselves properly. But Tesla did conquer the marketing by allowing illegal and dangerous hands free driving that spiked the flood of videos and images of people sleeping while being driven etc.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
But Tesla did conquer the marketing by allowing illegal and dangerous hands free driving that spiked the flood of videos and images of people sleeping while being driven etc.
Tesla has attempted to thwart people from doing that in their software updates, but fully stopping hands-free driving is impossible short of handcuffing the driver to the steering wheel. That's why every system except Ford's was Marginal or worse on driver monitoring and none of them were Good.

But yes, the marketing value of those stunts has been good for Tesla for sure. And probably has contributed to every other automaker not really marketing their system.

Flagship1

Fan
Reactions
Teammate is so limited that it might as well be invite only, or for internal use only. Not to discredit a win for Toyota, but as you said, until this system is widely offered and adopted, the win is mostly symbolic.

Flagship1

Fan
Reactions
Does anyone think the next gen Ls will get that iforce max ? If so how much hp?
The bigger question is will there even be a next generation LS. Its become apparent that no one is cross shopping this with the current leader, the S class.

The LS, LC, RCF, ES, RC, RZ have the most amount of sales support from Lexus currently.

The rest of the lineup sell themselves depending on the dealerships sales region and model (volume vs gross).

Berto3818

Follower
Reactions
@Flagship1 great points . I haven’t seen any about the LS or ES refresh. I would assume the LC is up for one…. All I see is the SUVs getting everything.

Flagship1

Fan
Reactions
@Flagship1 great points . I haven’t seen any about the LS or ES refresh. I would assume the LC is up for one…. All I see is the SUVs getting everything.
The ES replacement is happening since it was showcased alongside the now TX way back in 2021. That being said, sedans are tough market for the industry, but should be easier from internal sales pressure competition with the avalon nla.

Lexus as a brand is now a CUV/SUV Brand first and foremost.

Flagship1

Fan
Reactions
@Flagship1 would it be fair to say that the ES COUOF BE THR defacto replacement for the ls? Will the next ES have a v6?
The 2gr is eol moving forward as a primary propulsion system, and you can see what will be the successor based off the current lineup (refer to the RX).

ES will not replace an LS, as they appeal to two widely different consumer bases and program budgets. That being said as of right now we know what the ES next gen looks like, guesstimate of powertrains, and it will be shifting factories back to Japan for production. The LS roadmap on the other hand, no one knows for certain.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
I'm still thinking why Toyota is avoiding turbocharged engines in their two-motor hybrids. GAC has already done that for a few years and Ford just had their 2.0T in the Lincoln Nautilus hybrid.

sl0519

Follower
Reactions
I'm still thinking why Toyota is avoiding turbocharged engines in their two-motor hybrids. GAC has already done that for a few years and Ford just had their 2.0T in the Lincoln Nautilus hybrid.

Just do p2 hybrid and focus on performance instead of this weird multistage thing because nobody in this class is after fuel efficiency, not to mention the fact that competitors' turbo engines have gotten so good the hit on gas mileage might not be as large as you think.