Reactions
random question. since Toyota/Lexus HQ is in Plano, TX, why are the press releases for the GX/TX out of Austin?
Austin is seen as more cosmopolitan, it's known as the Texas Silicon Valley, many California Silicon Valley companies have moved to Austin (Tesla, etc.) as well as the Dallas/Ft Worth and Houston areas.

In other words, Austin has lots of younger professionals with money and there are some good overland and offroad areas they will go to after they leave Starbucks in their new GX.

Also, Austin is a little more compact than the DFW area so transportation, hotels and the airport are in closer proximity for an event. Here in the North Texas/ DFW area, where the Plano Headquarters is, we are a little more spread out.

Jezza819

Follower
Reactions
I understand this was a launch event and there was only the one GX there. But I would like to see some live footage a non Overtrail model since I think that is where the bulk of sales are going to come from. Still pictures are great but a live walkaround would be better.

jphcbpa

Fan
Reactions
Agreed - LC 300 has the best interior of the group overall.

Look at the new Tacoma interior - upper trims are very nice. Using the Tacoma interior as a point of reference, to me this (GX) looks like what I would expect to be the 4Runner interior -- not a 2024 halo Lexus model interior. I was expecting a lot more luxury, to be frank.

LX needs an interior refresh and FAST.
Perhaps the luxury and luxury + trims will offer more "luxury" LOL

jphcbpa

Fan
Reactions
Thanks for posting these !!!!

IMO, I think the overtrail exterior colorway of "earth" with an interior colorway of "chateau" (lighter 2 tone tan) would look really good. Also think the luxury models with "incognito" exterior with the "dapple gray" 2 tone interior would look nice.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
You guys are comparing photos of models they build in mexico vs Yoshiwara.

🤯

I really should reply properly on this but, this is a luxury most people dont recognize because of... reasons i wont go into now.

I like it personally. I have a feeling the execution is excellent.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Hey @mikeavelli

gxp7029-jpg.7393

What exactly is the door insert material? It's green or orange in the pics based on seating color, but I can't tell what it is exactly. Just a vinyl color insert?

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Edit: i think those considering the GX should also wait for the release of the 4runner. ying yang.

I was kind of thinking the same. I have a feeling the 4Runner interior could end up a bit nicer, or at least more price appropriate.

Reactions
Hybrid is gonna be 3.4l TTV6 mated to the electric motor kinda like the i-force max in the tundra if i’m not mistaken

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
You guys are comparing photos of models they build in mexico vs Yoshiwara.

🤯

I really should reply properly on this but, this is a luxury most people dont recognize because of... reasons i wont go into now.

I like it personally. I have a feeling the execution is excellent.

Of course build quality and materials can't be judged from pictures, but obvious decisions around design, trim, color and functionality certainly can be.

It's funny to hear so many people saying they like 3GX interior for "functionality." Isn't that what Toyota is for... and why we expect functionality + luxury out of Lexus for an increased price?

I've heard from other people at the event that interior materials are first rate, so that is certainly encouraging!

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
$15.70,
20230609_073717.jpg
$10,000
31030425001001-400x684.png

All im saying, I dont have the first one on my wrist, and one of these two is cleared to go to the moon.

Industrial technology has enabled "mass luxury", which really isnt. Now every make has found out you can just ape design touches from luxury vehicles and now more cars look "luxury". So luxury retrenches on aspects like execution and design, which is not really something you can fully appreciate like without some refinement and direct exposure.

Lexus seems to have looked at what a bof, boxy offroader really is, and went hard into that.

All the traditionally easy "luxury" touches, which is often to say organic shapes or materials, arent found here. If you want to compete with the GX itll need to be on execution, details, reliability and capabilities, and first look videos wont convey that.

Maybe calling Lexus a luxury brand is misleading given the connotations these days. Its a brand focused on execution and refinement, not functionless excess (note that in a car dedicated to comfort and luxury, these luxury elements can find function, but not in the GX). They do what they think is right for consumers, executed as well as they possibly can.

And to top it all off they have to get it past the finance people and make it make sense.

Last edited:

qtb007

Follower
Reactions
The more I look at it, the more I like it. No barn door, comes in a 2 row model, will have the 2.4T hybrid, some off roading chops (hopefully with the 2.4T hybrid model, too), subtle and purposeful looks. Great job. I could see moving from my 4Runner Pro to a GX.