Reactions
Austin is seen as more cosmopolitan, it's known as the Texas Silicon Valley, many California Silicon Valley companies have moved to Austin (Tesla, etc.) as well as the Dallas/Ft Worth and Houston areas.

In other words, Austin has lots of younger professionals with money and there are some good overland and offroad areas they will go to after they leave Starbucks in their new GX.

Also, Austin is a little more compact than the DFW area so transportation, hotels and the airport are in closer proximity for an event. Here in the North Texas/ DFW area, where the Plano Headquarters is, we are a little more spread out.

haha I totally agree. I live in Austin and my parents live right by Toyota HQ as I grew up in Plano. I had the question because I thought all press releases would originate from Plano, they usually do unless I haven't been paying super close attention. Just fun to see Austin get some love

Reactions
Im curious what they want pricing to start at. My guess would be a decent bump to around 65k, surely they wouldn't be pushing higher than that to start at?

mikeavelli

Reactions
Hey @mikeavelli

gxp7029-jpg.7393

What exactly is the door insert material? It's green or orange in the pics based on seating color, but I can't tell what it is exactly. Just a vinyl color insert?

I honestly never noticed till i saw your post lol… will ask or have to see next time

mikeavelli

Reactions
$15.70,
View attachment 7423
$10,000
View attachment 7424

All im saying, I dont have the first one on my wrist, and one of these two is cleared to go to the moon.

Industrial technology has enabled "mass luxury", which really isnt. Now every make has found out you can just ape design touches from luxury vehicles and now more cars look "luxury". So luxury retrenches on aspects like execution and design, which is not really something you can fully appreciate like without some refinement and direct exposure.

Lexus seems to have looked at what a bof, boxy offroader really is, and went hard into that.

All the traditionally easy "luxury" touches, which is often to say organic shapes or materials, arent found here. If you want to compete with the GX itll need to be on execution, details, reliability and capabilities, and first look videos wont convey that.

Maybe calling Lexus a luxury brand is misleading given the connotations these days. Its a brand focused on execution and refinement, not functionless excess (note that in a car dedicated to comfort and luxury, these luxury elements can find function, but not in the GX). They do what they think is right for consumers, executed as well as they possibly can.

And to top it all off they have to get it past the finance people and make it make sense.

Great post.. and i need to add a Speedmaster 😮‍💨

Demetrius

Founding Member
Reactions
Some random observations:
-2-row, 5 seat model (Overtrail exclusive) seems to have a much lower load floor and when the 2nd row seats are folded, you're left with an unlevel surface unless you tumble the seat. Similar to the 200/300 series. The 3rd row in the 7 seat model sits a good bit higher, but folds flat into the floor and when the second row is folded, you have a completely level surface.
-Doesn't look like ventilated 2nd row seats are available on the Overtrail model nor rear AC vents above the doors. Perhaps Overtrail+?
-The Earth color looks great outside, which is where the car is 99% of the time. Photo/videos from the indoor event mute the color a bit. I'd be interested in the Nori Green version.
-Massaging seats, pano roof--two things missing from the LX that I'm sure will receive attention during the LX refresh. I expect the LX to really upgrade substantially.
-The side profile of the Luxury model with 22's screams G550 to me. Love it!
-Kinda miss the barn door with such a square, large opening.
-Like the integration of the 14 in screen.
-MPG is abysmal. Utterly disappointing. I know it might just be an estimate for the Overtrail model, but jeez. That's like 16/19. I was hoping for LX type gains, especially jumping from 6 spd to a 10 spd, coupled with weight loss.
-197in long is longer than my 200 series! Interesting choice. I'm not mad at the extra room.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
One thing @mikeavelli and I have talked about is the difference between people who buy GXs new and people who buy them used. It's a really good point and I think Lexus did a good job of appealing to both with the redesign.

People paying $65k+ for a (current gen) new GX are understandably not taking them on trails or off-roading and I don't expect that to change with the new model. Towing, dirt roads, mountain houses, fishing, camping? Yes... but not scraping up the underside and coming off a trail with pinstripes down the sides after taking instagram pics.

People buying them 5 years later for $35k in the used market who want the platform and the V8? They definitely are doing that after it's lost half it's value. This is where the core overlanding/offroading community for the GX exists and they are super stoked on the Overtrail model.

There's a little bit of a middle ground of people putting small lifts and offroad tires and wheels on new GXs, so I think Lexus did a good job of selling the image to those buyers with the Overtrail model while offering a more diverse lineup overall for every buyer.

Anyway... looking at the GX community reacting to the new model, it's not shockingly in two camps:

People who love the boxy design and the Overtrail and don't really care about the interior, spindle, or price increase...

... and people who are upset about the only 1 MPG increase :ROFLMAO:

qtb007

Follower
Reactions
One thing @mikeavelli and I have talked about is the difference between people who buy GXs new and people who buy them used. It's a really good point and I think Lexus did a good job of appealing to both with the redesign.

People paying $65k+ for a (current gen) new GX are understandably not taking them on trails or off-roading and I don't expect that to change with the new model. Towing, dirt roads, mountain houses, fishing, camping? Yes... but not scraping up the underside and coming off a trail with pinstripes down the sides after taking instagram pics.

People buying them 5 years later for $35k in the used market who want the platform and the V8? They definitely are doing that after it's lost half it's value. This is where the core overlanding/offroading community for the GX exists and they are super stoked on the Overtrail model.

There's a little bit of a middle ground of people putting small lifts and offroad tires and wheels on new GXs, so I think Lexus did a good job of selling the image to those buyers with the Overtrail model while offering a more diverse lineup overall for every buyer.

Anyway... looking at the GX community reacting to the new model, it's not shockingly in two camps:

People who love the boxy design and the Overtrail and don't really care about the interior, spindle, or price increase...

Hopefully hybrid fixes that. 2.4T hybrid from the Taco with full time 4WD and Overtrail trim. That's something I'd seriously consider. The more I see it, the more I love the looks... especially the front on and front 3/4 views.

I agree that these will be very sought after in the used market. Land Rover defender without the abysmal reliability seems like a winner for the 2nd hand crowd.

Reactions

Seems to me that this is a knock out of the park then.

Demetrius

Founding Member
Reactions

Lol, very well put. I probably will wind up getting this truck at some point(unless LX blows it out the water next year), I just reserve the right to ***** and complain as I drive it off the lot.
Overall, they did an awesome job with the redesign. Once final packaging it confirmed, it'll be more definitive.

jphcbpa

Fan
Reactions
Some things I wanted and appear to be showing up…

Massage seats
Heads up Display
Wireless charging
2 row option
Pano roof option
Remote engine start (not verified)
Ambient lighting (not verified)