CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
The 2024 GX comes standard with a 10-speaker premium surround sound system, with available 21- Speaker Mark Levinson Surround Sound. Additional options (depending on grade) include: Digital Key*, Cool Box, Head-Up Display, Traffic Jam Assist**, Cold Area Package and Tonneau Cover.

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
So, it's no longer going to be December 2023 launch, but sometime in Q1 2024. One of my sources had been sharing with me among lots of details, that the next GX was showing up for Tahara SOP in January 2024. I didn't want to believe, but his credibility with that one seems to be winning here. Unfortunately, I became dependent on my HQ source saying that the Prado delays didn't affect GX plans. Well, clearly they must have somehow, as that is also January 2024 SOP.

Deusex

Follower
Reactions
The 2024 GX comes standard with a 10-speaker premium surround sound system, with available 21- Speaker Mark Levinson Surround Sound. Additional options (depending on grade) include: Digital Key*, Cool Box, Head-Up Display, Traffic Jam Assist**, Cold Area Package and Tonneau Cover.
And Massage Seats!

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
Where did you see massaging seats

Edit

Overtrail+ grade will come standard with an exclusive seat design for optimal off-road comfort with available driver and front passenger massage seats and driver power cushion extender.

Yes! Offroad with massage seats!

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
A few thoughts as a current GX owner with a '23 that will be here in 2 weeks.

Exterior: I do like it a lot. I want to see more colors and trims to settle my opinion. Not really a fan of the grill... the body-colored section at the bottom of the spindle looks strange and unnecessary but is easy to fix with a can of PlastiDip I guess. Not sure why they did that. I really like everything else a lot and think Lexus did a nice job with the exterior design.

I actually like the design/aesthetic of the Premium model more than the Overtrail. I'd like to see pics of the Luxury and Luxury+.

Interior: I guess I'll be in the minority here, but I'm pretty disappointed based on photos. This is not looking luxurious enough for what's sure to be a $65-85k Lexus halo vehicle. Yes it's utilitarian and there's a theme going on here with hard lines but... dang. If this is the GX, I'm a little worried about what the 4Runner is going to look like because this looks like a Toyota interior to me. Door panels are flat and boring, dash and console have a little leather and some material around the phone holder, but where's the... wood? Aluminum? Glass? Something? I get the off-road theme but for what it costs, I wanted more luxury detailing and design and I don't really see it. Current GX interior has a fair amount of wood and metal detailing and I wish this did as well for what it's going to cost.

I am impressed that they have righted two of the wrongs on the LX - one large 14" screen and massaging seats. Thank god! Panoramic roof...?

Engine: I give up on understanding Lexus' naming convention. "550" is 350hp for GX but 406hp for TX? GS 460 had 342hp in 2008... I just don't understand. Why not give it the Tundra tune with 389hp? After 14 years, I would have liked to see more horsepower quite frankly, and only with a 1 MPG increase over the current one? Unfortunately I am a little disappointed here.

Overtrail: Factory off-road models are cool. I don't dig the name and I know it'll be picked apart by TRD BROs, but whatever. Cool that Lexus is doing it, and the sky is the limit I'd say.

What's up with the LX 600? Seriously. The LX 600 has always been a little "botched" IMO but I am trying to understand how Lexus has positioned this GX and the LX because they're now almost the same size and use the same wheelbase. The LX's extra length must just be in overhangs. GX has a larger interior screen and massaging seats, but considering my gripes with the lack of luxury in the GX 550, I guess Lexus wants to push people like me into the LX 600? LX used to be purchased by people who wanted the most spacious Lexus or the most badass off-roader, but the TX is now the largest and the GX is now the most off-road ready. LX is finding itself in a bit of no-man's land... and not in a good way.

Summary: I was a little afraid of having buyer's remorse with my 2023 arriving this month but I don't feel like that. I think the 2024 is a great step forward, but I will be happy to own the V8 and (IMO) a more luxurious interior for a few more years because there are some things I love about the current one that I don't see here. I'm sure the time will come and I'll end up in a 3GX, but there are a few things I'd like to see or figure out before that time comes.

UZJ100GXR

Follower
Reactions
I agree @Gecko
I do not like the interior of the new GX.
I actually think the Toyota LC300 has a nicer interior than the Lexus GX.
Also the LX600 needs an interior update ASAP, that dual screen is disgusting.

Reactions
It looks like the GX and TX are the first two vehicles to FINALLY get an all-digital 12in instrument cluster. Still surprised the LX and LS still have the smaller one with the graphics dating back to 2017/2018. Hopefully there’ll be some consistency across the model line soon enough.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I agree @Gecko
I do not like the interior of the new GX.
I actually think the Toyota LC300 has a nicer interior than the Lexus GX.
Also the LX600 needs an interior update ASAP, that dual screen is disgusting.

Agreed - LC 300 has the best interior of the group overall.

Look at the new Tacoma interior - upper trims are very nice. Using the Tacoma interior as a point of reference, to me this (GX) looks like what I would expect to be the 4Runner interior -- not a 2024 halo Lexus model interior. I was expecting a lot more luxury, to be frank.

LX needs an interior refresh and FAST.

NomadDan

Follower
Reactions
I really dig the exterior. Everything about it is fantastic. The lower part of the bumper is a bit iffy for me, but the front end is prime for a nice offroad bumper.

I’d be curious to see if anyone offers snorkels for this. With dual air boxes and the low cut hood/fender gap, a snorkel might be tricky to fit. Dual snorkels would be kinda rad though.

My biggest complaint is on the interior. The dash looks horrible, and I really dislike all the plastic between the displays. Is there a rear climate control other than the two vents on the backside of the center console? The model shown in the videos does not appear to have a rear climate control, which is inexcusable for a SUV this large and expensive. The TX has three zone climate control, and that should have been standard on the GX. Even a Kia Sorento has three zone climate.

Other than the two complaints I have with the interior, I’d say this is absolutely fantastic. I was not expecting the full-tune torque numbers on this. I’d be curious to see what drivetrain the hybrid ends up having.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
The new GX is the same size as the J200 Land Cruiser/LX and almost the same as J300 Land Cruiser, but 10cm shorter than the J310 LX.

It's almost like Toyota is confused about the positioning of new LCP and LC platforms. Both have that "2850mm magical wheelbase", which is self-invented and doesn't make sense anyway (there is no one-size-fit-all wheelbase for offroading, SWB and LWB are good for different things). Some LCP/GX buyers want that 3rd row, so it has to grow in length; some LC/LX buyers want offroad maneuverability, so it can't grow in length. So we end up in a situation where the 'mid-size' BOF product has almost the same size as the 'full-size' BOF product and neither is optimized for their respective roles.

I feel this mess is the result of TMC wanting to bring in more types of customers while not offending its conventional customers. In an ideal world they would end up with a lineup like this:
A SWB (2750mm), 2-row (<4800mm), narrowbody (<1900mm), fully offroad optimized model (modern FJ).
A SWB (2750mm), 3-row (>4800mm), narrowbody (<1900mm), emerging market optimized model (like Fortuner).
A MWB (2850mm), 2 or 3-row (<5000mm), widebody (>2000mm), balanced model (like traditional LCP/GX).
A LWB (>3000mm), 3-row (>5000mm), widebody (>2000mm), comfort and space optimized model (like Sequoia or a LWB Range Rover).
A XWB (>3200mm), 3-row (>5300mm), widebody (>2000mm), IRS, North America optimized model (like Escalade).

But they can't, since some customers will always complain one product is too small and the other is too big and want the exact same thing they bought 15 years ago.

There is certainly some bad product planning going on with their BOF lineup, but at the same time it's inevitable because the Land Cruiser series has arguably the most diverse customer base of all automobile. It's truly amazing that Toyota has always had the most capable BOF chassis of all manufacturers, yet never had one product that does the best for its intended role because of this customer diversity.

Last edited: