Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Wait....the 350 turbo is also getting Full time AWD? And they aren't done tuning it yet? So there is a possibility the final numbers could be more than 275?

Yes - full time AWD on the NX 350. I don't assume the numbers will change much, but they put that disclaimer in the release.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Also, that full-time AWD on the NX350 sounds interesting. Anybody have any details on it, whether it is a Torsen center differential, or is it all clutch pack only? I can foresee this going onto the IS as well.

I asked for more details on the AWD systems multiple times but they only released a few details. I assume full information will be released closer to launch.

mikeavelli

Reactions
With the 2.4T looking like a replacement for the 2GR, that would mean a true next gen IS350 will use this engine, correct? If so, is there a push to update a TNGA platform (ie. N) and get the IS off of the New N?

Also, that full-time AWD on the NX350 sounds interesting. Anybody have any details on it, whether it is a Torsen center differential, or is it all clutch pack only? I can foresee this going onto the IS as well.

As for my thoughts on the NX - it's about time that it got a full redesign. I really like the exterior redesign (especially the door handle not moving), and the interior as well (once again, the door handles) except for all of the glossy surfaces and lack of buttons for the HVAC.

If I had to choose, I'd go with the 450h+ for the most power, and for that longer EV-only range, although I think I would leave it in auto mode most of the time and let the vehicle figure out which components to turn on / off so I don't end up with a potential issue.

Let me upload my video of the NX engine and tranny… maybe some of y’all can figure things out. I’m no engineer lol.

The turbos are behind the engine FYI..

FDA8164F-5F34-43C3-B8DA-7EE3FA7C9730.jpeg

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
  • 2.4-liter Turbocharged AWD (T24A-FTS + Direct Shift-8AT + Full-Time Electronically Controlled AWD)
A newly developed 2.4-liter inline-four turbocharged engine, a newly developed high-torque Direct Shift-8AT, and a newly developed electronically controlled full-time AWD. In addition to the Toyota New Global Architecture's (TNGA) high-speed combustion system, the engine features Lexus' first center-injection direct-injection system and a close placement of the turbocharger and catalyst done in order to meet increasingly stringent exhaust and fuel economy regulations around the world, while at the same time being conscious of carbon neutrality. The transmission has been optimized for the turbocharged engine, which can generate high torque from low rpm. The newly developed shift control technology enables acceleration and deceleration that is faithful to the driver's will and provides a pleasant shift schedule. Additionally, the electronically controlled full-time AWD constantly varies the front/rear driving force distribution from 75:25 to 50:50 (depending on situation), and uses unique technology to achieve both an optimal contact patch and linear steering feel.

I also read in one of PRs it is torque vectoring system.

Another new feature, Europe only? (Russia only?)
The steering adopts Lexus' first variable rack gear*4 to enhance stability at high speeds and enable a quick cornering response. The new variable rack steering gear also excels at low speed handling.

Will1991

Reactions
From a older Toyota publication:

“The new Dynamic Torque Vectoring AWD system is used in gasoline engine vehicles. By adopting a torque vectoring mechanism, which independently distributes torque to the left and right rear wheels according to driving conditions, the Dynamic Torque Vectoring AWD system enables the driver to steer the vehicle exactly as intended.”

Source: https://global.toyota/en/mobility/tnga/powertrain2018/4wd/

Reactions
this is from EU press release:
I think we are talking about two different things here.

Dynamic Torque Control AWD: distribute torque between front and rear axles

Dynamic Torque Vectoring AWD: not only distribute torque between front and rear axles but also between individual wheels

To me both systems are torque vectoring but maybe in Toyota terms it is not "torque vectoring" unless the system is controlling individual wheels?

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
From a older Toyota publication:

“The new Dynamic Torque Vectoring AWD system is used in gasoline engine vehicles. By adopting a torque vectoring mechanism, which independently distributes torque to the left and right rear wheels according to driving conditions, the Dynamic Torque Vectoring AWD system enables the driver to steer the vehicle exactly as intended.”

Source: https://global.toyota/en/mobility/tnga/powertrain2018/4wd/
Even the non-hybrid Highlander can come with TVD.

Lexus should at least offer it as a $2k option lol, to pad its profit margins for those want it.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
This becomes very technical, but bear with me.

Toyota's Dynamic Torque Control (DTC) AWD is what is on the current NX, RX, older Toyota crossovers, and also the current RAV4 LE, XLE and XLE premium, and Highlander LE and XLE. Dynamic Torque Control is basically a brake-based torque vectoring system - if you want to call it that - that can brake a wheel that's spinning or lower on traction to transfer more power to the wheel that has grip. It is an off road traction-focused system that doesn't really offer much for performance or dry grip.

Dynamic Torque Vectoring (DTV) AWD is slightly different in that it can actively send power between wheels and does not require braking to do so, as DTC AWD does. Most people consider true torque vectoring to require active power delivery like DTV AWD and would tell you DTC is an inferior system because it has to be braked to do so. Considering that Toyota charges more for it, I think they know that too. DTV AWD is a slightly more performance-focused system with benefits on dry pavement.

Dynamic Torque Vectoring AWD debuted on the 2019 RAV4 but only on the Limited and Adventure models. TRD Off Road has it now too. Lesser models (as noted above) and hybrids use a different system. The current Highlander follows a similar rule where the lower grades (LE, XLE) have the old Dynamic Torque Control AWD system, but from XSE on up (Limited, Platinum), Dynamic Torque Vectoring AWD is the option.

I specifically asked Lexus if the DTV AWD system would come to the NX, and the first response was that "more details would be available later," the second response was that "it's an updated version of the current system," and the third response was that there will be a different Lexus AWD system coming next year. It seems the jury is out on this one - even among the Lexus product folks.

So, all of that said: If the NX comes with DTC AWD and not DTV AWD or something better, that's pretty disappointing to me considering the RAV4 and Highlander offer it on some grades and this is Lexus we're talking about. However, I believe whatever AWD system Lexus delivers on the NX will be quite different because DTC AWD is not a full-time system but rather the known "slip then grip" logic that is not a true performance-based system like SH-AWD or similar -- and Lexus has said it is a full time AWD system. My assumption is that the NX 200/250/260 might offer DTC AWD because it is a cheap system, the NX 350 will debut something new (more details to come), the NX 350h will use AWD-i like the Toyota Hybrids, and the NX 450h+ will use the same version as the RAV4 Prime.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
The PHEV looks promising and may turn to be the sold king in all Lexus lineup not only in just the NX, but that's all depends on how it's drive in twisty roads, hope it won't be like the RAV4 prime though

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
So, all of that said: If the NX comes with DTC AWD and not DTV AWD or something better, that's pretty disappointing to me considering the RAV4 and Highlander offer it on some grades and this is Lexus we're talking about. However, I believe whatever AWD system Lexus delivers on the NX will be quite different because DTC AWD is not a full-time system but rather the known "slip then grip" logic that is not a true performance-based system like SH-AWD or similar -- and Lexus has said it is a full time AWD system. My assumption is that the NX 200/250/260 might offer DTC AWD because it is a cheap system, the NX 350 will debut something new (more details to come), the NX 350h will use AWD-i like the Toyota Hybrids, and the NX 450h+ will use the same version as the RAV4 Prime.

250/260 will offer system that is FWD by default, yeah, unlike NX 350.

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
Nice. Finally Toyota knows TVD, even brake-based torque vectoring, does increase safety and handling dynamics (also understeer) to an extent.

I think Porsche takes it to the extreme with PDCC but TVD should be plenty enough for daily driven cars/SUVs.

mikeavelli

Reactions
This becomes very technical, but bear with me.

Toyota's Dynamic Torque Control (DTC) AWD is what is on the current NX, RX, older Toyota crossovers, and also the current RAV4 LE, XLE and XLE premium, and Highlander LE and XLE. Dynamic Torque Control is basically a brake-based torque vectoring system - if you want to call it that - that can brake a wheel that's spinning or lower on traction to transfer more power to the wheel that has grip. It is an off road traction-focused system that doesn't really offer much for performance or dry grip.

Dynamic Torque Vectoring (DTV) AWD is slightly different in that it can actively send power between wheels and does not require braking to do so, as DTC AWD does. Most people consider true torque vectoring to require active power delivery like DTV AWD and would tell you DTC is an inferior system because it has to be braked to do so. Considering that Toyota charges more for it, I think they know that too. DTV AWD is a slightly more performance-focused system with benefits on dry pavement.

Dynamic Torque Vectoring AWD debuted on the 2019 RAV4 but only on the Limited and Adventure models. TRD Off Road has it now too. Lesser models (as noted above) and hybrids use a different system. The current Highlander follows a similar rule where the lower grades (LE, XLE) have the old Dynamic Torque Control AWD system, but from XSE on up (Limited, Platinum), Dynamic Torque Vectoring AWD is the option.

I specifically asked Lexus if the DTV AWD system would come to the NX, and the first response was that "more details would be available later," the second response was that "it's an updated version of the current system," and the third response was that there will be a different Lexus AWD system coming next year. It seems the jury is out on this one - even among the Lexus product folks.

Great summary. Interesting Toyota doesn’t go full marketing blitz on it like aCuRa. Honda uses the same sh-AWD too but call it something else.

I also cannot stress enough you gotta really be going balls to the wall driving for it to even make a difference. Most driving is under fwd, then some rear kicks in and in only the most extreme conditions does any side to side torque vectoring actually occur.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
The NX350h does not use the same HVB as Highlander. Highlander has a 240s1p NiMH pack with 288V and 1.9kWh capacity. NX has a 70s1p Li-ion pack with 259V and unknown capacity. This is why it has slightly lower power (245 -> 239hp).
HVB.png
HLD.png
That was fast lol..hopefully this helps some of you. It’s the new 2.4 Engine and AWD system
Why the T24 has a massive front-mounted intercooler when V35 and F33, two much larger and higher output engines have tiny top-mounted inter-'warmers'? That intercooler looks like something from a 600+hp build 🤣

Last edited:

nt01

Fan
Reactions
The NX350h does not use the same HVB as Highlander. Highlander has a 240s1p NiMH pack with 288V and 1.9kWh capacity. NX has a 70s1p Li-ion pack with 259V and unknown capacity. This is why it has slightly lower power (245 -> 239hp).
View attachment 4866
View attachment 4867

Why the T24 has a massive front-mounted intercooler when V35 and F33, two much larger and higher output engines have tiny top-mounted inter-'warmers'? That intercooler looks like something from a 600+hp build 🤣
The intercoolers on V35 are air to liquid, T24 seems like it’s air to air.