sl0519

Follower
Reactions
Question for the group. New NX seems like it will be a major hit. I’m still disappointed in lack of a F performance of true F but as Lexus fans kind of used to that now lol but do you see the technology advances that the NX has as a negative to their higher models where you could be shopping for a 100k LS and be like this 50k NX has better tech. I know Lexus loves lower models to higher instead of higher to lower but it just seems backwards they way they give their lower models stuff first. Thoughts?

The only way is to release a next gen LS as a 2023 model year.
Unveiling at fall 2022, ready to go on sale spring 2023 :D

Sulu

Expert
Reactions
Question for the group. New NX seems like it will be a major hit. I’m still disappointed in lack of a F performance of true F but as Lexus fans kind of used to that now lol but do you see the technology advances that the NX has as a negative to their higher models where you could be shopping for a 100k LS and be like this 50k NX has better tech. I know Lexus loves lower models to higher instead of higher to lower but it just seems backwards they way they give their lower models stuff first. Thoughts?
There could be any number of reasons why Lexus is introducing the new Lexus Interface on the NX rather than on the LS or LC flagships.
  • It is available now and the new NX -- with top-to-bottom new technology -- is available now so why not introduce it on this new model?
  • It may require new computer technology that is difficult (and expensive) to retrofit to an existing model. We know that Toyota does not usually introduce new technology on older models, even models going through a facelift. That said, do we know if the 2022 ES facelift will include this new Lexus Interface or will it merely be a change to touchscreen?
  • Lexus may not have wanted to introduce too much new technology on the LS all at once. The LS is being updated with the Teammate driver-assist system. Spreading out the introduction of new technology reduces the risk of overwhelming drivers and Lexus dealership technicians with new technology, the learning curve required and the number of potential problems that may pop up.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
As I understand it, the idea is to let the lower-end customers find the bugs first so by the time it shows up in a Crown or LS it just works. But at the same time, a lot of those high-end customers are OK with being beta testers (they're leasing anyway, right?). That's basically Tesla's entire business model, and the new S-Class seems to be very much in that direction as well.

it is a timing thing. First vehicle to be designed with this system in mind is NX... even LC got old system.
If they could have done in 2 years before, they would have.

James

Founding Member
Reactions
Another weird question...can they increase the gas tank size?? Why is Lexus gas tanks so small. Both my GS and wife's NX get like 330 miles full tank and I know MPG are similar than competition but they get like 450-500 miles per tank and that saves a bunch of time going to the gas station over and over again.

mikeavelli

Reactions

I agree ideally that would have been awesome but the timing wasn’t there. Also tens of thousands of more people will use the new system in the NX compared to a smaller selling LS. Which is good to showcase the system to more people.

Let us not forget we can assume the LX is coming soon and surely it will have the new Interface system.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
I agree ideally that would have been awesome but the timing wasn’t there. Also tens of thousands of more people will use the new system in the NX compared to a smaller selling LS. Which is good to showcase the system to more people.

Let us not forget we can assume the LX is coming soon and surely it will have the new Interface system.

i wonder about that, since LC will not use it, at least from initial pics shown.

bogglo

Admirer
Reactions
i wonder about that, since LC will not use it, at least from initial pics shown.
maybe thats's part of what will differentiate paying the extra for the LX in region where LC and LX are still being sold.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
maybe thats's part of what will differentiate paying the extra for the LX in region where LC and LX are still being sold.

it is not though. They will announce first Toyota using it later this year.

And besides, it is just infotainment, cant really remove features from it - other than screen size/quality, which is a given.

Last edited:

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Another weird question...can they increase the gas tank size?? Why is Lexus gas tanks so small. Both my GS and wife's NX get like 330 miles full tank and I know MPG are similar than competition but they get like 450-500 miles per tank and that saves a bunch of time going to the gas station over and over again.
it is not only Lexus, all car makers have small fuel tanks. i hate it, i want 80-100 litres. on the Infiniti Q50 diesel I can drive 1200 km before refueling.

mediumhot

Follower
Reactions
At this point t's pretty obvious that LX will be THE flagship SUV in the lineup. Hopefully Limitless fans will not go into extreme disappointment if LF-1 doesn't show up within upcoming LX generation cycle. In between LF-Z and new LX turbo Hybird there is a very little chance midsize RWD based crossover will popup anytime soon. I still root for RWD Lexus products no matter what and I just would like to add that this time around they have a perfect opportunity to slap upcoming RX on Mazda's new RWD based AWD platform together with that sweet I6 turbo ;)

GNS

Follower
Reactions
While I'm not in the market for an NX, I'm still excited to read more about it because it points the way forward for future Lexus products. In particular, the 2.4T, tuned to ~320hp and with a healthy shove of torque in the low rev range, would make an ideal replacement for the V6.

Don't get me wrong, I like the V6 in my IS350, but it really needs to have a lot more torque between 1500 - 3000 rpm.

Did someone here say that the sales of the new IS, along with the new wave of Lexus executives and decision makers, could spur the development of a true 4th gen IS on a revised TNGA-N? Or did I imagine it?

mordecai

Follower
Reactions
Was thinking on this some more.

I think I may be biased.

I watched the materials again, but pretended it was for a new RX.

The fact that it wasn't totally unbelievable, is crazy.

Whatever the next RX is, if I were a luxury SUV competitor, I'd be worried.

Absolutely. The RX will be stunning if this is what Lexus has done with the NX.

We will see later this year if Lexus is now consistently in “beast mode” if they manage to make the upcoming new LX super compelling. It will be interesting to see the Azuna interior design language that we saw in the new NX in a flagship application with the LX. 🔥

spwolf

Expert
Reactions

going back to this, seems like Yaris Cross in Europe will have new system (one in AU does not), so LX probably will get it depending on region.

mikeavelli

Reactions
After some looking around, seems the NX with the new 2.4 turbo has the second most hp and highest torque figure compared to other 4 cylinders in class.
The Germans and Genesis offer a bigger 6 but I just can’t see a huge take rate there. With no new V-6 offered yet it didn’t make sense to offer the old 3.5.

sl0519

Follower
Reactions
After some looking around, seems the NX with the new 2.4 turbo has the second most hp and highest torque figure compared to other 4 cylinders in class.
The Germans and Genesis offer a bigger 6 but I just can’t see a huge take rate there. With no new V-6 offered yet it didn’t make sense to offer the old 3.5.

Yes but also keep in mind competitors like Germans tend to underrate their hp figures. In some cases for example BMW, their claimed engine hp is pretty close to the wheel hp on dyno run.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Yes but also keep in mind competitors like Germans tend to underrate their hp figures. In some cases for example BMW, their claimed engine hp is pretty close to the wheel hp on dyno run.
I’m simply talking published ratings. Not dyno figures.

Reactions
I'm very impressed with the upcoming UI. I wish some of the soft buttons were hard but at least they aren't buried in sub menus. It's also great that the new system will have OTA updates so if something isn't working right or they make an improvement it can be updated. Tired of going to the dealer to get new firmware loaded. Volume knob is a huge plus. Amazing how many cars don't have one. I hope there's a mute button on the center of the volume knob or steering wheel. I really like to be able to mute the radio quickly.

Last edited:
Reactions
Confirmed with Lexus Corp,
You will not be able to special order the NX450h+ if you are not in west coast.
just like the RAV4 Prime, Toyota/Lexus have decided for the meantime you will only be able to order a Plug-in NX if you do it in west coast. So if you live anywhere else, you need to contact dealers in California, Oregon or Washington.