Reactions
I'm just wondering. Are there any interior shots of the NX with the smaller screen equipped? I can't seem to find any.

bogglo

Admirer
Reactions
This is my thoughts on what are needed to be a truly next generation infotainment
1. Better usability on apps like music and maps so people would actually use the car infotainment rather than using Android Auto/Apple Carplay. Nothing is more useless than something nobody uses.
2. Real Google Map support. Waze would be nice to have. Not some out dated database from Google and maybe monthly data refresh. All the search feature from Google Map like in Google map I can search bilingually.
3. Google assistant level voice assistant integrated with car function and interact remotely with your phone, meaning you can start your car with Google assistant(siri) on your phone, also if you want to have comprehensive commands you should be able to just tell the car naturally (no car maker should develop their own assistant because tbh I haven't seen any car assistant that's not stupid)
4. Android Car system would be nice, self developed is fine, but keep integrating music/podcast app natively that provides better experience than AA and AC. Again, if people just use AA and AC then the system is useless.
5. Sound system that support loseless music. (Not via 3.5mm port of course) better Bluetooth for hi-res.
6. Some other innovative features would be nice
IMO I think this infotainment checks all the boxes of everything you mentioned. Also all I haven't seen a deep dive into the usability of the system all we have seen is a glance. the map was co developed with google and i look forward to the 3d mode on the map. Also, you have the option of google maps through your android auto or wayz through car play. I don't think the full specs of ML system in the new NX has been revealed anywhere so I think we can wait before criticizing that.

OlFius

Founding Member
Reactions
Let's start by congratulating Lexus on this 100% successful NX, both inside and out, perfectly fine!

Only I think this version should have been there 2 or 3 years ago.
The infotainment system has been an issue at Lexus for years, so this update was more than necessary.
And the plug-in option that has been added to it (only for the 450h+), no longer has any value in my region, Western Europe. The way to go is all electric, whether this is the right way, I don't know. The tax benefits disappear completely for the plug-in systems and let's be honest, what's the use of such a plug-in, especially with a full hybrid system from Toyota/Lexus?
So, "Lexus is embracing electrification...." not quite right surely? Hopefully we don't have to wait 3 years for this....

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
The European governments are run by clueless people who have no idea of the unfeasibility of an all-BEV society before 2035.

For the short term (before 2035), PHVs will be the dominant form of electrified vehicle with electric-only drive around the world.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
The European governments are run by clueless people who have no idea of the unfeasibility of an all-BEV society before 2035.

For the short term (before 2035), PHVs will be the dominant form of electrified vehicle with electric-only drive around the world.
but what can european citizens do against such absurdity, when a small vocal number are BEV lunatics and think every other person has/or can ahve the same life as theirs?

mordecai

Follower
Reactions
Nice video on the new interior features and Lexus Interface of the NX. The wireless charging dock that slides into the console is an awesome feature as well as the customization options of the LED lights. The native maps app is very cool, loads fast, and has tilt view options. The faster CPU is much needed since they’ve upgraded the interface.

sl0519

Follower
Reactions
Nice video on the new interior features and Lexus Interface of the NX. The wireless charging dock that slides into the console is an awesome feature as well as the customization options of the LED lights. The native maps app is very cool, loads fast, and has tilt view options. The faster CPU is much needed since they’ve upgraded the interface.

No doubt it is relatively fast for a car's multimedia system, but still nowhere near as fluid as our smartphones. Pinch to zoom of google / apple map is instantaneous on our phone, whereas on the car it still stutters a bit. Even on the German cars, it didn't look any better despite having advertised on how fast their chips are.

Reactions
I have a hard time believing that, personally. I’m guessing it’s going to be a bit heavier than the RAV4 Limited, so let’s say 3,850lbs?

Full time AWD.

317 lb-ft of torque.

It won’t surprise me to see the NX 350 in 5.8 - 6.2 seconds. For what it’s worth, Lexus told us they aren’t even done tuning the engine yet, which is why the numbers are estimated.

3,700 lb ES 350 with 50 less lb-ft of torque, wheel spin from FWD (worse launch) and soft gearing does 0-60 in 6 seconds flat.
Wait....the 350 turbo is also getting Full time AWD? And they aren't done tuning it yet? So there is a possibility the final numbers could be more than 275?

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions

Are they banning new non-BEV sales in 2035 or are they banning them entirely on the streets? I haven't been following since it doesn't impact me but I did come across a few articles about how some cities like London may have started to block non-BEVs from entering the city.

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
but what can european citizens do against such absurdity, when a small vocal number are BEV lunatics and think every other person has/or can ahve the same life as theirs?
I hope the batteries do get covered for 15 years, even if just at 60% capacity. :)

Manufacturers are kinda happy to join the bandwagon because they know even the crappy 1st gen Nissan Leaf battery will last eight years easily (of course with a significant degradation).

Eight years is too short for the non-affluent like me.

Let's go CARB!

yiantony

Fan
Reactions
IMO I think this infotainment checks all the boxes of everything you mentioned. Also all I haven't seen a deep dive into the usability of the system all we have seen is a glance. the map was co developed with google and i look forward to the 3d mode on the map. Also, you have the option of google maps through your android auto or wayz through car play. I don't think the full specs of ML system in the new NX has been revealed anywhere so I think we can wait before criticizing that.
I look forward to what they bring up this time, but given the fact that their current and previous systems in NA can't even display Chinese/Korean/Japanese, I seriously think their IT department is so out of touch or lazy. I'm hopeful but not that confident.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Only disappointment is 6.8s 0-60 for 350. I don't really understand it
Let's start by congratulating Lexus on this 100% successful NX, both inside and out, perfectly fine!

Only I think this version should have been there 2 or 3 years ago.
The infotainment system has been an issue at Lexus for years, so this update was more than necessary.
And the plug-in option that has been added to it (only for the 450h+), no longer has any value in my region, Western Europe. The way to go is all electric, whether this is the right way, I don't know. The tax benefits disappear completely for the plug-in systems and let's be honest, what's the use of such a plug-in, especially with a full hybrid system from Toyota/Lexus?
So, "Lexus is embracing electrification...." not quite right surely? Hopefully we don't have to wait 3 years for this....

I noticed Toyota and Lexus were making it clear they view electrification as not just BEV but hybrids and PHEV. They made mention of the original Prius and RAV-4 EV etc.

For the USA, on average it seems 30-40 miles is what people drive a day. So the 35 mile range of the 450h+ is a great value add.

It was crystal clear to me driving a Prius Prime recently. I made sure to charge it up anytime I could and some days I didn’t use any gas for local errands etc. For longer trips the gas engine kicked in seamlessly.

I like PHEV. Best of both worlds IMO.

OlFius

Founding Member
Reactions
I noticed Toyota and Lexus were making it clear they view electrification as not just BEV but hybrids and PHEV. They made mention of the original Prius and RAV-4 EV etc.

For the USA, on average it seems 30-40 miles is what people drive a day. So the 35 mile range of the 450h+ is a great value add.

It was crystal clear to me driving a Prius Prime recently. I made sure to charge it up anytime I could and some days I didn’t use any gas for local errands etc. For longer trips the gas engine kicked in seamlessly.

I like PHEV. Best of both worlds IMO.

I also noticed that Lexus accelerates towards electrification (LF-Z), but not today (except UXe). We'll see in a few years what it will be.

But the sales pitch that the range of 35 miles is sufficient for the daily use, we also had that here (is also very little, to work and back home, you'd better buy an electric bike 😐).
And for those 35 miles you will have to drive quite a bit in eco-mode, in practice it will be more like 25 miles or less. At least that's my experience. And besides, it's assumed that every evening when you get home, you take out your cable and connect it. Don't forget it.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
No doubt it is relatively fast for a car's multimedia system, but still nowhere near as fluid as our smartphones. Pinch to zoom of google / apple map is instantaneous on our phone, whereas on the car it still stutters a bit. Even on the German cars, it didn't look any better despite having advertised on how fast their chips are.
Your phone has map data cached locally. You won't get the same framerate with cloud data until 5G becomes widely available.
Wait....the 350 turbo is also getting Full time AWD? And they aren't done tuning it yet? So there is a possibility the final numbers could be more than 275?
No. The 2.4T could have more power on a bigger vehicle like the RX because it's replacing a 299PS V6 engine. They just decided 275 is enough for the NX because that's the most power in the segment.
I also noticed that Lexus accelerates towards electrification (LF-Z), but not today (except UXe). We'll see in a few years what it will be.

But the sales pitch that the range of 35 miles is sufficient for the daily use, we also had that here (is also very little, to work and back home, you'd better buy an electric bike 😐).
And for those 35 miles you will have to drive quite a bit in eco-mode, in practice it will be more like 25 miles or less. At least that's my experience. And besides, it's assumed that every evening when you get home, you take out your cable and connect it. Don't forget it.
If you want to make sure the car can be driven in EV when you forget charging or drive more than 25 miles a day, you buy BEV not a PHV. The questions is where to draw the line? Surely some people want the PHV to drive more than 50 miles, 100 miles, not having to charge in an entire week?

Also manufacturers know most PHV users drive the car in auto/blended mode (ICE starts on highway to reduce battery drain). Some PHVs don't even have EV mode. Very few people actually try to get maximum range staying in EV mode (it's bad for the battery anyway). The whole point of PHV is to have a non-intrusive experience treated as a normal car.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
I have a hard time believing that, personally. I’m guessing it’s going to be a bit heavier than the RAV4 Limited, so let’s say 3,850lbs?

Full time AWD.

317 lb-ft of torque.

It won’t surprise me to see the NX 350 in 5.8 - 6.2 seconds. For what it’s worth, Lexus told us they aren’t even done tuning the engine yet, which is why the numbers are estimated.

3,700 lb ES 350 with 50 less lb-ft of torque, wheel spin from FWD (worse launch) and soft gearing does 0-60 in 6 seconds flat.

yeah, agreed. Especially since PHEV and HV 0-60 numbers are very reasonable. Which makes 350 confusing.

GNS

Follower
Reactions
With the 2.4T looking like a replacement for the 2GR, that would mean a true next gen IS350 will use this engine, correct? If so, is there a push to update a TNGA platform (ie. N) and get the IS off of the New N?

Also, that full-time AWD on the NX350 sounds interesting. Anybody have any details on it, whether it is a Torsen center differential, or is it all clutch pack only? I can foresee this going onto the IS as well.

As for my thoughts on the NX - it's about time that it got a full redesign. I really like the exterior redesign (especially the door handle not moving), and the interior as well (once again, the door handles) except for all of the glossy surfaces and lack of buttons for the HVAC.

If I had to choose, I'd go with the 450h+ for the most power, and for that longer EV-only range, although I think I would leave it in auto mode most of the time and let the vehicle figure out which components to turn on / off so I don't end up with a potential issue.

Last edited: