16th Generation Toyota Crown (Sedan, Cross, Sport, Estate/Signia)

What do you think it is?

• Lexus GS

Votes: 4 10.0%
  • Toyota Crown

Votes: 32 80.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 10.0%

• Total voters

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions
So according to oriba the new crown hev will use the a25 fxs with 10 speed auto hope that is the base engine
It would suck if the Crown got the "Sienna treatment" and lost any of the 300+ hp powertrain options that it used to have, but then again Toyota these days and the majority of their customers seem to be totally fine with having new gen models lose performance over the previous gen, even if it meant getting up to speed in your usual street driving conditions isn't as effortless and relaxing as it used to be.

Also one more thing, why is the performance of the 2.4L turbo engine so disappointing? Actually not just the 2.4L turbo engine, many of their other ICE powertrains for regular cars right now seem to be underperforming, their current way of powertrain tuning just sucks.

Ali Manai

Follower
Reactions
Should be base engine. Current Crown also comes with A25-FXS and 8GR-FXS.
Lets hope so though using 2.4 turbo hybrid setup like the prado as the and the plug in hybrid v6 from the tx would have been the best combo

Ali Manai

Follower
Reactions
Should be base engine. Current Crown also comes with A25A-FXS and 8GR-FXS.
Although it's understandable why they might opt for the 2.5l only as the other two powertrains had very low volume sales but since the sedan is now going for a global launch they should aim higher

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Also one more thing, why is the performance of the 2.4L turbo engine so disappointing? Actually not just the 2.4L turbo engine, many of their other ICE powertrains for regular cars right now seem to be underperforming, their current way of powertrain tuning just sucks.
Because they are relying on electric assist to hide the imperfect calibration. Not much point tuning a perfect ICE if the difference doesn't matter after hybridization.

Yet they still messed up the tuning on the 500h 🤦‍♂️ It still felt very soft and lack the kind of response you expect from a hybrid.

TMC will always have inferior powertrain calibration than other companies because they serve a much bigger market and have to cater to more diverse fuel qualities. They have to create more calibrations for the same powertrain (if you go to wiki page for A25, you will find dozens of variants for the same engine) so they can't take the time to create one perfect calibration for markets with good fuel quality. But the problem is they have done a worse job compared to themselves from the past.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
I don't get it. It is not that in the places where one can buy an RX 500h, one can't buy an X5 40i. And if these buyers can afford such a car, they can afford good quality fuel, which is available where one can earn money to buy the car in first place. Money is not made in the wilderness, probably exploited, but by other subordinates with diesel engines.

Ali Manai

Follower
Reactions
It's not just TMC all new mid sized to even some full sized sedans are utilizing tiny 4 cylinders and with the exception of BMW most of them suck in tuning be it merc, audi

qtb007

Follower
Reactions
It would suck if the Crown got the "Sienna treatment" and lost any of the 300+ hp powertrain options that it used to have, but then again Toyota these days and the majority of their customers seem to be totally fine with having new gen models lose performance over the previous gen, even if it meant getting up to speed in your usual street driving conditions isn't as effortless and relaxing as it used to be.

The 2GR-FKS averaged 19.1 to 21.mpg. The A25 hybrid Sienna averages 32.1 to 32.9mpg. That's precisely why no one cares about "effortless and relaxing" acceleration from the V6 Sienna.

I recently got some seat time in the 2.4L turbo engine in a Highlander. I've driven the 2.5L hybrid and the 3.5L in the same platform. Honestly didn't notice a difference between the two non-hybrid engines as far as performance. They drive almost exactly the same. It did get about 10% better fuel efficiency in the turbo than the V6, though.

Last edited:
Reactions: RAL

Ali Manai

Follower
Reactions
Well translation but according to oriba there might also be another hybrid powertrain which will be unveiled a little later and the 2.5l will also a get significant power boost compared to the current output as it would use a more powerful motor and a 10 speed gearbox rather than an ecvt.

Currently the highest output out of the 2.5l is around 250 hp any more than that it's pretty close to t24@265hp which kind of makes it pointless if an na engine could provide that much power with electric assist and not to mention would be a lot smoother without the turbo lag

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Well translation but according to oriba there might also be another hybrid powertrain which will be unveiled a little later and the 2.5l will also a get significant power boost compared to the current output as it would use a more powerful motor and a 10 speed gearbox rather than an ecvt.

Currently the highest output out of the 2.5l is around 250 hp any more than that it's pretty close to t24@265hp which kind of makes it pointless if an na engine could provide that much power with electric assist and not to mention would be a lot smoother without the turbo lag
And more fuel efficient. Too bad there is no TNGA RWD IS sedan with such an engine.

Ali Manai

Follower
Reactions
Also according to his previous posts including YouTube he is mostly hinting at a hybrid v35a fts but with the setup used in lc300

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Sounds all over the place to me, the possible engines. I don't believe in T24A hybrid, because of all the engineering that has to be done, even less so V35A hybrid. That is why the current Crown (S220) A25A hybrid and 8GR hybrid make the most sense, as they already exist, no engineering needed. Of course the transverse ?GR NAV6 plugin hybrid in the TX550h+ was a huge surprise. It will maybe be less so when we get to know the new Century SUV.

Ali Manai

Follower
Reactions

Well i guess they will unveil the sedan sometime in the next two months so lets see what they've done

Ali Manai

Follower
Reactions
I don't see the Crown getting a V35a hybrid when even the LS doesn't have that setup.
It probably could seeing how the ls might be on a hiatus for a year or two before it goes full electric and as for the lc it would bring power figures pretty close to the v8 and they probably don't want that specially torque

NomadDan

Follower
Reactions
The 8GR in the TX surprised me as well. Do you all think the 8GR would work well for rear drive hybrid applications? Maybe this would work in the Crown Sedan as well. The rumored GX550h might be a 8GR hybrid. I don’t know what sort of transmission setup would be used though…maybe a new version of the multistage setup or the 8 speed AWD setup from the Land Cruiser?

qtb007

Follower
Reactions
The 8GR in the TX surprised me as well. Do you all think the 8GR would work well for rear drive hybrid applications? Maybe this would work in the Crown Sedan as well. The rumored GX550h might be a 8GR hybrid. I don’t know what sort of transmission setup would be used though…maybe a new version of the multistage setup or the 8 speed AWD setup from the Land Cruiser?
It has already been soft announced that the GX550h will be 2.4T hybrid. Click the following link and scroll down to "KEY SPECIFICATIONS OF THE NEW GX (PROTOTYPE)"

JMO, but the 8GR going into the TX isn't terribly surprising. The engine room is the same as the Highlander which has already had a 2GR V6. The big changepoint for the PHEV is likely the internals of the transaxle and a bigger battery, so everything already fit more or less.