16th Generation Toyota Crown (Sedan, Cross, Sport, Estate/Signia)

What do you think it is?

• Lexus GS

Votes: 4 10.0%
  • Toyota Crown

Votes: 32 80.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 10.0%

• Total voters

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Slammed to the ground and still looks tall imo. Give me the REAL Crown Sedan :mad:
Thinking over, the Crown sedan is a huge 5 m car. That is why an ICE IS is important, even the ES is much longer. The problem with the IS is mainly the hybrid and the V6, not competitive in terms of performance. Many on here seem to prefer an ICE IS over BEV, me not necessarily, but if the BEV IS is much slower than a Volvo, that might be a numbers issue. Glad the RZ looks like being very fast for 300ps and 2000kg.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
BestCar was predicting a 3.9s 0-100kph time for the base AWD model (270kW, 1900kg) of IS BEV. But they rarely get the specs right so don't take it too seriously.

Ali Manai

Follower
Reactions
Crown sport announcement on october 6th
Sedan in November

Gor134

Admirer
Reactions
Crown sport announcement on october 6th
Sedan in November
*me praying the sedan debut is in november so it debuts at the la auto show but is probably just a coincidence and not coming to the us*

Trexus

Founding Member
Reactions
Nah, keep them all. We don't kneel. We don't back down. We won't surrender. We want our RWD sedans. 😤😤
I love that! Hold the line and stand your ground. Keep the LS and bring back a 5GS! Hope your reading this Koji Sato-san.

Toyota is so big that they can afford to keep the entire Lexus sedan line. In 2022 worldwide sales, 5 of the top 10 highest selling vehicles were Toyota with the RAV4 at number 1 selling well over 1 million units worldwide. The RAV4 was also the highest selling worldwide vehicle in 2021 as well. Hope the RAV4 can do it again for 2023.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
I love that! Hold the line and stand your ground. Keep the LS and bring back a 5GS! Hope your reading this Koji Sato-san.

Toyota is so big that they can afford to keep the entire Lexus sedan line. In 2022 worldwide sales, 5 of the top 10 highest selling vehicles were Toyota with the RAV4 at number 1 selling well over 1 million units worldwide. The RAV4 was also the highest selling worldwide vehicle in 2021 as well. Hope the RAV4 can do it again for 2023.

what does that have to do with Lexus RWD sedans? They will not lose money on cars people dont buy because people buy Rav4, it does not work that way.

Make no mistake - Lexus GS is not sold anymore since it had low sales. If it had decent sales anywhere in the world, it would have still be sold.

Camry and ES will stay because they sell really well in both China and USA, rest of them are up to marketing.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
what does that have to do with Lexus RWD sedans? They will not lose money on cars people dont buy because people buy Rav4, it does not work that way.

The idea's always been that the volume cars give TMC headroom on the balance sheet to cover the lower profits from the non-volume cars. But the non-volume cars can't actively lose money unless it's a halo car like the LFA where they think increased interest in the brand will make up for the losses. The GS was cool, but it wasn't that.

It's going to be interesting to see if and how Toyota and Lexus change under Sato. Everything launching now is still Akio's, and I assume that'll be true for at least 2 more years.

JustADude

Follower
Reactions
Making a case for the GS would be hard since bigger sedans don't sell especially in NA. The only case I can make is an all new TNGA IS, compact luxury sedans are doing relatively fine. But we all know Lexus is making a bev IS

Sulu

Expert
Reactions
The idea's always been that the volume cars give TMC headroom on the balance sheet to cover the lower profits from the non-volume cars. But the non-volume cars can't actively lose money unless it's a halo car like the LFA where they think increased interest in the brand will make up for the losses. The GS was cool, but it wasn't that.

It's going to be interesting to see if and how Toyota and Lexus change under Sato. Everything launching now is still Akio's, and I assume that'll be true for at least 2 more years.
This is true of any automaker. Higher-sales cars cover the lower profits from lower-sales cars; that can be within a single model line or across the automaker's whole lineup. Model lines that are forecast to actively and consistently lose money are cancelled. This explains why Ford North America stopped selling its Fusion, Focus and Fiesta models, why Toyota cancelled the Avalon and why Lexus cancelled the GS.

The exception to this is the halo vehicle, like the LFA or Ford GT. Putting one of these in your window is expected to attract foot traffic into your store where the salespeople can then try to sell them a profitable NX, RX or ES.

Case in point: the local Lexus dealership advertised that they would have an LFA in the showroom. My son, not yet of driving age, and far from being able to afford a Lexus (much less an LFA) wanted to go see it. Once there, he and I would no doubt go climbing into the RX.

Making a case for the GS would be hard since bigger sedans don't sell especially in NA. The only case I can make is an all new TNGA IS, compact luxury sedans are doing relatively fine. But we all know Lexus is making a bev IS
I see this on the streets. Few and far between are the mid-size sedans like the E-Class, 5-Series and A6 (and GS), which once sold quite well. New A- and C-Class, 3-Series, A3 and IS, however, still roam the streets.

Gor134

Admirer
Reactions
IDK, at least here in SoCal, the midsize luxury segment does well. See lots of 5ers and E-Classes, as well as a few A6s and G80s on the streets. I think the luxury-side of the sedan segments still sells pretty well.

The value of having a car like a GS is you can push buyers into higher-priced models like BMW/Audi/Benz do, which you can't really have done with the ES.

But now with the F-Sport Performance pushing higher prices for *not that much performance* as seen on the RX500h/TX500h, Lexus can easily cover this with an ES500h FSP.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
The only BMW 5 I see anymore is the X5 (for what they cost, those things are everywhere). Even older examples of the 5 Series seem to have dried up.

Trexus

Founding Member
Reactions

Make no mistake - Lexus GS is not sold anymore since it had low sales. If it had decent sales anywhere in the world, it would have still be sold.

Camry and ES will stay because they sell really well in both China and USA, rest of them are up to marketing.
The LX, LC, LM and somewhat of the RC are low volume vehicles and Lexus still sells it. Can't see why Lexus can't sell a low volume GS to certain markets. Koji Sato-san is not a bean counter. He loves cars, he's the CEO of Toyota Motor Corporation and he can make it happen...

Levi

Expert
Reactions
The LX, LC, LM and somewhat of the RC are low volume vehicles and Lexus still sells it. Can't see why Lexus can't sell a low volume GS to certain markets. Koji Sato-san is not a bean counter. He loves cars, he's the CEO of Toyota Motor Corporation and he can make it happen...
LX and LM are not low volume, and they are very profitable.