JustADude

Follower
Reactions
My sources say the platform that the A100 and the LFR will ride on will be called the TNGA-A.
So toyota actually making their own sports cars with their own money? Definitely the Lexus will be 100% Toyota made, but good to know there is another supra on the way, want a I6 in there based on G16E

Reactions
So toyota actually making their own sports cars with their own money? Definitely the Lexus will be 100% Toyota made, but good to know there is another supra on the way, want a I6 in there based on G16E

I think what people need to understand is that Toyota beginning to build their own sports cars hinged on the fact that the partnerships had to be successful in order to justify doing things themselves.

And they did.

So they will.

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
What if i told you we arent going to be able to produce enough materials to support the current proposed rate of transition to ZEV if we rely purely on BEVs🤫
I can see where you are coming from being invested into the funding behind the EV landscape, and I respect that.

The issue here is the great divide between the public messaging from politicians and car companies alike and insiders/in the know industry folks.

For instance, we see everyone put in deadlines from 2025-2035 on the politician side of things, we have Toyota publicly state that everything from 2030 in Lexus is moving to electric, and then we have ICE motor development being wound down across the board.

Gor134

Admirer
Reactions
Good to know Audi is finally moving away from MLB and MLB evo platform, is the new PPC platform still going to have the engine place entirely in front of front axle?

It is to my understanding PPC will still follow the MLB-style engine over the front but still longitudinal, especially judging by the new B10 spyshots. Unfortunate, but wasn't expecting anything more :/ least the next gen Avants are coming to the US finally!

nt01

Fan
Reactions
It is to my understanding PPC will still follow the MLB-style engine over the front but still longitudinal, especially judging by the new B10 spyshots. Unfortunate, but wasn't expecting anything more :/ least the next gen Avants are coming to the US finally!
Do you mean allroad, or are we finally getting RS/S4 avant for B10 generation in the US?

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
My prediction is a huge supply chain crisis in the EV market (especially for BEV) in the 2024-2028 timeframe that will result in a significantly more practical BEV adoption schedule (for a very complex web of reasons). It will far dwarf the 2021-2024 chip crisis we are experiencing now.

The original "30 by 30" (30% BEV adoption in 2030) goal by an industry consortium was already ambitious enough, but then some politicians used that to their own advantage and they got in an arms race to propose the most radical BEV plans for votes. I'm thinking "15% by 35" and "50% by 50" as more likely outcomes globally.

nt01

Fan
Reactions
My prediction is a huge supply chain crisis in the EV market (especially for BEV) in the 2024-2028 timeframe that will result in a significantly more practical BEV adoption schedule (for a very complex web of reasons). It will far dwarf the 2021-2024 chip crisis we are experiencing now.

The original "30 by 30" (30% BEV adoption in 2030) goal by an industry consortium was already ambitious enough, but then some politicians used that to their own advantage and they got in an arms race to propose the most radical BEV plans for votes. I'm thinking "15% by 35" and "50% by 50" as more likely outcomes globally.
European car buyer has a range of gasoline and diesel engines to choose from for a long time. Why not just offer FCEV and BEV base on whatever suits the buyer better? Been driving my Mirai for a year, refueling experience has been acceptable here in California. Expanding the fueling infrastructure should be easier than finding enough minerals for the battery. Especially with all those restrictions impose recently by the US government on battery production.

Reactions
Considering the buyer, I would think ES goes hybrid-only for next gen before going full BEV.

2025 could coincide with the end of 3IS production, which was rumored to be 2021 - 2024 model years. A new 2025 IS BEV could be a great vehicle for all global markets.

Everyone, including Lexus, forgets about the LS. That would be the best fit for a new BEV sedan as LS was historically the forerunner of Lexus and the brand is headed towards being all electric... but it's hard to understand their priorities with that car, unfortunately.
Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts!

Reactions
Now given that the A100 GR Supra and LFA (LFR) are being developed, it looks like they're going to develop an all new platform dubbed as TNGA-A. It should be better than the TNGA-L platform and I suspect that there is a chance that the new IS could ride on that platform if it's not a full-EV.

Reactions
My guess is eTNGA 2.0 for 2025 and future Lexus BEVs. eTNGA needs to transition to cell-to-body by 2025, which requires a redesign to the mid-section.

GA-K like GA-C will be modified to E3 platform that allows PHV/BEV variants to be designed easily, although how that could be done is still beyond me.

There will be no platforms for future sports cars. Every one will have custom chassis optimized for a single purpose with motorsports as priority.

Reactions

I agree, I definitely think the world can certainly adopt more hybrids, both self-charging and plug-ins, but I don't realistically see BEVs taking over after 2025; it's really not that far away, actually.

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
No? BMW has a next-gen 3er in the works, separate from the electric i3 coming in 2025, Mercedes just launched the W205 and Audi has the B10 generation A5 coming soon on a brand new "PPC" platform, reinvesting with a whole new lineup of updated powertrains. Each big three are also launching their next-gen ICE 5er, E Class, and in two years new A6.

Still think Lexus can 100% make a case for a new gen IS, I mean the current *uncompetitive and outdated* IS is selling okay and has been on sale since 2014, a truly new gen could sell much better I would think
The sleek IS looking replacement model in the EV day might be an HEV/EV replacement, but as a HEV only, would that be able to crack the performance demands of the market? Going EV gives it a performance moniker it hasnt held in recent memory.

Last edited:

bogglo

Admirer
Reactions
I don't see the IS getting discontinued. The RX FSP and 450H+ are very significant cars showing what to expect from Lexus with respect to performance and daily driven cars.

The cool thing right now is TMC have all the engines, hybrid system and technology to compete with any car manufacturer the question is how they plan to do it.

Some of the post above have post legitimate reasons why its going to take a while before Lexus goes full EV
1. Take for instance if the ES goes full EV will it still be affordable to the regular ES buyers (LS makes more sense to go full EV first)
2. Reason people are probably not trippin too bad right now with PHEV is because they really don't need to charge it like the example mentioned about Prime owners.
3. Lastly is the logistics of going full EV as mentioned above supply chain crisis likely.

One smart thing though that TMC is doing in my opinion is Launching Crown globally. I feel like crown is needed to make it easy for Lexus to go full EV without loosing it's customer who are not ready to go full EV yet. So, the success of crown as a global vehicle will also play a role in Lexus ambition of going full EV.

Another question is why are we getting cars like the Corvette ZO6 and Escalade V, new Mustang etc. when everyone is talking about EVs

qtb007

Follower
Reactions
Side note, I always wondered what the stats are of PHEV owners actually plugging in their vehicles at night are. Most of the limited amount of folks I spoke to who own the new Prime Rav4, have yet to do so since delivery of their new Rav4.
I know several people with PHEVs (Rav4 Prime, Prius Prime, Volt, Pacifica) and they are all pretty fanatical about plugging in to minimize the amount of gas they use.

LS500-18

Follower
Reactions
I know several people with PHEVs (Rav4 Prime, Prius Prime, Volt, Pacifica) and they are all pretty fanatical about plugging in to minimize the amount of gas they use.
Yeah I had a Prius Plugin for 3 years and a RAV4 Prime now for 1.5 year, I always plug in, that's always the preferred driving because it's smoother, quieter, more efficient, etc. It's a no-brainer.

I suspect the only people not plugging in are those people that either don't pay for their own gas or they got a substantial tax break or other incentive to buy the car.

Abolish all "green" vehicle buying credits, put it into charging infrastructure, free parking, etc. instead of giving tax breaks to the rich. The market would be better off.