Faisal Sheikh

Admirer
Reactions
I don't think anyone will seriously compare IS500 with TLX Type-S. Do you feel if it's faster than GS-F/Pre-facelift RC-F?

There is an embargo on impressions. An educated guess can be made by looking at specs. RCF officially had a time of 4.4 seconds and 12.5 seconds (pre-face lift) and the GS-F had a time of 4.5 seconds and 12.8 seconds according to official Lexus brochure specs. Best tested time was 4.2 seconds for RCF and 4.4 seconds for GSF by C&D. There was a freak 3.9 seconds by R&T for the 2015 RCF (PCOTY, 2015), but it sounded like an error.

Officially, IS500 0-60 mph in 4.5 seconds. Quarter mile has not been yet released, but possibly the IS500 might be close to the RCF in a straight line. The unknowns are, the narrower rear tire/wheel/axle potentially hampering off the line traction.

p.s. Worth noting, despite the slightly shorter final drive/launch control on the 2020+, C&D tested pre-face lifted and post-face lifted RCF at about the same.

While we expect the Track Edition to join virtually all of the RC F's competitors in the sub-four-second-to-60-mph club, the standard RC F misses the cut with a 4.1-second time—a mere 0.1 second quicker than the previous RCF.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I don't think anyone will seriously compare IS500 with TLX Type-S.

Once the reviews for the TLX were out, I think you're right. Before that, Acura's hype machine made it look like it could be an interesting alternative to the IS 500.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Once the reviews for the TLX were out, I think you're right. Before that, Acura's hype machine made it look like it could be an interesting alternative to the IS 500.

Type S is the most overhyped badge we have maybe ever seen. We are talking Camry TRD or Sonata turbo performance.

To make matters worse this is an all new engine with 2 less liters and 2 less cylinders with one turbo and makes 21 MPG

The IS 500 with a much older engine with 2 more cylinders and 2 more liters with 122 more horsepower makes 20 MPG.

tHeY aRe An EnG!nE c0mPanY

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions
Type S is the most overhyped badge we have maybe ever seen. We are talking Camry TRD or Sonata turbo performance.

To make matters worse this is an all new engine with 2 less liters and 2 less cylinders with one turbo and makes 21 MPG

The IS 500 with a much older engine with 2 more cylinders and 2 more liters with 122 more horsepower makes 20 MPG.

tHeY aRe An EnG!nE c0mPanY
hOnDa Is ThE bEsT eNgInE mAnUfAcTuReR iN tHe WoRlD

My a$$, if they are really that great, then why they have never made a road car that can charge its way to and beyond 200 mph? They've never even made production V8 engines, let alone V10s and V12s, they only have one production car that makes more than 400hp from the factory.

Smychavo

Follower
Reactions
Y'know, I think I get the criticism. For awhile I felt the car was being a bit unfairly judged on account of it's flaws, but I totally get it. For not much more, there are other options which do the 'do all sedan' a bit better. Or to put it in a different light, there are other vehicles that perform certain aspects that the TLX attempts to achieve significantly better. An ES is vastly more spacious with an elegant interior and calming ride. The S-Line Audis deliver great power and AWD performance. And of course, any sports car be it 86, Supra, etc would whoop it in the handling department. That's not even mentioning the engine and transmission combo. Every one of those vehicles have more engaging powertrains. Turbocharged or not. It's a deeply flawed sport sedan that in the face of its competition, and at this point in time can be considered an also-ran. I love its styling, and the feel of its interior, and perhaps it's 'jack of all trades master of none' perception keeps me coming back. But I have a strong feeling that despite that, should I get in the seat of say, a RWD IS 350/500, or an ES, I'll find more to love there underneath than I would the TLX.

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
Having seen TLXs populate like the common cold, I do like the road presence the TLX brings to the table. Similar to the TL back in the day. The RWD Lexus IS though is still my favorite in the Japanese selection of sedans just because of how slick and under the radar the design is.

Smychavo

Follower
Reactions
Having seen TLXs populate like the common cold, I do like the road presence the TLX brings to the table. Similar to the TL back in the day. The RWD Lexus IS though is still my favorite in the Japanese selection of sedans just because of how slick and under the radar the design is.
How interesting! Over in So-Cal I've hardly seen the TLX around, meanwhile I've seen my fair share of IS, of which its styling certainly grew on my by comparison!

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions

Yet another "our NSX factory doesn't have anything better to do" edition.

mikeavelli

Reactions
The 2023 TLX got a significant price bump. Makes the IS 500 that much more appealing

• TLX 3.0T Type S SH-AWD: $56,445 ($1,650)
  • TLX 3.0T Type S SH-AWD with Performance Wheels and Tires: $57,245 ($1,650)
  • TLX 3.0T Type S SH-AWD PMC Edition: $63,995

Acura priced their PMC cars at an insane $64,000.

Sales have been a disaster with or without chip issues. In all of 2022 they sold 11,500 TLX’s. it’s crazy to think this is a car that sold 70k units in 2004 and outsold the ES 350 a few years back then.

The IS sold 21k units nearly double and the ES 41k units.

Reactions
The 2023 TLX got a significant price bump. Makes the IS 500 that much more appealing

Sales have been a disaster with or without chip issues. In all of 2022 they sold 11,500 TLX’s. it’s crazy to think this is a car that sold 70k units in 2004 and outsold the ES 350 a few years back then.

Given how insanely old the IS is, those numbers are quite impressive.

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions

Acura is just such a joke.

Their supercar flop is still biting into them it seems. I legit want to know the people that actually bought those PMC versions of Acura models.

Faisal Sheikh

Admirer
Reactions
Given how insanely old the IS is, those numbers are quite impressive.

I picked the 2019 IS350 F-Sport because of things that are missing in the new 340i etc. Perfect size (compact and small, yet can carry a lot), perfect looks, perfect engine (in my opinion, the 3.5 liter v6 is one of the best engines ever made), perfect driving feel. I was not disappointed after 3 months of ownership. This platform does not feel dated at all. Best way I could describe it, it feels like a 4 door, a bit more practical/street-oriented/bigger E46 M3 I drove many years ago.

e0e06c8b-4e63-4478-9a2c-66b2b433f835.png

Last edited:
Reactions
I picked the 2019 IS350 F-Sport because of things that are missing in the new 340i etc. Perfect size (compact and small, yet can carry a lot), perfect looks, perfect engine (in my opinion, the 3.5 liter v6 is one of the best engines ever made), perfect driving feel. I was not disappointed after 3 months of ownership. This platform does not feel dated at all. Best way I could describe it, it feels like a 4 door, a bit more practical/street-oriented/bigger E46 M3 I drove many years ago.

View attachment 6774

Fair enough.

For me, my two go-to sports sedans are the IS500 FSP and the M340i. Both are so well-executed. I don't care about the competition too much.

Last edited: