joepac

Fan
Reactions
And there's 80% more 2021 IS's than TLXs on the road...I can count one instance that I spotted a new TLX, but I've seen more the new IS, and many of them F Sports, so I'm even surprised to see that many since most of the vehicles in the area are trucks.

Speaking of which, how much mark up have Type S owners been paying?
View attachment 4967
View attachment 4968
WTH is "Market Adjust"? Is it just dealer markup dressed up to sound legitimate?

mikeavelli

Reactions
Wow that looks massive compared to the ES... I like the ES style much better.

it had the Superman badge up front snd the rest of the car could be anything. At least the ES has a cohesive design language. The ES also follows its predecessor and Acura just make anything every generation. That said the new Tlx is far better than the last one.

I like how Lexus manages to merge some sharp angles with rounded parts.

Reactions
WTH is "Market Adjust"? Is it just dealer markup dressed up to sound legitimate?
Its dealer justifying them to charge more than sticker. To me, none of that is legitimate, but that's the business, and some buyers are willing to pay it.

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions
Its dealer justifying them to charge more than sticker. To me, none of that is legitimate, but that's the business, and some buyers are willing to pay it.
I'll never understand why they are a decent amount of people that are willing to pay more than MSRP for a car, and most of the time those car are mass produced and aren't even all that special, FK8 CTR, the overrated mk3 Focus RS and certain versions of the Mustang pop up in my mind.

Reactions
I'll never understand why they are a decent amount of people that are willing to pay more than MSRP for a car, and most of the time those car are mass produced and aren't even all that special, FK8 CTR, the overrated mk3 Focus RS and certain versions of the Mustang pop up in my mind.
Special is super subjective. To a dealer, a special car is one that can be sold over sticker and then some. Like the early 2020 Supras, some dealers were asking over MSRP. When word of the A91s were coming out, some dealers had to slash prices, and Toyota even gave them incentives to sell down the A90s. TRD Pro and RAV4 Primes are commonly subjected to markups as well. If you haven't been to your local dealer, many of them have marked up all their new inventory, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

mikeavelli

Reactions
I looked snd the highest I saw was 70k and many for 60k. Dealers are adding 5k markup and accessories. I snooped around and the aCuRa fans who were interested seem to now be turned off. The entire point of the brand is value. Might as well go German or Lexus at those prices.

They tried marketing up the NSX when it debuted and they sat. Next thing they were 30k off.
49AF6EF6-572A-468A-A0F3-2279B771D4E8.png
While not head on competition note the CT-5 Blackwing is about the same size, weighs a bit less with over 300 more hp.

Reactions
I looked snd the highest I saw was 70k and many for 60k. Dealers are adding 5k markup and accessories. I snooped around and the aCuRa fans who were interested seem to now be turned off. The entire point of the brand is value. Might as well go German or Lexus at those prices.
When the IS500 arrives, it will be interesting to see which dealers will sell over sticker; most likely the bigger and reputable ones won't charge over MSRP, but I would figure many dealers have taken deposits already for their allocation(s)?
While not head on competition note the CT-5 Blackwing is about the same size, weighs a bit less with over 300 more hp.
The BW looks exciting especially with the manual.

mikeavelli

Reactions
When the IS500 arrives, it will be interesting to see which dealers will sell over sticker; most likely the bigger and reputable ones won't charge over MSRP, but I would figure many dealers have taken deposits already for their allocation(s)?

The BW looks exciting especially with the manual.

In recent memory the Track Edition and some Inspiration Series cars have had some market adjustment. I’m unsure if that strategy worked but these cars cost nearly twice as much if not twice as much as an IS 500.

I get weekly messages from people asking about IS 500 allocation. I’ve never seen a Lexus with this much early demand. This car debuted in March at the Sebring Race Track. It’s astounding.

Getting back to the type-s when things calm down and when they start going for invoice or so, again it’s a good deal to me in that space. If you are a Honda/acura fan for 50k in your own vacuum it’s a good car. When you compare it to the ES or IS 350 it’s a nice car. When you compare it to the cars acura wants you to believe it competes against it is worst in class.

Acura product snd marketing needs a serious wake up call. They are delusional.

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions
I'll take whatever the hell acura's marketing department is smoking, must be some strong sh!t.

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
I think the custom duties for imported vehicles to Malaysia are steep. Maybe the government has done away with it and maybe Proton is no longer in business. I haven't tried figuring those out.

But looking at Honda Civic vs. Toyota Corolla and even Honda City vs. Toyota Yaris, I think the Honda's drive a lot better truth to be told. Maybe with the TNGA, the Toyota's have improved a lot but like what people have been saying, Honda's package their cars better, except for the TLX, there's usually more interior space. I tried to sit behind me in a Toyota Corolla hatch here in Canada and the rear leg room is almost non-existent and I'm only 1.68m tall. Talk about a waste of a nice looking vehicle.

Of course if we are talking about reliability, Toyota > Honda but I doubt anyone brags to friends about one's car's reliability. It's always about the fun factor and after market support / mod availability.

I'm still hoping Acura small compact sedan fixes the flaws on the TLX. Always better for consumers to have a healthy competition amongst manufacturers.

Can't wait for a Lexus IS-derivative BEV. I'm sure it's going to be a blast to drive.

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions
I think the custom duties for imported vehicles to Malaysia are steep. Maybe the government has done away with it and maybe Proton is no longer in business. I haven't tried figuring those out.

But looking at Honda Civic vs. Toyota Corolla and even Honda City vs. Toyota Yaris, I think the Honda's drive a lot better truth to be told. Maybe with the TNGA, the Toyota's have improved a lot but like what people have been saying, Honda's package their cars better, except for the TLX, there's usually more interior space. I tried to sit behind me in a Toyota Corolla hatch here in Canada and the rear leg room is almost non-existent and I'm only 1.68m tall. Talk about a waste of a nice looking vehicle.

Of course if we are talking about reliability, Toyota > Honda but I doubt anyone brags to friends about one's car's reliability. It's always about the fun factor and after market support / mod availability.

I'm still hoping Acura small compact sedan fixes the flaws on the TLX. Always better for consumers to have a healthy competition amongst manufacturers.

Can't wait for a Lexus IS-derivative BEV. I'm sure it's going to be a blast to drive.
Wrong, all those excise duties on vehicles manufactured by non-local car manufacturers are still very much a thing. Proton still exists, although 49% of it is now owned by Geely with DRB Hicom owning the remaining 51%. Idk what you're on but the Yaris/Vios drives better than the City.

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
Wrong, all those excise duties on vehicles manufactured by non-local car manufacturers are still very much a thing. Proton still exists, although 49% of it is now owned by Geely with DRB Hicom owning the remaining 51%. Idk what you're on but the Yaris/Vios drives better than the City.

These guys don't think so:

Maybe you can share a comparo between the two.

It's okay to think Toyota's are better, you just have to cite a few examples outside your personal experience. Even C/D gives the Accord and Civic the accolade though they may be very biased.

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions
These guys don't think so:

Maybe you can share a comparo between the two.

It's okay to think Toyota's are better, you just have to cite a few examples outside your personal experience. Even C/D gives the Accord and Civic the accolade though they may be very biased.

Here, go read it for yourself, and before you assume anything more about my opinions I've driven the Vios properly before and it's more composed over bumpy roads amd has better body control than the City, the City's driving dynamics are best described as soft and floaty, its overly assisted steering doesn't help matters, the Vios' steering effort feels more natural, the City definitely beats the Vios in full throttle acceleration though, but in normal driving situations you won't be able to feel much of a difference because the City's power advantage over the Vios all happens at high rpm, the thing I find disappointing is that there are some older cars from the same category as the Vios and City that are quicker than both of them because they aren't as heavy as their modern equivalents🤣, since there's typically not much advancement in powertrain technology in this segment of cars yet they still get bigger and heavier with every new generation, it's a lot more likely for them to become slower than to becomer quicker, especially the Vios, the 1st gen and 2nd gen Vios are so much quicker than the current gen Vios and the unnecessarily relaxed tuning of the current gen Vios' powertrain is just rubbing salt into the wound(just my opinion but I feel like the performance of the 2NR-FE is kinda garbage to begin with when compared to the 1NZ-FE, throw in the leisurely powertrain tuning and it just gets even worse).

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions

Here, go read it for yourself, and before you assume anything more about my opinions I've driven the Vios properly before and it's more composed over bumpy roads amd has better body control than the City, the City's driving dynamics are best described as soft and floaty, its overly assisted steering doesn't help matters, the Vios' steering effort feels more natural, the City definitely beats the Vios in full throttle acceleration though, but in normal driving situations you won't be able to feel much of a difference because the City's power advantage over the Vios all happens at high rpm, the thing I find disappointing is that there are some older cars from the same category as the Vios and City that are quicker than both of them because they aren't as heavy as their modern equivalents🤣, since there's typically not much advancement in powertrain technology in this segment of cars yet they still get bigger and heavier with every new generation, it's a lot more likely for them to become slower than to becomer quicker, especially the Vios, the 1st gen and 2nd gen Vios are so much quicker than the current gen Vios and the unnecessarily relaxed tuning of the current gen Vios' powertrain is just rubbing salt into the wound(just my opinion but I feel like the performance of the 2NR-FE is kinda garbage to begin with when compared to the 1NZ-FE, throw in the leisurely powertrain tuning and it just gets even worse).
The review I shared said the City's steering was the heaviest. Maybe they tune the two cars very different for the Philippines and Malaysia domestic market lol.

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions
The review I shared said the City's steering was the heaviest. Maybe they tune the two cars very different for the Philippines and Malaysia domestic market lol.
Heavier than even the Mazda 2's steering? That's impossible, I personally have experience with both the latest generations of Mazdas and Hondas, and the Mazdas always have heavier steering and much better feedback than the Hondas, also it makes no sense to tune the City so differently for 2 countries that belong in the same region, plus most people in my country dislike overly assisted steering and soft, floaty suspension because we do a lot of highway driving and quite a lot sections are twisty and uneven, so high speed stability is pretty important.

Last edited:

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Having driven the IS 500 and looking at how the TLX Type S accelerates, it's pretty clear to me that the IS 500 will.... well... never mind. I guess I can't say yet 😩 .

You can do the math on 3,900lbs and 472hp vs 4,200lbs and 355hp.
I don't think anyone will seriously compare IS500 with TLX Type-S. Do you feel if it's faster than GS-F/Pre-facelift RC-F?