Jeonsa

Fan
Reactions
Can't they put in a RPM limiter instead? The TLX has a turbo charged engine and it probably doesn't need to get to the redline anyway to get the maximum HP haha.
Honestly when a auto is put into manual mode, let it be similar to a manual transmission as far as bouncing off the rev limiter etc. If the customer breaks something that’s at their discretion. Most people with these cars (the average joe) leave it in auto anyways.

flipside909

Premium Member
Reactions
The new TLX reminds me of the Mazda 6. Kind of has a weird hoodline that looks like the top of a duckbill to me. Acura missed the mark on this car in my opinion.

Faisal Sheikh

Admirer
Reactions
C&D got 4.9 seconds 0-60 mph and 13.6 seconds in the 1/4 mile. The trap speed of only 103 mph means it is running out of steam close to the end of the 1/4 mile.

Specifications​

2021 Acura TLX Type S
Vehicle Type: front-engine, all-wheel-drive, 5-passenger, 4-door sedan
PRICE
Base/As Tested: $53,325/$54,625
Options: Summer tires, $800; Tiger Eye Pearl paint, $500
ENGINE
turbocharged and intercooled DOHC 24-valve V-6, aluminum block and heads, direct fuel injection
Displacement: 183 in3, 2997 cm3
Power: 355 hp @ 5500 rpm
Torque: 354 lb-ft @ 1400 rpm
TRANSMISSION
10-speed automatic
CHASSIS
Suspension, F/R: control arms/multilink
Brakes, F/R: 14.3-in vented disc/13.0-in disc
Tires: Pirelli P Zero PZ4
255/35R-20 97Y

DIMENSIONS
Wheelbase: 113.0 in
Length: 194.6 in
Width: 75.2 in
Height: 56.4 in
Passenger Volume: 93 ft3
Trunk Volume: 14 ft3
Curb Weight: 4201 lb
C/D TEST RESULTS
60 mph: 4.9 sec
100 mph: 12.6 sec
1/4-Mile: 13.6 sec @ 103 mph
130 mph: 24.2 sec
Results above omit 1-ft rollout of 0.3 sec.
Rolling Start, 5–60 mph: 5.5 sec
Top Gear, 30–50 mph: 3.3 sec
Top Gear, 50–70 mph: 4.5 sec
Top Speed (C/D est): 155 mph
Braking, 70–0 mph: 165 ft
Braking, 100–0 mph: 359 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft Skidpad: 0.96 g
C/D FUEL ECONOMY
Observed: 19 mpg
EPA FUEL ECONOMY
Combined/City/Highway: 21/19/24 mpg

Last edited:

Sebass

Follower
Reactions
C&D got 4.9 seconds 0-60 mph and 13.6 seconds in the 1/4 mile. The trap speed of only 103 mph means it is running out of steam close to the end of the 1/4 mile.

Specifications​

2021 Acura TLX Type S
Vehicle Type: front-engine, all-wheel-drive, 5-passenger, 4-door sedan
PRICE
Base/As Tested: $53,325/$54,625
Options: Summer tires, $800; Tiger Eye Pearl paint, $500
ENGINE
turbocharged and intercooled DOHC 24-valve V-6, aluminum block and heads, direct fuel injection
Displacement: 183 in3, 2997 cm3
Power: 355 hp @ 5500 rpm
Torque: 354 lb-ft @ 1400 rpm
TRANSMISSION
10-speed automatic
CHASSIS
Suspension, F/R: control arms/multilink
Brakes, F/R: 14.3-in vented disc/13.0-in disc
Tires: Pirelli P Zero PZ4
255/35R-20 97Y

DIMENSIONS
Wheelbase: 113.0 in
Length: 194.6 in
Width: 75.2 in
Height: 56.4 in
Passenger Volume: 93 ft3
Trunk Volume: 14 ft3
Curb Weight: 4201 lb
C/D TEST RESULTS
60 mph: 4.9 sec
100 mph: 12.6 sec
1/4-Mile: 13.6 sec @ 103 mph
130 mph: 24.2 sec
Results above omit 1-ft rollout of 0.3 sec.
Rolling Start, 5–60 mph: 5.5 sec
Top Gear, 30–50 mph: 3.3 sec
Top Gear, 50–70 mph: 4.5 sec
Top Speed (C/D est): 155 mph
Braking, 70–0 mph: 165 ft
Braking, 100–0 mph: 359 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft Skidpad: 0.96 g
C/D FUEL ECONOMY
Observed: 19 mpg
EPA FUEL ECONOMY
Combined/City/Highway: 21/19/24 mpg
Jesus, so it's slower than an Audi A4 45, we're not even talking about the S4.

Faisal Sheikh

Admirer
Reactions
Jesus, so it's slower than an Audi A4 45, we're not even talking about the S4.

Yeah, an IS350 F-Sport traps at 100 mph. This is only 3 mph higher than that. Looks like the drivetrain loss is very high due to power sapping AWD. It is 20%, which is quite typical for AWD. It does have impressive handling numbers especially for a 60% plus weight over the front axle. The torque vectoring seems to be doing wonders there.

Sebass

Follower
Reactions
Yeah, an IS350 F-Sport traps at 100 mph. This is only 3 mph higher than that. Looks like the drivetrain loss is very high due to power sapping AWD. It is 20%, which is quite typical for AWD. It does have impressive handling numbers especially for a 60% plus weight over the front axle. The torque vectoring seems to be doing wonders there.
Yeah, you definitely can't judge a car based on acceleration alone. Still embarrassing though, and disappointing.

Jeonsa

Fan
Reactions
As an update the Tlx is a slug. 0-60 in 5 seconds and just underwhelming. The acura and Honda forums are destroying it. They can’t believe how over hyped the car was and this is what they got. IS 500 will have no problem with this car.
Makes you wonder what’s going on at Acura. Lmao. All that hype too.

Faisal Sheikh

Admirer
Reactions
Saw it this morning. Got really its clock cleaned by the S4. 7+ car lengths is a very big difference as it translates to about 1 second in the 1/4 mile. The AWD S4 test times are around 12.9 - 13.0 seconds so the IS500 with a proper launch SHOULD be quicker than the S4. I think IS500's real competitor is the m340i RWD. The thing is, 2nd gen 2UR on the average makes 390 - 400 whp on a dynojet, which is around 100+ whp more, but you realize the power mostly from a rolling start (50 mph in 2nd gear roll, for example). since RWD is not optimal for launch starts. Also, time attacks are always with a flying start.

Also, these guys are hinting at some early staged races at launch events of TL-S vs S4 where they were sandbagging it (Sofyan at redlinereviews is a big Honda fan who blew those staged races out of proportion), but now reality comes out.

This is their leaderboard:

TLS.png

Last edited:

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Also, these guys are hinting at some early staged races at launch events of TL-S vs S4 where they were sandbagging it (Sofyan at redlinereviews is a big Honda fan who blew those staged races out of proportion), but now reality comes out.

Having watched Sofyan's reviews for a few years and then meeting him in Plano, I think his anti-Toyota/Lexus bias is starting to show more than he realizes. Everything Toyota/Lexus is slow/old/underpowered/unimpressive/door doesn't close with a satisfying "clunk" but everything from Honda and Hyundai is the holy grail.

I watched his TLX Type S video(s) and he talked at length about how incredible it was being a "former" Honda and VTEC fanboy and getting to drive the new Type S, and made very light of the car's lack of tech features (something he dogs Toyota/Lexus for) and weight.

It seems most recently, he even got another TLX Type S to drive around to see how low he could get for 0-60 times because his first run didn't seem satisfying enough (at the launch event). Since when does automotive media keep re-testing cars to get the lowest numbers possible? It would be nice for someone to give Lexus that special treatment.

bogglo

Admirer
Reactions
lol
Having watched Sofyan's reviews for a few years and then meeting him in Plano, I think his anti-Toyota/Lexus bias is starting to show more than he realizes. Everything Toyota/Lexus is slow/old/underpowered/unimpressive/door doesn't close with a satisfying "clunk" but everything from Honda and Hyundai is the holy grail.

I watched his TLX Type S video(s) and he talked at length about how incredible it was being a "former" Honda and VTEC fanboy and getting to drive the new Type S, and made very light of the car's lack of tech features (something he dogs Toyota/Lexus for) and weight.

It seems most recently, he even got another TLX Type S to drive around to see how low he could get for 0-60 times because his first run didn't seem satisfying enough (at the launch event). Since when does automotive media keep re-testing cars to get the lowest numbers possible? It would be nice for someone to give Lexus that special treatment.
looking at where the RCF is on that list I think it's safe to say the IS F sports performance will or should not be compared to the Type S. Interior wise from a driver's perspective the IS is also better looking in my opinion especially with the introduction of the touch screen.

mikeavelli

Reactions

Agreed. I’ve stated for years that the media has some weird Honda/Acura fetish. I think it’s because many grew up in moms accord and got a civic. It makes just no sense. Honda and Acura today are NOTHING like the 1990s brand we loved. They rarely ever call them out for it. Meanwhile if Toyota or Lexus has a cassette player it’s the end of the world.

Also note, Lexus got slammed for the touch pad and Acura copied the exact same thing and there is no screaming about it. Somehow it’s acceptable.

Has Acura even released performance figures yet? I don’t think we have a NSX Nurburgring time either. Their marketing department screams this performance angle including their SUVS which is ridiculous. If you go to the Tlx website they are really stretching comparisons with the Germans. It’s like they must think people are stupid. Or maybe they think their fans are.

in comparison, Audi doesn’t scream about the S4. They take a nice sleeper approach. BMW doesn’t really promote the M440i as some beast even tho it really is. Lexus barely whispered the IS 500 until it launched and has been quiet since.

Acura and their fanboys? For 12 months we got ads and yelling how “TYPE- S IS BACK” when quite frankly, no one cared it left.

What a joke. Talk about over promising and under delivering.

Finally, again, the irony is this seems compelling against its true competition , the Lexus ES F SPORT or even the IS 350 F SPORT. Not the Germans and not the IS 500